CASA 2.111 18June12 Final update before completion!

Rounding out the "Battle of Britain" movie stars series build are a pair of CASA 2.111s. A pair your ask? Yes one will be going to my project instigator friend who I will blame for any and all tribulations caused by this built series! :poke: Basically Spanish built Heinkel He-111H-16s re-engined with Merlins, 32 CASA 2.111s were made available to film the movie in 1968. I began with the Monogram He-111H-22, this version had a turret in the dorsal position rather than the oblong canopy found on the earlier versions. As the dorsal and ventral positions would need to be replace by the late enclosed positions anyway the use of the later version was of little concern. I obtained a set of Belcher Bits Merlin engines designed for the Tamiya Lancaster and the work began.

Hope y'all are not getting bored with this series, :suicide: it'll be over soon! Eric F

A very simplified and basic fuselage was built up using movie (lots of pause and step on my DVD copy!) as my primary reference as an actual CASA fuselage section was used to film the interior scenes so therefore should be fairly accurate as to what the CASA's really looked like inside.

DSCN4938.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

Painted....

DSCN5951.jpg

...wash and highlighted much exaggerated as it will be fairly dark in here once the fuselage is closed up.

DSCN5967.jpg

One of the images from the movie that stick out in my mind was the distinctive vertical bomb racks that could be seen in the interior scenes. This of course meant I had open up the bulkheads in the kit and build up a very crude set of racks from styrene

DSCN5996.jpg

A little bit of extra detail has been added to the very visible cockpits.

DSCN5999.jpg

The conversion to the Merlins is proving to be the most intensive part of the conversion so far. The Merlins have a different cross section than the Junkers Jumos and the kit has the leading edge of the wing molded as part of the cowlings. My plan is to cut the Jumo cowlings off the fairings as close to the leading edges as possible and install the Merlins. The interior of the kit leading edge section will be filled with resin and then reshaped to fair the Merlin profile into the wing.

The Junkers Jumos removed..

DSCN6009.jpg

...the Merlins ready to be installed

DSCN6010.jpg

Hmmm, not quite a perfect fit here!

DSCN6011.jpg

DSCN6020.jpg

DSCN6023.jpg

DSCN6024.jpg

While making the measurements for the engine installation I noted a difference in the height of the wing so a bulkhead was fabricated to correct the discrepancy.

DSCN6034.jpg

They get big when the wings are attached!

DSCN6035.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 1

A bit of progress has been made. The engines have been installed and hopefully the the hardest part of the conversion is now behind. :yahoo: As it was obvious a lot of shaping would be required to fair the Merlins into the section of the wing leading edge I needed to add material to the inside of the nacelle. After gluing the resin engines into the plastic nacelle, I set the assembly on end and filled the back of the unit with casting resin. When this cured, out came the trusty Dremel tool and files and the nacelle shaped. The aft lower section of the nacelle then needed to match the contour of the front of the main landing gear doors. A bulkhead that matched the gear doors was attached to the aft end of the nacelle to be used as a guide. Filler blocks of styrene were glued into the gaps and once again the Dremel and files used to carve the unit to shape. Much measuring and trimming than ensued to get the engines properly positioned in 3 directions and 3 rotations! After 2 work sessions of fiddling about I took the plunge tonight and attached the units. :banghead: The final result appears to be reasonably successful. With the addition of the Merlins the distinctive CASA 2.111 shape becomes apparent. The process was actually easier to see and do than describe, hopefully the pictures should clear up any confusion! :huh: Eric F

DSCN6038.jpg

DSCN6036.jpg

DSCN6037.jpg

Bulkheads added as guides to the final desired contour

DSCN6039.jpg

DSCN6042.jpg

After the styrene filler blocks, lots of plastic shavings later, emerged the final nacelle shape!

DSCN6046.jpg

DSCN6048.jpg

Much measuring and fitting to get the installation in proper orientation.

DSCN6053.jpg

DSCN6056.jpg

DSCN6058.jpg

DSCN6060.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A fairly major setback has happened! After the engine nacelles were installed and the final shaping, sanding and scribing completed, the project left alone for a couple days (work keeps getting in the way of modelling!) After I returned, I noticed a few small soft, bubbled areas, almost like too much plastic solvent was used and oozed out. :huh: I dug out the softened areas and filled the resulting holes with super glue, sanded and re-scribed. I then went to work on the tail, dropping the elevators for interest and making the prominent hinges.

DSCN6070.jpg

DSCN6074.jpg

DSCN6083.jpg

As time passed, more of soft areas occurred on the nacelles. Each time thinking things were settling down, I repeated the process of digging out, filling, sanding and re-scribing. Tonight I found yet another new area and on close inspection found the plastic kit pieces that were in contact with the resin I used to fill were involved in a reaction and the soft areas were spreading. :badmood: With no other choice, I got a grip on my emotions, out came the saw and I removed the entire nacelle unit from the wing! :suicide:

DSCN6082.jpg

I think I'll put the CASA's away for a bit to give myself a chance to cool down and concentrate on the Spitfire Mk XIV builds I have started Here are a few pics of my minor disaster. Lesson learned: Do NOT use resin to fill plastic kit parts! Eric F

That's really unfortunate. It looked like a great solution I'd thought to use myself on a Liberator/ LB-30 conversion.

Better to take a break & have a pint (or ten) than to break something else--you have my sympathy...

Thanks for the sympathies guys! Ill just put the CASA's aside for a bit and concentrate on the Spitfire Mk IVX projects or a Coast Guard C-130 I started many years ago. I hope to have them finished for the IPMS nationals in Orlando Fl. next year.

Arie,

I've taken your advice and opened a nice Port, the better to asses the situation, besides I need some more foil from the top of the bottle for seat belts, I'm running low! :drink:

Moofles,

I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by my filling the inside of the plastic kit parts that form the leading edge of the wing and the rear of the nacelle with casting resin. I needed extra thickness of material to let me blend the Merlin engines into the wing and rear of the nacelle by filing and sanding. I believe the curing and out gassing :jealous: of the resin I used caused a reaction with the plastic parts. When I removed the nacelles I found the entire inside surface of the plastic pieces gooey and the plastic peeled off like a sheet of rubber! Not gonna do that again! :wall:

I think my next approach will be to build up the leading edge and rear part of the nacelle with styrene blocks and get busy with the Dremel and files! Eric F.

Why not fettle the nacelles up again, then drop them in RTV before they deteriorate again, and cast up some resin copies for yourself and maybe anyone else that fancies building one? :) Incidentally, what resin are you using that would goop up styrene? Any resin I've ever used is totally neutral in terms of reaction to the plastic :hmmm:

Was following this as I'd like to do the same someday, but for when you do decide to get going again on these two, here's a photo of one I took last year at the Spanish Air Force Museum.

1a4647db.jpg

cast up some resin copies for yourself and maybe anyone else that fancies building one?

I hope you're not advocating breaching Belcher's copyrights Michael, Sir? :nono:

Hmmm...

Are you sure the resin was fully mixed?

I frequently use casting resin for similar purposes (usually thin vac sheet - see my Ju-52 build) and only ever had a problem once - and that was because I hadn't mixed the resin properly - as evidenced by resin from the same tins working perfectly subsequently...

Iain

Hmmm...

Are you sure the resin was fully mixed?

I frequently use casting resin for similar purposes (usually thin vac sheet - see my Ju-52 build) and only ever had a problem once - and that was because I hadn't mixed the resin properly - as evidenced by resin from the same tins working perfectly subsequently...

Iain

Iain,

In hind sight I can't claim to be sure the resin was absolutely fully mixed. I am wondering if the kind of resin I used caused the problem. I have heard from other modelers who have had no problems and others who have using the same technique. I don't think I'll be doing this again though, too much work and time lost, not to mention losing the kit parts! Thanks for the thought though.

Eric

really is a strange thing, ive never had this problem and you are the first ive heard of it, any chance of some close up pics of the damaged areas?

Oh no! Make me live through the horror again?!? ;) Just kidding! Here are a couple of pics, I was in the process of cleaning off the work desk and these are the remains of the wing leading edge section. The aftermarket Merlin engines are fine and I will reuse them.

The gooey layer covered at least 75% of the plastic in contact with the resin and most of the rest of the plastic parts had become pliable enough to bend without difficulty. The plastic rods I used to attach the engines into the leading edge fairing had a gooey layer also.

DSCN6091.jpg

DSCN6089.jpg

DSCN6088.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Obsessed with getting this series completed, I couldn't stay away too long. Surveying the remains of the cowlings and nacelles it became apparent the loss of the kit leading edge/nacelle fairings would be the challenge to recreate. Earlier in the project in response to my request for suitable propellers, a fellow modeler sent me an entire a conversion set of unknown manufacture. As I had at that point already installed the engines and my ill fated nacelles, I set the conversion kit aside. After taking stock of what was left and reviewing my references yet again, I came to the conclusion that not only were the outer (narrower) Belcher Bits engines more accurate for the CASAs but the conversion kit's engines had almost the same dimensions, thank you to my benefactor John M! Although the fit of the conversion kit to the wing was going to take some work, I had a pretty good shape to start.

Now to attach the engine and to replace the leading edge/nacelle fairings on the second CASA. I boxed in the recess in the wing with styrene, this providing a solid base. A cross shaped slot was cut into the back of the resin engine cowling and a matching styrene mount was epoxied into the slots. Much measuring and aligning followed and the mount was cut, filed and glued tg the boxed section in the wing. The next step is to fill in the gaps with styrene block and get to carving!

At least the project is moving forward again! Eric F.

DSCN6092.jpg

slots cut to accept the styrene mounts

DSCN6127.jpg

Mounts in, braced and ready to be trimmed.

DSCN6132.jpg

A lot of measuring and trimming went on to get to this stage!

DSCN6133.jpg

DSCN6134.jpg

The conversion kit parts have pretty good outline and shape but.........

DSCN6094.jpg

..... require a bit of work to achieve proper fit!

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6138.jpg

A quick update for those who are still following this epic drama! A bit of motortool and file work that produced an impressive amount of plastic dust (I had to vacuum myself off!) the repair work to the nacelle is complete. I just need to do a bit of scribing and then I can get back to working on the cockpits.

Styrene blocks glued in place
DSCN6142.jpg

DSCN6143.jpg

Tools of the trade, coarse....
DSCN6144.jpg

...and fine
DSCN6145.jpg

Finally the end result, not perfect but close enough!
DSCN6157.jpg

DSCN6156.jpg

DSCN6150.jpg

The resin conversion kit parts were a bit easier!
DSCN6160.jpg

DSCN6161.jpg

DSCN6162.jpg

That's all for now! Eric F

Edited by Yankymodeler

Looking good Eric. Heck, you've had some trials haven't you. On the premise that what doesn't break us makes us stronger, you must be the proverbial man of steel now. :lol:

I've got a Revell/Hasegawa He111 in 1/72 with a Heritage conversion kit to use with it. I know the Heritage kit was designed to use with the Italeri He111 so I might have some trials of my own but the Revell 111 is a nicer kit overall I think. Bring on the next update.

Steve.

Impressive salvage operation there! Inspiring to the rest of us…

Incidentally (and that's why I'm following this WIP with particular interest) I've taxied about 10 minutes total in the CASA 2.111 belonging to the Confederate Airforce in Harlingen, TX. That was in 1979 and I was there with an old friend. I had a press card at that time and was offered a ride in the back seat of a P-51 during the actual air show.

Since I had my friend to consider, I instead chose the 111 and as we were taxying toward take off, the pilots performed the cockpit checks. The r h Merlin had a drop on one of the magnetoes but it was deemed acceptable.

Then, just as we were in line for take off, the radio died…

That was it! Taxy back, thank you and good bye. But my friend maintains to this day that he clearly recognised the silver haired pilot in the left seat. Apparently, we had been taxying with General Paul Tibbets.

One of my true "when I almost…" stories.

Good luck with the model!

/Joachim

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy couple of weeks so time for just a quick update to let you know the project is (as usual) creeping forward. Got the nacelles fine sanded, scribed and primed. So far they're looking ok. I got the props built up out of parts from the spare parts box, Hamilton Standard props off a B-17G and spinners from late model Me-109s. A bit of reshaping was needed but the result looks reasonably close to my reference pics.

Next: on to the cockpits!

DSCN6168.jpg

DSCN6169.jpg

DSCN6170.jpg

The openings in the spinners needed to be closed up a little and reshaped.

DSCN6174.jpg

The nacelles were drilled so a matching tube could be epoxied in and accept the aluminum tube propeller shaft.

DSCN6181.jpg

DSCN6182.jpg

Eric F. aka yankymodeler