New shade of Green on British Military Vehicles?

Dave Fleming

Looking at the Engineering vehicles on display at Leuchars this year, I noticed the 'green' of these was different to the one I've been used to seeing on British military vehicles (NATO Green) - it was less Olive, more Blue-ish. The photos are a little over exposed, but I've posted them without correction.

DSC_5379.jpg

The JCB in the foreground is in a (slightly faded) version of the colour I usually associate with British mIl vehicles.

DSC_5380.jpg

DSC_5381.jpg

Anyone know if this is a new colour in use, just a new paint or something else? (If asked to 'guess a shade' I'd say these were closer to BS267 Deep Chrome Green)

Edited by Dave Fleming

Not too sure what the colour is called but if the Oshkosh tankers are any thing to go by it will fade very soon, to the usual light green!

But I can try and find out, most deffo IRR paint, though.

Edited by ferny

Not too sure what the colour is called but if the Oshkosh tankers are any thing to go by it will fade very soon, to the usual light green!

But I can try and find out, most deffo IRR paint, though.

I noticed the new green on an IVECO 6x6 with rear mounted Hiab/Atlas type crane when they were laying the mats for the airshow park & rides.

There are some really unusual things happening with colours in the MoD at the Moment. For Gulf war 2 we (the RAF) adopted BS380 for vehicles and GSE in desert regions. You may be aware that this is the the UK equivalent of FS 30279 - the colour we used on aircraft and some MT & GSE in Gulf war 1.

However some of our (RAF) MT assetts are now under army management (again) , this includes all fire tenders- the revamp of the RIV and MFV for service in Afgan now includes a desert paint job in the Army's standard desert colour BS 361 Lt Stone !!

Returning to the new green, it could be matt BS224 Deep Bronze green- some RE gear remained in BS224 along side BS 285 NATO green. . OR it may not be a BS colour, You may have noticed the new light blue signs around Leuchars, there is a big one by where the spotters park near the guardbridge end crash gate- I expected these new signs to be BS 101 Sky but no the RAF are moving to the PANTONE range- I believe they have chosen PMS 5503 as the RAF's new corporate colour !!!

Some German vehicles are in the 3 colour scheme others in a single green colour- The RE green could be from the RAL range as it looks identical to the single green German finish. I will endeavour to find out more.

TED

RAF Balmullo.

Edited by ted angus

However some of our (RAF) MT assetts are now under army management (again) , this includes all fire tenders- the revamp of the RIV and MFV for service in Afgan now includes a desert paint job in the Army's standard desert colour BS 361 Lt Stone !!

Hi Ted! Indeed, I saw the one that I had noticed on the M74 was indeed at Leuchars.

I can understand them moving to a Pantone reference for signs/corporate publications as it's almost universal in graphics - I'd imagine that a signwriter would scratch his head if asked to make a sign in 'BSC381 C colour 101'!!

Thanks for your responses chaps.

Hi Ted! Indeed, I saw the one that I had noticed on the M74 was indeed at Leuchars.

I can understand them moving to a Pantone reference for signs/corporate publications as it's almost universal in graphics - I'd imagine that a signwriter would scratch his head if asked to make a sign in 'BSC381 C colour 101'!!

Thanks for your responses chaps.

I believe the Florian MFVs are still here; The lads who do the grahics are tearing their hair out, all the colour tapes for the graphics PC system is going to Pantone but all the aircraft markings produced on the machine are still called for in BS code - Sign of the times the left not knowing what the right is doing !

I am going to a presentation on base on thursday I will try and make a new contact at the RE regt - all my old contacts in the RE/REME outfit in 57 hangar have either moved on or retired.

Regards

http://www.alcvehicles.com/index.php

Dave et al. have a good delve into the attached. When I left the Service BARLOW were looking aftere all mech handling gear but a new consortium now provides all the UK's military plant. I have had a quick look at their website and the colour is still mentioned as NATO green, however I have established an eggshell finish is now used instead of matt. From my previous experience with BS 241 I know many greens and other darker colours take on a totally different appearance with a change of sheen. When we got the first GSE & MT in BS 241 semi gloss I couldn't believe just how different it was to the matt BS 241 we had previously used on many of our fast jets. I have already asked some questions down at Leuchars and tomorrow I will e mail ALC - it will be nice to get a definative answer for my note book !

TED

Pantone 5503 is 'Arctic Bluish Grey' - here:-

99BFC2

Thanks for that link, I quoted Sky blue I should have said Pale Blue BSC 111 and this is a very close match to 5503 according to the link.

I think all my contacts down at Leuchars have desserted can't get in touch with any of them today.

TED

Thanks for that link, I quoted Sky blue I should have said Pale Blue BSC 111 and this is a very close match to 5503 according to the link.

I think all my contacts down at Leuchars have desserted can't get in touch with any of them today.

TED

Eventually got in touch with my contact. Firstly re the Pantone - tapes for the graphics machine are 5503, on the tins of paint is 550.

Re the new Green - some small repair /touchup jobs with the new paint have been undertaken by the paintshop. Nothing recorded from the tin at the time but my contact will speak with the REs to see what is on the tin. It appears the RAF are also receiving MT/GSE in the new scheme and they are currently awaiting full details of the new scheme.

TED