Battle of Britain Figures

cjhm

Seeing other posts on Battle of Britain Day and Chota Sahib figures reminded me I have never posted these.

After seeing the excellent 'First Light' last year on BBC and reading the book by Geoffrey Wellum I dug out these 54mm figures from the 1980s. They were stripped back already after a poor finish was applied back in the day but the bases had gone missing. Think I managed a better job this time, not quite happy with the pilots eyes or hair however on seeing these pics. The bright sun today seems to exagerate the painted shadows, they look better indoors!

They were painted with Citadel and Life Colour acrylics, the bases are wargame ones covered in static grass. I know the pilot looks like he is listing drunkenly to the side before anyone comments ....

Hope you enjoy

bob1.jpg

bob3.jpgbob2.jpg

bob4.jpgbob5.jpg

Edited by cjhm

Nice work, I always wanted those as well but couldn't afford them and when I could he had ceased trading.

Thanks for the compliment, the quality sculpting made them nice to paint

I was lucky enough to meet Sid Horton once when he was telling a colourful story about some of his castings being blown up by a bomb disposal team after being deemed a 'suspicious parcel' when sent to a client on a military base .....

I've got a SAS guy and a Falklands navy medic in anti-flash somewhere needing a repaint someday as well

Thanks for the compliment, the quality sculpting made them nice to paint

I was lucky enough to meet Sid Horton once when he was telling a colourful story about some of his castings being blown up by a bomb disposal team after being deemed a 'suspicious parcel' when sent to a client on a military base .....

I've got a SAS guy and a Falklands navy medic in anti-flash somewhere needing a repaint someday as well

I have his WW.II MP around somewhere painted as an RAF Provost, the desert tank officer in the long greatcoat and I also had a victorian-period hussar in walking-out dress with a short jacket and pill-box cap (Hmmmm, thnking about it those two could have been from someone else...).

Always loved Sids work from way back in Airifx magazine when he did two series on modelling the Charge of the Light Brigade and its aftermath and also he got on the old BBC Modelworld(?) series presented by Bob Symes back in the 70's with his figure conversions, all based on the Airfix Napoleonic figure kits.

Edited by TheModeller

Thanks for compliments

Crackin job, just one tiny wee niggle. Aren't the rank bands on the cuffs supposed to be light blue?

I think I found some pics with gold\yellow bands on internet when I was painting them (can't find them again!), I'll do some more research and update

Nicely painted,they look good!A minor point,the life jacket would usually be a more yellow colour,they were supplied in a light green and painted on site with yellow paint to make them stand out in the sea!

Mike

It was my plan to go for bright yellow but internet (google images) offers pictures showing anything from bright yellow down to what I would call 'stone' with no yellowness at all, I liked the paler look (think I used light stone with thin yellow 'glaze' in the end as the base colour)

Edited by cjhm

• 2 weeks later...

You've done a great job on both of these figures. I really like the finish you've achieved - especially the Officer with those piercing blue eyes and the stiff upper lip - they really convey the athmosphere of the time - "Chocks away - Tally Ho" & all that! I was always a great fan of Sid Hortons Chota Sahib range - each one had so much character it made them all very appealing and the quality of the castings was top notch. In fact, I know I still have some safely packed away in the attic - so I must dig them out and see if I can paint them into life like you have done. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that another company bought the figure molds and re-released them under a different name? - having said, that I've never seen them, and the originals continue to be sought after - does anyone know if they have been re-released?.

Many Thanks for sharing - it's a real joy to see these two fellows enjoying a new lease of life!

Cheers,

Paul

You've done a great job on both of these figures. I really like the finish you've achieved - especially the Officer with those piercing blue eyes and the stiff upper lip - they really convey the athmosphere of the time - "Chocks away - Tally Ho" & all that! I was always a great fan of Sid Hortons Chota Sahib range - each one had so much character it made them all very appealing and the quality of the castings was top notch. In fact, I know I still have some safely packed away in the attic - so I must dig them out and see if I can paint them into life like you have done. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing that another company bought the figure molds and re-released them under a different name? - having said, that I've never seen them, and the originals continue to be sought after - does anyone know if they have been re-released?.

Many Thanks for sharing - it's a real joy to see these two fellows enjoying a new lease of life!

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the compliment Paul

Sarum Soldiers seem to have reissued some of Chota Sahib range at some point but they seem OOP now too :-(

• 2 weeks later...