Handley Page Dart Herald

Wow, very nice work indeed, I have an old Maquette one to do at somepoint. I remember the Heralds at Lydd Airport in the 1970's along with the Viscounts and Bristol Superfreighters. Will have to look out for some S&M Decals now.

Thanks for sharing

All the best

Chris

Chris, that is superb!!!

(From Mark who was ex-BAF and flew the Viscount but saw many Heralds on the ramp at Southend!)

Edited by Busdriver

• 9 years later...

I know that this message is coming to you literally YEARS after the event but I've been scouring the WORLD trying to find a 1:72 (or bigger?!!) Herald as finished so beautifully here. 

I don't know if I'm doing all sorts of wrongs by asking this here, but does ANYONE know where I could find one ANYWHERE?! Many thanks,

Fazzman

19 minutes ago, Fazzman said:

I know that this message is coming to you literally YEARS after the event but I've been scouring the WORLD trying to find a 1:72 (or bigger?!!) Herald as finished so beautifully here. 

I don't know if I'm doing all sorts of wrongs by asking this here, but does ANYONE know where I could find one ANYWHERE?! Many thanks,

Fazzman

I think there is a reissued one in 1/72. I think i read the windows are filled in and something else needs tweaking. I'm also looking for one but they are a fortune on evilbay, could find a real one cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I think there is a reissued one in 1/72. I think i read the windows are filled in and something else needs tweaking. I'm also looking for one but they are a fortune on evilbay, could find a real one cheaper.

Many thanks for that info busnproplinerfan. You might well be thinking of the Maquette version, which I think gets mentioned elsewhere above. Trouble is though, I think even that version is as rare as the proverbial 'rocking horse's s...!!

36 minutes ago, Fazzman said:

PS...Busnproplinerfan, if I do come across any, I'll let you know. Finger's crossed then...

I let a couple go because after exchange and shipping, they almost double the asking price by the time I get it. If it's through ebay, some sellers use the Global Shipping which adds 10-20$ more yet. But if you do find something, do let me know. I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

Yep, will let you know if anything comes up trumps. My problem is, if nothing comes up soon I'll go off the proverbial boil for the Herald and lose interest! I've had this burning ambition to make this kit now for soooo long and gone up loads of dead ends that I wonder if the kit ever did exist! This is fast becoming another case of the old FROG BOAC VC-10 kit with LIGHTS. So rare that I've only ever modelled it the once back in early-teen days...and that's a lonnnnng time ago now! Like I said, I'm scouring everywhere for this Herald, so if I come across some I'll let you know. 😉

• Thanks 1

Only a decade late - nice build.

People seem to be indicating that this is a difficult build. I actually had a go at one of these many years ago and I found it OK. Yes, it's basic - as you would expect given its age - but it fitted together OK.

My version came in one of those Russian "Soviet Era" boxes with Cyrillic lettering and script. After the demise of FROG, the moulds ended up in the Soviet Union. Many were released for the UK market as Novo kits - although I don't recall the Herald being issued in Novo packaging. After the break up of the Soviet Union, the FROG moulds have led a very nomadic life. The Herald ended up with Maquette.

It needs to be pointed out that the kit depicts an early Series 100 version. Although not many Heralds were built, most were the slightly more advanced Series 200. One of the distinguishing features of the 200 was that they were a bit longer and fitted with a weather radar, which resulted in a prominent bulge on the nose.

A couple of years ago, I built the 1/144 Welsh Models vacform which is a Series 200 and features the radar as an option. Here's my kit - 

spacer.png

If you want to see a Series 100 for real, the last survivor is on display at the Berkshire Museum of Aviation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Only a decade late - nice build.

People seem to be indicating that this is a difficult build. I actually had a go at one of these many years ago and I found it OK. Yes, it's basic - as you would expect given its age - but it fitted together OK.

My version came in one of those Russian "Soviet Era" boxes with Cyrillic lettering and script. After the demise of FROG, the moulds ended up in the Soviet Union. Many were released for the UK market as Novo kits - although I don't recall the Herald being issued in Novo packaging. After the break up of the Soviet Union, the FROG moulds have led a very nomadic life. The Herald ended up with Maquette.

It needs to be pointed out that the kit depicts an early Series 100 version. Although not many Heralds were built, most were the slightly more advanced Series 200. One of the distinguishing features of the 200 was that they were a bit longer and fitted with a weather radar, which resulted in a prominent bulge on the nose.

A couple of years ago, I built the 1/144 Welsh Models vacform which is a Series 200 and features the radar as an option. Here's my kit - 

spacer.png

If you want to see a Series 100 for real, the last survivor is on display at the Berkshire Museum of Aviation.

You obviously have some very good knowledge there Eric Mc. Your mention of the differing variants and their changes is very welcome. It would seem that the chances of anyone obtaining a decent 1:72 kit look very slim though. Your Welsh Models kit looks fantastic - a great scale finish to it too. Though I hate to admit defeat, maybe I'll have to have the scale and go with the Welsh Models too...

The build here is coming along a treat and makes for some very useful debate!

Although it's pricey, Eastern Express have recently brought out a 1/144 injection moulded kit of the Herald. As ever, it came out not long after I'd finished the vacform version. I have bought the Eastern Express kit anyway - which I plan to finish in BUIA colours.

• Like 1