Handley Page Dart Herald

Handley Page Dart Herald - Jersey Airlines 1960

I had been looking for a Frog Herald kit for some time, and came across one at the Gatwick Aviation Enthusiasts Fair this April. The vendor wanted £60 for it - well it was original Frog and I suppose it was a collector's price. Surprisingly, at the same event I also came across a Maquette version, this time at a much more reasonable £20, and this was the one I went home with. The only thing was I really wanted to do the Jersey Airlines version as per the Frog decals - mainly because I was given one of these kits by my uncle as a birthday present in the early 60s, and remember thoroughly enjoying it. No paint then of course - just decals over light grey plastic - but it became a centrepiece of my collection, long since lost and probably destroyed over a number of house moves. Enter Mel Bromley's S&M Decs at the same event! 'I bet you don't have any Herald decals do you?' I said, and out of his brief case came - yes, you guessed it - a Jersey Airlines sheet to replicate those Frog markings. Thankyou, Lord.

It was one of those boxes that you just have to open as soon as you get home. Yes, it was recognisable as the old Frog kit - but what's this? Most of the sprues were moulded in light grey plastic as per the original, but the main fuselage and wing halves were in black! OK - no big deal - a few coats of Halford's white will sort that. But wait a minute - one fuselage half is about 5 mm shorter than the other! - and has a droop of about 5 degrees ahead of the wing join!! Oh dear - this was not going to be a quick build. My thoughts of leaving doors open and fully detailing the cockpit went out of the window as major surgery, cutting, filling and sanding took over. Not to worry - it still looks like a Herald. I won't go into all the sorded details here but suffice to say that no part fitted another part without fairly significant surgery all round. But in the end, out came a Herald! Then a coat of grey primer, white primer, polish, and two coats of Halfords Appliance White. Bring on those S&M Decs. Well actually in the end I masked and sprayed the yellow and blue cheat lines because of the impossibility of fitting the decals around the tailplane, and of matching the blue with the paint needed on the tailplane. But thanks, Mel. for the lettering.

So I now have a Dart Herald in the collection again some 50 years or so after the previous one. It's just such a nice looking aeroplane! Goes well with the Airfix F-27 Friendship finished in original Aer Lingus markings - which will be the subject of another post sometime soon....

MosquitoHearaldModels016.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels018.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels015.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels019.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels020.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels021.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels023.jpg

MosquitoHearaldModels022.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I don't know this kit. Your model looks really great, thanks for sharing it!

I'm quite familiar with the Heralds. They were a regular sight at Edinburgh and, I think there was at least one (Channel Express) based here for a long time. Sadly missed - along with the Viscounts (and Vanguards!) It's a shame that this is the only I M kit of this fine aeroplane. The number of operators of the type certainly belies the small number built (50 I think?). I have tried numerous times to obtain this kit on evilbay but, I just refuse to pay the prices often beiNg asked/demanded!!

I recall seeing one at a stall at Fairford some time ago. The vendor wanted £40 for it. I thought this was excessive but, I didn't tell him that!! We were chatting about modelling generally & he seemed totally shocked by my statement that I would actually BUILD this model as opposed to simply just letting it take up space & gather dust!! I'll never understand what motivates people to collect instead of build kits but, I suspect this one of those "If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer" scenarios. In answer to his question "Why?", I simply said "That's what they are for!"

:lol:

Allan

I'm a great believer in "if there's one in a box in the spare room it should be built", like Allan.

And I'm a great lover of British postwar aviation

And I always loved the Herald and the Dart Herald in particular

put all that together, what do you get :)

A huge admirer of your work

I can imagine how much hard work you had to do to get this beauty this good

It is marvellous

Very nice Chris, I think it's easy to forget just how good the old FROG models were..I know that as a nipper I always much preferred the FROG's to the Airfix and Revell offerings..they just seemed better quality and more esoteric subjects, hence the fair collection I have of them now!. The only downside was the price as they were always more expensive but in my eyes worth shelling out pocket money for..(especially if like me you collected the tokens).

As a kid I saw hundreds of these fly low over the house on their way to nearby Radlett along with Victors, Hastings anf jetstreams...memories!

Melchett....

Wow, what a stunner!! She's just beautiful!!

Can I ask what you did with the panel lines, as they look spot on?

Lovely model of a lovely aeroplane!

Keef

The panel lines took a fair bit of thinking time...to scribe or not to scribe? The wing surface detail was actually quite good and reasonably accurate for such an old kit - though raised variety of course. By the time I had finished rebuilding the fuselage there were no panel lines left on it - I lifted the scriber and dymo tape at one point but then decided - no - let's take an easier route. In the end it was all drawn in with a pencil! The fuselage lines were drawn against masking tape wrapped around it. On the wings I tried to gently emphasise the raised line detail with a pencil. On the centre section / wing joint to fuselage where there was much milliput and rubbing down all the detail was just drawn in again.

I'm quite familiar with the Heralds. They were a regular sight at Edinburgh and, I think there was at least one (Channel Express) based here for a long time. Sadly missed - along with the Viscounts (and Vanguards!) It's a shame that this is the only I M kit of this fine aeroplane. The number of operators of the type certainly belies the small number built (50 I think?). I have tried numerous times to obtain this kit on evilbay but, I just refuse to pay the prices often beiNg asked/demanded!!

I recall seeing one at a stall at Fairford some time ago. The vendor wanted £40 for it. I thought this was excessive but, I didn't tell him that!! We were chatting about modelling generally & he seemed totally shocked by my statement that I would actually BUILD this model as opposed to simply just letting it take up space & gather dust!! I'll never understand what motivates people to collect instead of build kits but, I suspect this one of those "If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer" scenarios. In answer to his question "Why?", I simply said "That's what they are for!"

:lol:

Allan

The only thing that results in me collecting is that there aren't enough hours in the day to build them!

In the end it was all drawn in with a pencil! The fuselage lines were drawn against masking tape wrapped around it. On the wings I tried to gently emphasise the raised line detail with a pencil. On the centre section / wing joint to fuselage where there was much milliput and rubbing down all the detail was just drawn in again.

I had a feeling you were going to say that - they look just right done that way! Making me rethink a lot of my re-scribing plans now....!!

Thanks

Keef

That's a great result from a beast of a kit - I seem to remember the plastic on mine, though all the same colour (white), was averse to bonding with polystyrene cement!

I built it because the Dart Herald was the first plane I ever flew in, on holiday to the Channel Islands when I was a nipper (so young that I have no recollection of this, just going on what my Dad told me).