Armstrong Whitworth Atlas

Robert Stuart

Hello,

Are there any good three view drawings of this, or, better, any models of the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas available - or planned (my prefered scale is 1/48, but 1/72 would be acceptable)?

Back-story: While browsing an old (1938 vintage) magazine, I stumbled on a build feature for an aircraft I'd never heard of - the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas.

The Atlas bears strong family resemblance to the AW Siskin - indeed I thought, at first, it was a badly drawn Siskin.

This image is typical of the model described:

V_Armstrong_Whitworth_Atlas_14_cyl_Jaguar_engine_19_October_1930_3FTS_Grantham.jpg

Source: THE ROYAL AIR FORCE IN THE 1930S

Apparently the Atlas was the RAF's first purpose built Army co-operation type

Wikipedia: Armstrong Whitworth Atlas

There's an attractive Canadian scheme painted by David Gibbings (link)

p.s. The feature was for a scratch build solid wood model in 1/72

Edited by Robert Stuart

Hello,

Are there any good three view drawings of this, or, better, any models of the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas available - or planned (my prefered scale is 1/48, but 1/72 would be acceptable)?

Back-story: While browsing an old (1938 vintage) magazine, I stumbled on a build feature for an aircraft I'd never heard of - the Armstrong Whitworth Atlas.

The Atlas bears strong family resemblance to the AW Siskin - indeed I thought, at first, it was a badly drawn Siskin.

This image is typical of the model described:

V_Armstrong_Whitworth_Atlas_14_cyl_Jaguar_engine_19_October_1930_3FTS_Grantham.jpg

Source: THE ROYAL AIR FORCE IN THE 1930S

Apparently the Atlas was the RAF's first purpose built Army co-operation type

Wikipedia: Armstrong Whitworth Atlas

There's an attractive Canadian scheme painted by David Gibbings (link)

p.s. The feature was for a scratch build solid wood model in 1/72

Hello Robert,

There was a 72nd scale vac back in the mists of time, by Blue Rider? possibly. I think it was one of the late Joe Chubbock's, so a nice model of its type with Aeroclub white metal bits and pieces (I think.........). I built it in perhaps the late eighties/early nineties and as I remember it looked very much the part. Where you'd get one now I have no idea. Apart from that, I don't know of any other kits and nothing in 48th.

Rowan

Sources for more information are Putnams's Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft since 1913 and (to a lesser extent) Aircraft of the RAF since 1918. You will have to pester your libary for both, I suspect they go for enormous prices second-hand. Both have half-page (about A6?) plans of reasonable quality for the size.

There is a new series of books coming out on Canadian military aviation which will no doubt be superb, but the volume including the Atlas may be some years away yet.

It is the kind of aircraft that may have featured in the old magazine "Planes", but I can't confirm that. If so, they would be the plans to go for.

Thanks guys

Rowan, Dave, following your suggestions, I've put a search on EvilBay, it seems these kits are still offered at an approachable price - if they appear (Link to one sold in ?France?)

Graham, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those two books

AWFK10, I like the scheme on J-8801 in the header phot of your link. I'm guessing the fuselage stripes were red

Robert

It was originally prepared under Joe's own Phoenix range, then (like all that range) issued under the 'Blue Rider' label. Not sure if it ever was released under the Phoenix label, but it certainly appeared under BLue Rider in August 1990.

I have one, under the Phoenix label.

Thanks guys

Rowan, Dave, following your suggestions, I've put a search on EvilBay, it seems these kits are still offered at an approachable price - if they appear (Link to one sold in ?France?)

AWFK10, I like the scheme on J-8801 in the header phot of your link. I'm guessing the fuselage stripes were red

Robert

Robert,

Yes, I think so. J8801 belonged to 26 Sqn, at Catterick - the same photo is reproduced in "The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force".

Regards

Patrick

Thanks guys

Robert

I've got a 1990 Phoenix 1/72 Atlas kit for you, Robert - see your PMs.

The instructions include a good 3-view and list three references: Putnam's AW Aircraft, Orbis Encyclopaedia of Aircraft and Air Pictorial Sept/Oct 1989.

Hope this helps

Tim

I've got a 1990 Phoenix 1/72 Atlas kit for you, Robert - see your PMs.

The instructions include a good 3-view and list three references: Putnam's AW Aircraft, Orbis Encyclopaedia of Aircraft and Air Pictorial Sept/Oct 1989.

Hope this helps

Tim

Robert,

Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol. 29 No. 11 - January 2008 published 1/48 scale drawings by Peter Green. I could scan it and send it via email if you should have problems to find a copy of the magazine.

And if there is one more 1/72 Atlas for sale, I'll be happy to hear guys. I have one Phoenix, but I am looking for another one to build the TM version too (if I live long enough :-).

Patrik

Hi Robert,

I once had a vague notion about trying to use the Matchbox Siskin and try to kit-bash an Atlas. To date, I haven't got past making a few notes and acquiring a couple of boxless Siskins cheap on e Bay. I was going to use the plan/drawings on this link. Hopefully they may be prove helpful.

Regards, Steve

http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/england/arm_atlas_mk1.gif

• 6 years later...

Hello all,

Just fount this topic about the Atlas. I'd like to make civilian G-ABIV decals for this plane ( http://www.airteamimages.com/armstrong-whitworth-atlas_G-ABIV_-private_116905_large.html ) and also would like to buy a kit of the old 1/72 scale Phoenix AW Atlas kit, if anyone has it for sale. Also would be very interested in getting somewhere the copy of those Aeromodeller 1/72 scale Atlas drawings. Can anyone help me to find these, please?

Mika

Hi Mika,

I suppose you know, but G-ABIV was Atlas Mk.II prototype, different from the production mark as represented by the Phoenix vacform - wings, fuselage, empennage, engine - to name just the most obvious parts. So I do not say it would not be possible to convert the Phoenix kit to Mk.II, but expect quite a lot of work.

Patrik