Italeri AC-47

hythe

Hi guys, I'm in - with a 1/72 Italeri AC-47. I have a couple of 1/72 and 1/48 C-47s in the stash, also, but didn't quite have the decal choices to hand that I'd like in 1/72, or the display space at the moment for a built 1/48...

Anyway, no pics yet, I'm afraid - so far I've only glued the wing halves together and painted the first coat on the interior. Will try to upload some pics tomorrow, when there's something to show.

Been about 25 years since I last built one of these - that was an Airfix AC-47. Looking forward to it!

Edited by hythe

Look forward to seeing this one :)

I put one of these together a few years ago and remember that it built into a nice model. I purchased another one couple of weeks ago and only criticism is the decals which seem a bit sparse but then the AC-47 wasn't exactly colourful ;)

Are you going to use the kit decals?

Michael

Yes, I think it's the kit decals for this one.

Haven't made huge progress on this one, beyond tracking down more info from various sources - particularly the Squadron "Gunships" book. It looks as if the guns in the Italeri kit are of the earlier variety, which is consistent with the 1965 decal scheme.

Does look like a fairly simple build - mine will be OOB.

First photos (not too exciting so far, bear with me!)

IMG_0494.jpg

The business end... assembled...

IMG_0495.jpg

... and painted (though I'm not happy with the Aluminium - Metalcote 27001 - so I'll re-do them in 27002) - some stencils and stuff also to be painted on to the pods themselves still. And crikey, I just noticed the mess I made of the gunmetal on one of the barrels - just gone back and sorted that out!

IMG_0498.jpg

Bear with me, folks, I'm starting to get the hang of this photobucket thingy!

Edited by hythe

Some (slow) progress, folks - the interior is what I'm going to call complete - nowhere near as lovely as AndyC's, but then this is 1/72...

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

The Testors Dark Green looks very, er, green. Vibrant, almost.

Nothing fancy in the cockpit. Might yet scratchbuild a gunsight for the pilot's window. Ground out a hole for the astrodome - almost round!

Now, I'm contemplating taking a different approach on painting - masking the windows and guns seems a bit dull, and I'm brush painting the thing, so I'm thinking of priming the body and wings now, and putting the camo around the window apertures, before installing the transparencies and sealing up the fuselage.

Thanks to t'other Andy for the resin wheel wells. Unfortunately, one of my U/C legs has already broken! Fortunately, I have a couple of other C-47s in the stash, so I can cannibalise and make one of those wheels up, unless I happen to come across some cheap metal ones (unlikely, let's face it!)

Nice job hythe, mate. I dunno about a nice interior on mine - only good if you have a torch when its done! Yours looks great anyway.

Such a difference in the gun size and fit when comparing the SUU/MXU combination isn't it? Are you doing the SEA camouflage version?

Goof job

Andy

• 1 month later...

Sorry, guys, my spooky has made some progress since my last post. Had hoped to finish it this weekend, but I've been down with the flu since Thursday, so it just hasn't happened (not while the rest of the family's ill with it too!)

:(

Will post pics of the finished build in the "Ready for Inspection" section, once complete...

Sorry, guys, my spooky has made some progress since my last post. Had hoped to finish it this weekend, but I've been down with the flu since Thursday, so it just hasn't happened (not while the rest of the family's ill with it too!)

:(

Will post pics of the finished build in the "Ready for Inspection" section, once complete...

Unlucky mate and get well. I too look forward to seeing the result - what a pity we couldn't have had another Spooky in the RFI section!

Andy

tis a shame Hythe, but we can't do anything about illness, when it strikes it stirkes. Thanks for joining in all the same, and maybe get this one finished in the KUTA GB. :)

Too right - I have a couple of GBs to finish in KUTA!