Airfix 1/72 Lancaster

Well, it's taken a while, but I've finally finished the Lancaster I started for the Lancaster Group Build. It's the Airfix 1/72 kit with some aftermarket goodies (decals, wheels, guns, tail, photoetch) and a little scratchbuilding. My attempts at exhaust staining with chalk pastels didn't quite work as planned; way too much white underneath and it's barely noticeable on top. Ah well, next time :)

This is the BBMF Lanc, PA474 in her current guise as Phantom of the Ruhr.

Thanks for looking,

Dan

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

brilliant kit where did you get the phantom of the rhur decals from

Thanks benjinben91, they were part of an Xtradecal set from Hannants.

Wow, it looks really good, how long did it take you to complete?

Cheers Tin_Bitz. Um, I think it was about 9 months start to finish, but then my modelling pace is somewhat glacial :shrug:

Dan

I have this Lancaster as part of the BBMF Airfix BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane set which has the Phantom of the Rhur decals in the box... (the BBMF Lanc is no longer the Rhur though although it was when I got to see it last August!). I have completed the Spitfire and the Hurricane but have yet to start the Lancaster.

Might pull that Lanc from my stash next. I've just finished the Airfix 1:48 Seafire and I'm looking for something to do cannot seem to settle on anything at the moment. :shrug:

Mate that's soo good! I'm getting one of the new tool Airfix BIII's to build for our club event in April (Cosford Model Show) and am really looking forward to having a go at it.Must be said that I'm not looking forward to masking all that teeny tiny glass tho...

Looking great. I will come back to these photos for inspiration when the HK-Models Lanc reaches the shops.

A nice tidy Lanc . Not sure about the Green you have used for the camo.

Try Extra colour RAF Dark Green or Humbrol 116

Oh... Colours looks the same as on my almost finished 1/24 Spitfire Mk1 after painting it with Humbrol 29 and 30. Are they far off from RAF standard of the day?

Looking great. I will come back to these photos for inspiration when the HK-Models Lanc reaches the shops.

Oh... Colours looks the same as on my almost finished 1/24 Spitfire Mk1 after painting it with Humbrol 29 and 30. Are they far off from RAF standard of the day?

Afraid so .Humbrol 30 is way off RAF Dark Green , Like i said best options are Extra colour RAF Dark Green or Humbrol 116.

In noway detracts from your finished model tho :goodjob:

Cheers for the kind words! (Wasn't expecting it in such an old thread... )

I was sort of aware that Humbrol 30 wasn't quite right, but didn't remember that until after I'd painted it! The photos do actually make it look more green than it really is, so I'm not too bothered!

Dan