Revell/Monogram 1/48 AC-47

AndyC

Hi chaps

Well, I am going to join with this beast

001.jpg

It is going to be mostly OOB because there is very little aftermarket stuff for this baby. I have ordered some minigun barrels and ammo boxes from SBX (couldn't find any at Farnborough this morning) and when they arrive - we're off.

Until then...

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Right...

The Quickboost Ammo boxes and the minigun barrels have arrived, so I can now start planning. Has anyone any idea where I can get some decent drawings of the AC-47?

I know that the R-M boxing is inaccurate as it doesn't include the navigator's window, but I am torn between 1) ignoring it and building what's there because life is too short, 2) at least attempting to represent the window with a decal ('good enough' from 2 ft away) or 3) going the whole hog and getting out the scalpel (and risk ruining my kit?). What do you lot think?

I have ordered a 2nd hand copy of Int. Air Power Review Vol 4 which has some good photographs I am told. I don't intend replacing the engines (they look OK) or the props (the kit includes the later paddle props anyway as well as standard C-47 ones).

Back soon

Andy

oooh Glad you could join in Andy. I do like the AC-47, I've been watching a few videos of it in action of Vietnam and the thing is just crazy. An interesting and slightly sobering fact, 15 AC-47's were shot down by AAA during the war.

looking forward to this build :)

oooh Glad you could join in Andy. I do like the AC-47, I've been watching a few videos of it in action of Vietnam and the thing is just crazy. An interesting and slightly sobering fact, 15 AC-47's were shot down by AAA during the war.

looking forward to this build :)

I think you have been watching the same things as me. The reports and eyewitness accounts of what the GI's found AFTER a AC-47 attack are harrowing. Iconic 'plane.

Andy

Hi all

Further to post #3 above, I have decided to get out the scalpel and put the nav window in :unsure: I have looked at it and I don't think it is a major problem - so, out with the Dymo tape tomorrow.

The rest of the evening has been spent snipping the interior stuff off the sprues and tidying it all up, especially the bulkheads and floor as reviews have suggested that the fit is a little compromised in places, so plenty of dry fitting will be needed.

I found a couple of goods snaps of the interior of an AC-47...

06-010.jpg

06-007.jpg

So, that is my template! A busy looking back office with oxy bottles, extinguishers, spare ammo boxes, tarpaulins and general detritus - ace!

To that end, I have fixed the glazing in the rear fuselage, masked inside and out and constructed some ribbing on the starboard side (which will be visible through the open door). It doesn't need to be exact - its for effect as the flare stores and crew seats will cover most of the starboard fuselage side. The port side will, of course have three big miniguns!

Once its painted interior green and scuffed up it will be fine.

001-1.jpg

I have already cut out the extra windown in the port side (last on the left - the clamps are holding the glazing strips while the Gator Glue dries).

002.jpg

When I feel brave enough, I will start on the Navi window - off for some Dutch Courage

See ya

Andy

Hi all

Well, I braved it and cut the navigator's window - the size and location are all derived from photgraphs, so I don't profess to complete accuracy but at least it is done (after a lot of cussing and a couple of slips of the scalpel). Some Mr Surfacer will take care of the couple of scalpel slips.

002-1.jpg

I have airbrushed the interior green on and the ribbing I did last night looks OK under a coat of paint

003.jpg

001-2.jpg

I have been playing about with dry fitting the interior stuff and the fit is good - I think there has been some subtle re-tooling done between the R-M C-47 and this issue. I am going to try and get the insides glued by tonight if I can - pics later if I am successful

Comments welcome

Andy

The Nav window looks good any!

Does the floor of the kit actually look like that or have you scratch-built it or used an after market product?

Looking Good!

James

Thanks James, the floor is the one in the kit without mods and a very good representation it is too if you check againbst the photos in an earlier post. It has been dirtied up and dry brushed now - I'll post some pics tonight.

Nice work so far Andy

Thanks Al.

I wouldn't mind this kit, is it still available? Will keep watching this as it goes on. Good luck with it.

As far as I know, yes it is. They were re-issued in this new boxing about a couple of years ago along with the PBY. From what I can see the fit is reasonable (I haven't got to the wings yet!) and the overall detail relevant to the AC-47 is pretty good as there are new sprues included specifically for this model (paddle props, miniguns, flare chests etc) when compared to s 'standard' C-47.

There are some detail errors but they are manageable (I'll highlight them as I go through the GB) and I think she will build into a nice kit

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Hi all

After a lot of swearing and with my fingertips truly sanded raw, I managed to fit a window into the navigator's window hole using a heavily filed and sanded piece of CD case. I have gently scribed a frame and filled the slight scalpel slips - she is done!

005-2.jpg

At the risk of becoming an obsessed modeller (definitely NOT me generally), I have added some detail to the cockipt and rear areas...the cockpit and rear offices has been acrylic-washed and dry-brushed

The cockpit has seatbelts, the navigator has some papers on his table...yeah, I know much will be invisible...I think however you may be able to see the navi's table through the astrodome (with a torch!). However, no more added detail!

002-2.jpg

I have weathered and scuffed the cargo floor and added some fire extinguishers/oxy-acetylene and oxy bottles as shown in contemporary photos. The white flares will be weathered down a little.

I am thinking of adding some folded tarpaulins and maybe some rope. The floor is not glued in place yet just there for effect.

003-2.jpg

001-1-1.jpg

Again, I am going to see little of this as only the smaller of the clam doors will be open. I bought the Quickboost ammo bins and although the kit ones are OK, they will now come in handy as spare bins lashed to the floor (once I have worked out a way to show them lashed in place using Tamiya tape and some plastic buckles).

The miniguns have been primed - they are quite nice and even though I bought the Quickboost barrels, I may not use them yet - haven't decided

I am now waiting my picture references in the post before glueing major nbits together and tackling the aerial arrays.

I've also primed and painted the engines, wheel wells and other bits and pieces.

TTFN

Andy

This is very interesting, particularly the contrast with the 1/72 AC-47 I'm doing at the same time - there will be pics tonight on my thread, I swear! Needless to say, yours has a much more detailed interior.

Which minigun setup does yours have? The early or late SUU-11/A mounts, or MXU-470 towers? Mine seem to have the late SUU-11/A's

Weirdly, the Italeri kit doesn't have a cut-out for the astrodome, but it does have the dome transparency itself (though it's ridiculously thick, I'm tempted to try my hand at vac-forming a replacement).

BTW, did your kit come with a gunsight for the cockpit side, or is that your own addition?

Edited by hythe

Hiya Hythe

The R-M kit gives me the MXU-470's and they're not bad to be honest for a late issue AC-47D. The kit also includes the grey Kevlar curtains that screened between each gun.

I've been doing some small bits and pieces myself tonight including fashioning a Kevlar curtain for the port side of the fuselage which appears prominently in a lot of photos. Pics of all my updated details tomorrow.

The gunsight was provided by the kit - it seems good insofar as it goes. I understand the real ones were Skyraider sights!

I have used several references but the International Air Power Review Vol 4 is an awesome reference with good pics of all the different versions of the Spooky. I am really tempted to try the original version with 10 30-cal machine guns.

Andy

Evening all

Here is a quick update...I've been concentrating on getting all the rear cabin bits and pieces completed ready for closing up. Although not shown, I split the rear cargo door as the AC-47D usually flew with the front portion removed (so that the flares could be thrown out by the crew). The rear portion has been fixed.

As per the earlier photographs above, I used the additional ammo panniers to place them as storage in the centre of the aircraft, tied down. I painted them OD and weathered them, painted some Tamiya tape in Buff and added it as holding down straps...I was going to fashion some tie-down rings but then sanity prevailed! :D

I also need to do some straps for the flare cabinets and to tone down the whiteness of the flares.

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

I also fashioned a tarpaulin out of tissue soaked in watered-down PVA with some elastic cotton to wrap around and fixed that to the rear floor just to add a little to the interior.

I painted up the remaining ammo panniers and the MXU miniguns. Mr Metal iron casement, Tamiya Gun Metal for the guns and NATO Black body with Chrome Silver scuffing. The 'bullets' are copper and silver.

004.jpg

The suspended individual Kevlar curtains (between each gun) were painted Xtracrylix Light Grey and dry brushed with Tamiya Sky Grey.

005.jpg

The big Kevlar sheet was from a tissue soaked in watered-down PVA and coloured as above. This sheet was suspended on the Port side basically to protect the ammo panniers stored back there from stray VC AAA fire - most photgraphs of airborne -47D's show windows 2, 3 and 4 (from the front going back) as being white - this is the Kevlar curtain suspended behind.

006.jpg

I am just about to start wing assembly and hope to have the fuselage buttoned up later this week.

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

Andy

Hi all

Just a quick update again as I have now installed the guns, Kevlar screens and ammo panniers and also cemented the floor into the port side of the fuselage

002-4.jpg

001-4.jpg

Leave it to dry overnight and I have just started sanding the wings and getting ready for seam elimination!

Thanks for looking again and back soon

Andy

That interior looks great, I really like all the detail in there. I'm really impressed Andy.

Hi Rowan, thanks for that. I have glued the wings and the fuselage is now closed up and Monogram's famous...ahem...fit issues have come to fruition. The longs seams on the fuselage have been difficult and required filler along the whole length almost - some down to R-M, some down to 'AndyC industries'. No worry however...

I have provoked an interesting discussion on Hyperscale on the aerial fit for wartime AC-47D's. The R-M kit is inaccurate in many places and I think is a curious mix of AC-47 and DC-3 but both were radically different. As far as I can tell the kit DOES have;

Football aerial (radio compass)

Horseshoe aerial on the roof - but in the wrong position

TV-type aerials on the side by the cockpit - does NOT need these

The kit does NOT have;

The whisker aerial at the nose (FM homing)

The hook aerial on the tip of the nose (ILS)

The short horizontal wire aerial on the starboard lower side (ADF bearing with football)

The whip aerial to port roof

The cats ear anchor for the long aerial on the starboard side of the roof (anchoring at the tail)

Most are easy fixes

The decals are inaccurate too! I may have to try and source same Zotz decals to correct The R-M ones but they are quite rare.

I'll post some stuff once I have fixed the fuselage and the wings. All comments welcome as ever.

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Hi all

A little more progress on the 1/48 Spooky...She is now buttoned up and filled and sanded - probably a little more than I should have needed to but I was a little careless. Also R-M fit at the wing root was quite poor. Most of the raised detail was lost so I have gently sanded the remainder of the airframe to reduce the effect of the raised detail.

the cockipt glazing fit was a bit iffy too and needed some filler and sanding to correct - that was definitely not my fault

008.jpg

009.jpg

It's also quite big (to my surprise - I never thjought the C-47 'big') but next to my Spit VIII it gives the thing a bit of scale

010.jpg

As mentioned in my last post, the aerial array gave me some thought. This is mostly what the R-M AC-47 doesn't have... (photo reproduced below as posted on HS - apologies if infringing, will remove if asked) I have moved the horseshoe aerial and fixed the two roof mounted blade aerials (one supplied, the front on being a shortened and sanded F6F aerial).

3800265869_494dddc32c_o.jpg

Here are the little aerials I have fashioned so far;

FM homing whiosker aerial bullet either side of the nose from ICM Spitfire rocket tips (the dipoles will be added after painting)

ADF wire tensioners from ICM Spitfire 20mm cannon barrel tips with copper wire reinforcement

Similar for top aerial (back to tail)

Whip aerial mounting from heavily sanded rocket mounting

005-1.jpg

Other stuff this morning was tarting up the very basic R-M engines. I drilled and added 18 spark plug leads per engine and painted them Neutral Grey (that drove me mad), painted the cylinders silver with a Paynes Grey acrylic wash and then a quick drybrush

001-5.jpg

Other stuff was NATO Black and Tamiya Alu on the wheels

003-3.jpg

Props were painted NATO Black and then Alcled Alu sprayed on front side only after masking. U/C parts also painted with Alclad.

002-5.jpg

I added brake lines to the U/C strut, the loose end fits into the wing just behind the well (I think). The lines need painting.

004-1.jpg

I will mask her up this afternoon, fit the engines and various other bit before primer with Halfords Grey.

Until next time, thanks for looking and all comments welcome

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Thanks SF! Yeah I was disappointed with the glazing as its such a prominent feature and so essential to the 'look' of the Dak that I spent a lot of fettling time and putty.

Andy