Wingnut Wings Albatros D-Va 1/32nd scale

Hi gang-righty ho its project time!!

First to set the scene:

About 4 weeks ago we took our family holiday in Southern Brittany ( on the Ria D'Etel and its totally gorgeous). It was also very close to the lair of a certain Mr Rowan Broadbent ( Rowan is Mr Pheon, and also the man guilty of telling me about BM too)....alors, a meet up was arranged, and the generous Mr B arrived with gifts. Namely his fantastic tailored lozenge decals for an Albatros D-Va, plus some Jasta 5 markings. Needless to say this surprise was well received, and upon returning home, electrons were sent spinning through the websphere resulitng in the arrival 4 days ago of said model ( and no I didn't pay PFs £8 extortion charge either, just the VAT).

I was also honoured to put up Mr B for a night on his recent trip to the UK, and after a lovely evening in which the discussions touched on many things, I was frankly amazed at the amount of research and work done on the lozenge sheet to get it right ( it has been a labour of Herculean proportions I assure you). I also got to see a few resin goodies too - but that would be telling!

So now I have a plan - an online build of the model using Pheons decals, which will hopefully result in said model gracing Pheons stand at Telford. The idea is that if I can build a biplane - anyone can!!

So onto the model - WNW's kit arrives in a sturdy cardboard box, and just to show you the level of packaging - here are the obligatory box and sprue shots. Each sprue is separately bagged ( even the instructions), and in general- opening the lid has a "wow" factor that really enhances the whole modelling sensation vibe.

c4c66a34.jpg

The box title scroll is silver foiled - which looks dead nice. All in all a top box

b6c7d528.jpg

0a969ae8.jpg

8908c67e.jpg

b9b9bfdb.jpg

I have, in an unusual start to a modelling project, read the instructions - because its funny how when you arent used to WW1 biplanes - things like engines are very different to your average WW2 subject!!

Heres the scheme I'm going to do:

albiemarkings.jpg

Why this one? - well its red! and I reckon that this this with the lozenge on all the wings etc will make it a real looker.

Amongst firsts for me on this build will be wood grain painting, for the interior at least, and the propellor, but I'm also wondering whether the red and green paint on the fuselage might have shown the woodgrain though it too and perhaps the green tailplpanes might just show the lozenge pattern through too!. I'll mull this over.

Other (sort of) firsts will be rigging - though I did manage this on a 1/48th biplane a year or so ago, but this time I'll be using Aeroclubs elastic thread. I have an idea for the turnbuckles which I'm going to try too.

I have virtually no references on WW1 aircraft so the build will be as OOB as I can manage, but of course, knowing you lot, I'm sure if I ask for help if might be forthcoming. And BMs WW1 crowd - bear with me as I ask all sorts of idiot questions too, its a bit of a learning curve.

Anyway - next step - open up all the bags and smell the plastic....TBC

Wish me luck, or perhaps I should say " Zie luck, me vishen"

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Well bugger me with a fishfork, you are actually going ahead with this!

Good luck Jonners, I shall be watching with a proprietorial air. Just as a general "watch it", You need to be careful with clearances as the tolerances on the Albatros are very tight and precise - I have read of several people who have had difficulty when closing up the fuselage as slight misalignment of the numerous bulkheads etc can give difficulty as can paint in the various housing grooves in the fuselage sides, so careful with the interior painting!

But all that said, a modellist of your calibre should have no problems, it's a beautiful kit! Beware, though, this could be the end of "grey jets" for you........ particularly when the ladies in your life see it finished - they seem to like the romance of WWI subjects!

Great choice of subject as well. I think that the paintwork of the Jasta 5 Albatri was pretty meticulous (compared with some unit's in-the-field painting) and I have never seen underlying colours or lozenge shapes visible beneath over painting in photos - but without a time machine, no one's going to be able to disprove that aspect!

R

Well bugger me with a fishfork, you are actually going ahead with this!

Good luck Jonners, I shall be watching with a proprietorial air. Just as a general "watch it", You need to be careful with clearances as the tolerances on the Albatros are very tight and precise - I have read of several people who have had difficulty when closing up the fuselage as slight misalignment of the numerous bulkheads etc can give difficulty as can paint in the various housing grooves in the fuselage sides, so careful with the interior painting!

But all that said, a modellist of your calibre should have no problems, it's a beautiful kit! Beware, though, this could be the end of "grey jets" for you........ particularly when the ladies in your life see it finished - they seem to like the romance of WWI subjects!

Great choice of subject as well. I think that the paintwork of the Jasta 5 Albatri was pretty meticulous (compared with some unit's in-the-field painting) and I have never seen underlying colours or lozenge shapes visible beneath over painting in photos - but without a time machine, no one's going to be able to disprove that aspect!

R

Cheers Rowan - the build reviews I've seen all seem to mention the tight tolerances - so I already have a weather eye on that. Thanks for the info on Jasta 5s painting too - it will save me some work ( unless i do go mad of course!)

How did you get away with not paying for the Parcel Farce charge of £8!

Well - they sent me a little letter with the vat and their 'handling charge' on. Now if you call the automated payment line they just want to charge you the whole lot, but I rang my local depot and spoke to a lady - who again mainained they had to charge it. I mentioned the relevant bits of the postal act, and asked to speak to a manager. after a 45 second hold, she came back on the line and said all her mangers were in a meeting, so agreed to just take the VAT payment ( £8.50ish) and then said they would send an invoice for the charge. The model arrived the next day, and so far ( a week later) no invoice.

Now whether I just got lucky, or this is their way of avoiding hassle but not getting it in the neck from bosses, ( "you were all in a meeting, and the customer knew the parts of the act, so what could I do?") I have no idea, but it worked on this occasion. I was polite but firm on the phone, and would not take no for an answer too, I also told the lady that I had never asked them to pay the VAT on my behalf, so I couldn't see how they could charge me for something I hadn't requested ( their small print says they do this for you to clear it, so they try this line on with you, but you have no contract with them as you have not asked for this to be done).

so there you go!

cheers

Jonners

Well, I'll be watching this, Jonners.

I can see what you mean by the Wow Factor when you opened the box. The instructuion sheet looks like an artwork all by itself.

I love the scheme you're doing too - red with a white pentacle. Very druidic...

Best of British

Interesting scheme you've chosen there Jonners.

After seeing some of your pervious works I look forward to seeing how you get on with this one.

The kit instructions and some of the pics on the WNW website should provide most of the reference you'll need but if you want further reading the Windsock Datafile special on the Albatros is worth a look.

My biggest tip I can offer at the moment in regards to making this kit is to mask off the locating grooves prior to painting as they are a tight fit.

Regards,

Mark

Hi gang - made a start with the engine. I've wired her up with some brass wire and tiny bits of brass tube to represent the sparking plugs. The intake manifold has been wrapped with some textured foil ( from a San Pelegrino lemon fizzy drink can) to replicate asbestos cloth, then primed. I'll get a bit of paint on this afternoon.

cheers

Jonners

4e0f003e.jpg

6dd830c7.jpg

Hi Jonner,

Good luck for this one.

You should have told me, I was still in Brittany four weeks ago. Nothern shore, ok, but distances are short by bike.

Cheers Antoine - I didnt know you were in Bretagne!

Right done a bit of painting this afternoon. Heres the engine - in clean condition. It wont be staying like this for long :)

8ce5398e.jpg

2d931855.jpg

cheers

Jonners

Moringi Gang

Daft hot weather for the end of September and I've got as miserable cold bug - which makes it even worse. In between doses of paracetamol and neurofen I've done a little work. Modelling is always therapeutic when you feel like death warmed up I find.

2nd attempt at prop lamination painting - marked in pencel then done free hand with a small brush. Its been neatened up a little since this pic.

303448e3.jpg

I also decided that the seat needs a cushion - and after seeing some lovely renditions of buttoned leather seats, I decided to have a go too. Ive also covered the rear in textured foil to simulated leather covering, and added a rolled padded leather top ( I have no idea if this is protoypical, but I wanted that anachronistic "big leather armchair look"). The finish is still very glossy - so needs to be toned down as yet.

f8cfd776.jpg

Finally - painting started onthe wooden frames and rear bulkhead. I finished the latter first using one of Pheon supplied lozenge decals ( tailored to fit perfectly too!) to represent the fabric covering on this bit. Pheon gives you a choice of darker top size lozenge, or paler underside on the basis it could be either. I went pale, simply so it will stand out more inside the pit when its all buttoned up.

Decal went down perfectly - is very thin and took the microset/sol solutions well. I also gave it a quick dirty up with a streak of thin black wash, as Im guessing this bit of fabric got a lot of blown in crap onto it.

125bc815.jpg

Right back to feeling like yuk!

cheers

Jonners von ebola

right - bit more work , while the drugs keep working!!

Prop is now grained and sealed with 4 coats of yellow ink tinted Quick Shine.

ce500d9f.jpg

Work continues on the internal fittings - here's the fuel tank mounted to its wooden bulkhead

d0a82127.jpg

And here's the seat attached to its rather fiddly and fragile mount.

e6a8746f.jpg

And the engine bearers fitted.

fac96643.jpg

By checking fit of all these fitting sub assemblies as I go, so far the fuselage halves will dry fit OK.

Cheers

Jonners

Afternoon Gang!

Right - a bit of progress today. Interior all finished - but my god its fiddly getting all the bits in, isn't it? After annealing the PE seat belts there were not too hard to get settled in, but I am starting to get the feeling that modelling mankinds next evolutionary jump should be an extra pair of hands...

After going for a full test fit of the fuselage haves with everything in, it all went together first time!!

So, deciding it better to not risk the anger of Zweidek, the wrathful God of biplane modelling, I ran in some liquid adhesive and taped it all up to dry.

While it all hardens up - I've dry fitted the UC legs, engine and prop - purely to get an idea of how it all hangs together - and because its exciting getting a sense of how the finished beast will look.

So heres the pics as she litterally stands at present.

7d3923eb.jpg

682cea4b.jpg

The last one has the model sitting on a large test peice of woodgrain effect plastic sheet, which I use to try our different graining techniques ;)

533442fa.jpg

cheers

Jonners

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor