1/72 Rhodesian Air Force Dakota

Right so seeing as my 1/144 dakota is nearing completion - I have decided to add another build, this time a Rhodesian Air Force Dakota in 1/72. Will dig the kit out later and post pics. To be finished in either Rhod Air Force or Royal Rhodesian Air Force white over natural metal with green cheat line. I am having mask made for the lettering, serial numbers by AdAstra Mask - I have just been sent the proofs so I will check these for size etc over the weekend, they look good so far.

Cheers

Wayne

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

Great another Dak :) In the thinking mans scale scale :P I'm now quite familiar with this Italeri kit and although it shows its age, its still a decent kit that certainly looks the part once built up (though I'm not an expert on the Dakota so maybe it is missing a few finer details).

Edited by rowmk9

I laughed when I saw the

Slowly coming together

If that's slow then I'd love to see you do a fast build :)

Looking forward to seeing the finished build. A RhAF DC-3 flew over our resort a few times when I was a kid and we used to go to Lake Kyle for our holidays.

Gary

Well when its two days after I said it would be ready for primer and I have still not primered it, then it is slow.

I have decided to build the plane as a Rhodesian Air Force dakota, serial R3702 - A rather special aircraft this as this was the first Dakota acquired by the Southern Rhodesian Air Force. It was gifted to the SRAF by Field Marshall Smuts, Prime Minsiter of South Africa, in November 1947. The aircraft was unfortunately lost on 31st May 1977 when it was hit by an RPG whilst on the airfield at Mapai during a Rhodesian Defence Force raid, when the Pilot was killed. I have assumed that the aircraft carried the white over natural metal scheme that was used before the camo scheme, as I cannot find a photo of the aircraft as such.

Wayne

Damn ran out of alclad and only half a wing sprayed - Oh well roll on payday on monday!

Other than that the AdAstra masks are on their way, I look forward to seeing them - This will be the first time i have used masks

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would add a few pics before I start masking - For anyone planning on alclading, make sure you have enough in a bottle to finish the model before spraying - I can see two different finishes from the two bottles I used, possibly partly due to my incompetence in airbrushing but also possibly due to the first section being an old bottle with very little in it and the rest from a new bottle?

Wayne

IMG_5583.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

Looking sharp Wayne.

Don't mind the different shades of alclad - all adds to the finish...........but the Apple Tea ???

Where's the Chibuku ? :Tasty:

Can't work after Chibuku, brain too fuzzy, anyway the apple tea tin is for storing pipettes.

Wayne

Well I can safely say that appliance white is my new best friend - I have never been able to get a nice white finish on my models and after reading about appl. white, I thought I would try some. This model is my second try with it and I am hooked - easy to work with and good finish

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure I will get this model done as part of the GB. I am just not getting any modelling done of late, just don't seem to have any go! I have bought a kit of a Kazon Fighter (Star Trek) to try something out of my usual zone to see if that kick starts things

Wayne