1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage

AndyC

Hi all

I have belatedly decided to join this GB - I was intending to build this baby anyway and realised the GB was going and thought...'why not?'

The kit is the Tamiya Birdcage Corsair and the intention is to try and build one of those hugely worn and weathered Solomon Islands aircraft that flew so heroically against the Japanese, so plenty of fading, chipping, shading and general wear and tear :D

I can play about trying to mix my own salmon-primer too!

Here is the obligatory box and sprue shot...I hope to get tucked into this over the next week

001.jpg

See you soon

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Nice!

A well weathered Corsair is always welcome!

I think so too!

"hugely worn and weathered ... plenty of fading, chipping, shading and general wear and tear"

Oh yummy! Just what I like to see. I eagerly anticipate pictures of this one. Please, if you can, show us all the stages of your weathering techniques.

Rod for my own back here, I think! I have seen some pretty inspired builds of these birds and they look great. Within the limits of my photographic skills, Don, I will be more than happy to...not usre it will be on the scale of the Alaskan tome however... :D

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm just hurt! :(

Corsair

Looking forward to seeing what the 1:48 Tamiya is like! I didn't weather mine much at all, so also looking forward to seeing a dirty one! :)

J.

Haha! Jason yours was fine - a great build if I may say! I am busy at work (for once) so my modelling time is limited and I have been concentrating on the AC-47 in the Dakota STGB whenever I can, however I am going to make a start on this next week.

The 1/48 Tamiya kits are almost effortless in fit and detail which is good because I woudl like to concentrate on the finish for once...

Andy

Hi all

The Spooky in the Dakota GB is settling under a coat of Klear, so I have now made start on this GB too!

After looking at lots of photographs and reading Bill Reece's detailed doc on WWII USN/USMC cockpit colours I am no better off :D

Actually the consensus appears to be that the 'birdcage' corsairs were either black or dull dark green in the cockpit. I chose the latter for my cockpit and used Xtracrylix British Deep Bronze Green (which I think is an AFV colour?). It looks OK-ish and is definitely darker than cockpit interior green.

009.jpg

010.jpg

The other consensus seems to be that the wheel wells, inside engine compartment and cowling were the (in)famous salmon pink. I mixed some by eye using (almost like real life) Tamiya Zinc Chromate Yellow and Red and got what looks quite bright at the moment but will be toned down with washes and drybrushing.

008.jpg

I will try and start sticking some plastic on this tomorrow, so ta for looking and all comments welcome

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Hi all

Some more progress today before going back to my Dak...

Putting the various bit of cockpit together - I was going to use my new Airscale decals for the IP but in the end I used the kit decal. Before gluing a quick drybrush with Tamita Silver - I didn't bother with a wash because of the dark cockpit colour. Seatbelts are wine bottle foil.

003.jpg

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

And in place...

004.jpg

I also worked on the engine. The kit one is OK but I added spark plug leads and painted it Mr Colour Stainless and then buffed it

005.jpg

006.jpg

I am going to try and get the fuselage buttoned uo tonight...I may not get much done for the rest of the week

Thanks for looking

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update as I am conscious that time is draining away on this GB (well it is for me anyway).

Body assembled, primed and roughly pre-shaded

001-2.jpg

Canopy masked and prop and other small bits painted

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

May even get some main paint on this afternoon/evening

Thanks for looking - back soon

Andy

Hi Don

Yes, I have used acrylics ever since my return to modelling about 3-4 years ago. Brilliant because they didn't exist for modellers when I originally stopped in the late '70's!

All my modelling then was brush-painted enamel for surface colours. I tried brush-painted acrylic (easier to clean/don't smell) and very nearly gave it all back up again. Saw the light and bought a good airbrush and haven't looked back since.

Despite a minor photographic disaster with those I took of the first coat (I lost them!), I will post some of the weathering progress shots when I am back from business in London later this week.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I've got the first three/four paint layers on...

Top coat after the pre-shading is thinned Xtracrylix RAF PRU Blue which I think is great for USN Blue/Grey. This was then lightened by adding white and then sprayed in panels along the top and under the outer wings. It was then lightened further and the only the upper surface (not the sides so much) were then sprayed.

It worked to my eye - my photo skills may not show the true effect! Undersides were sprayed thinned Xtracrykix Lt Gull Grey and received only one light coat.

Next is the weathering powders, chipping, Tamiya Smoke and graphite sticks...

Thanks for looking and comments welcome as ever. There would have been more pics but Photobucket is not my friend this morning

Andy

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Very nicely shaded blues there. I'm surprised you left the grey so comparatively unworked though

Thanks Don. I didn't do so much on the underside as the main shading was done to represent weathering in that hot Pacific sun. The underside will be a different style as (in my mind) I see the weathering being physical chipping and dirt from the coral strip at, say, Henderson Field.

Andy

I spent the last couple of hours witha Flory wash, Tamiya Smoke, MiG rust powder, silver paint and some chalk pastels and this is what I've come up with so far :D

023.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

Finished the canopy and may look at sticking the decals on later. Once the decals are on and sealed I will do the last round of weathering and then flat coat it. I'm pretty convinced that being on Guadalcanal would have matted down any gloss finish from the factory?

Thanks for looking

Andy

Edited by AndyC

021.jpg

I'm pretty convinced that being on Guadalcanal would have matted down any gloss finish from the factory?

The underneath now looks just the ticket. Please forgive my earlier doubts.

I must agree that being on Guadalcanal would have knocked the shine off anyone's day!

Evenin' all

I managed to do some more weathering and get the decals on her late Saturday - unfortunately too late for pics and life got in the way...

Anyhow...here is where she is now...Tamiya decals applied (with Klear to bed them in) sealed with Klear and then weathered with Tamiya Smoke airbrushed on to dull them.

I weathered the wheel wells and drybrushed them with Chrome Silver. I painted some Tamiya tape white and cut it into strip and applied it for the gun-hole covers. I've got the wheels and prop to weather, then Alclad Dull Coat for the lot before she will be ready later this week with a bit of luck

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome...

Andy

008-1.jpg

007.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

Edited by AndyC

Hi Andy, Forgive me but I only just noticed this superb build. You've done a super job on her so far. You're making it hard for me to resist buying a Corsair!

Many thanks Rowan. The kit is a big help actually, it's well engineered. It's my 3rd Corsair this year - I may need therapy :lol:

Andy

Taking shape Andy

Thanks Mish, it's been an enjoyable build

Andy