56 Squadron FGR.2

My contribution to the Phantom GB. 1/48 Hasegawa, with Legend resin seats. I started it last Saturday evening.

Box and sprue shots....

P1010324.jpg

P1010322.jpg

the kit comes with white metal wheels and rubber tyres.

Scheme I'm going with, a red tail!

P1010325.jpg

The white bits in the decals are a bit yellowed, so they're in a cellophane bag taped to the window, hope this works, never tried it before!

I bought this kit on ebay last year, I didn't notice when I got it first, but one of the fuselage halves was cracked. I don't know if the kit was sold like this, or it got damaged in transit.

P1010327.jpg

This is what I tackled first, a bit of glue and filler, a bit of sanding and it's sorted.

P1010338.jpg

Resin seats painted....

P1010337.jpg

Cockpit painted, seats are just dry-fitted....

P1010343.jpg

Cockpit fitted in fuselage to check how it looks.....

P1010349.jpg

Fuselage halves glued together....

P1010352.jpg

Intakes painted white and weathered....

P1010353.jpg

Intakes and radome (which needed a bit of filler) glued to the fuselage. Wings and a few other bits glued on too.

P1010355.jpg

That's how it stands now, it's awaiting a filling/sanding/rescribing session at the weekend :banghead:

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this, no pics though. I've been busy in the house and garden with some jobs SWMBO has decreed are more important than this build :raincloud:

Plus our new pup chewed up my paint and decalling sheet, thanks to Graham (ursa major) for the replacements!

Here's the culprit, a stray that the missus brought home, it looks like she's staying!

P1010373.jpg

Back the Phantom... I've learned that the bangseats are wrong for an RAF bird, the harnesses are USAF stylie, but I'm going to leave them. It's primed and I've started pre-shading, which I'm going to experiment with. Different colours along the panel lines and also preshade some of the panels completely. Then see what it looks like with the greys sprayed over. If it's crap, I'll spray more grey on and postshade the panel lines. Thats it for now, I should have some pics in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Abzalon :) I do remember seeing a member here doing this type of pre-shading on a WWII Japanese fighter, I can't find the thread. I liked the result on that so I thought I'd try it on this build. I have sprayed some of the greys on this and the result is quite nice, I don't have any pics uploaded yet. This thread is now closed, if you want to see the rest of this build, it will be posted here.