Hendrick does Hendricks 1/48 Bubbletop

For this group build I am going to do a 1/48 Tamyia Bubbletop P-47D in the markings of Randall "Pinky" Hendricks ...purely because my surname is Hendrick,and there are decals available, so it seemed as good a reason as any ...

this link shows the aircraft and also his previous Razorback ..which I shall try to do later... http://www.368thfightergroup.com/397-photo-5.html

Decals and kit ...

6139117721_b24ed7b360_z.jpg[/url]

6139121939_8b64fcdb56_z.jpg[/url]

Regards Trevor ... :D

Edited by sunshine coast

Did you notice that one of schemes is for his 7th "Kwtcherbitchin"?

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/images/39...cks-p47-d3h.jpg

A good example of the attrition rate amongst 9th Air Force P-47s.

Not suprising when you consider the nature of their day to day business.

Nige

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

Pinky .....

Mmmmm not quite what I was expecting as a nickname ...."Butch" or "Killer" would have had a bit more of a macho ring to it ...

Oh well ...he may only be a very very distant relative !!

have not found a reason yet ..but doing more digging ...interesting part of the process ....

this just started from typing my surname into Hattons decal lists and seeing what came up ...I shall try to do the Razorback at some stage ..will have to make up the marking for that one as there are no commercial ones available ..

Regards Trevor.. :D

A start has been made ....primer applied ...as the sun is shining today I used my exterior spray booth ....or outside of the back door of the shop !!!!

6149180677_ba0e4aa7fc_z.jpg

Progress on this build may be a bit erratic,I am having Chemotherapy at the moment and the energy levels are not that good,but that is one of the great things about this hobby and the forum ...they gives you something to focus on and relax ..and as this Group Build finishes about the same time as my treatments (hopefully) it gives me a target to aim for to get this one finished (the previous group builds got interrupted with one or two hiccups !!)...

Regards Trevor .... :D

Another link with footage from Hendricks gun cameras and side view of Kwtcherbitchin Razorback...

http://www.368thfightergroup.com/368-gunca...-hendricks.html

bloody hell... how is his grouping so precise? Especially with the attacks on the train, every shot seems to be on target. How was this done? From what I've seen of ground attacks, the rounds usually spread around a lot more than that.

Oh and btw... good luck with chemo. The Amazing Randi once described it as being poisoned to within an inch of your life so that shouldn't be too much fun to deal with. Hope you get well soon!

Edited by Basosz

bloody hell... how is his grouping so precise? Especially with the attacks on the train, every shot seems to be on target. How was this done? From what I've seen of ground attacks, the rounds usually spread around a lot more than that.

Oh and btw... good luck with chemo. The Amazing Randi once described it as being poisoned to within an inch of your life so that shouldn't be too much fun to deal with. Hope you get well soon!

Yes it was very good grouping ...like a lot of things ..maybe he was just a natural ..or lucky ..! Have not found out much more yet about what he did later....but will keep hunting ..

"The Amazing Randi once described it as being poisoned to within an inch of your life"

Sounds about right ....feels like it today .....but hey ho ....it could be worse ..the original prognosis was terminal !!...but I got very lucky and have a very good chance of getting rid of it .... :mg:

Regards Trevor ... :D:D

Edited by sunshine coast

Good on yer for keeping going Trevor... Glad we're distracting you :wicked: Now get a move on! :whip: ...keep going with the model & reasearch! :fight: Don't forget to scrape the primer off the mating surfaces when you get round to assembling the parts ;)

Started on the pit tonight,done most of the paintwork of instruments sidewalls etc ............also did the wheel wells etc in the yellow chromate primer ...

but have now run out of puff . :sleep_1: ..will start assembly over the weekend and post some photos ....

Thanks for the compliments ....I class myself as basically an "out the box" modeller,wether it is plastic, resin or mixed media... ...I will use other decals and colour schemes,but rarely any aftermarket etches or resin ....and I do find it encouraging to customers if I can truthfully say "so and so" kit builds really well ...or very occasionally.... "it's c**p".... :o

anyway ..a bit more progress tonight ....not much energy left today ..

6167173900_8a7ecea2e7_z.jpg

6167186694_f4dd0de076_z.jpg

by the way the kit is in light grey primer which the"daylight"bulb is turning a very pretty shade of blue-grey ..!

Weather forecast is good...and all ready for spraying tomorrow at work...

6185991303_7f9088d6d8_z.jpg

6185987719_733628312c_z.jpg

6186508398_041474f8f4_z.jpg

The drop tanks,bombs and rockets will not be used on this aircraft, although I have fitted the bomb racks,it would appear from my research that at this time (June/July 44) the unit was based in Normandy doing close support but I have not come across any photos ,as yet, of a unit aircraft with rockets fitted or drop tanks .....bombs were being used at this time,hence the racks,but I just have chosen not to fit them,for a change ...the spares will all get painted and may even be used in a diorama .....( anyone know of models of WW2 bomb trolleys in 1/48th). As this build is going well (for me anyway !!!) I am going to also do Hendricks' Razorback as another entry ... :o

The drop tanks,bombs and rockets will not be used on this aircraft, although I have fitted the bomb racks,it would appear from my research that at this time (June/July 44) the unit was based in Normandy doing close support but I have not come across any photos ,as yet, of a unit aircraft with rockets fitted or drop tanks .....bombs were being used at this time,hence the racks,but I just have chosen not to fit them,for a change ...the spares will all get painted and may even be used in a diorama .....( anyone know of models of WW2 bomb trolleys in 1/48th). As this build is going well (for me anyway !!!) I am going to also do Hendricks' Razorback as another entry ... :o

Hi Trevor,

Looking good!

I've been looking through "Second To None", the 368thFG history and haven't found any reference yet as to where the "Pinky" nickname originated. If I do though I'll shout up!

Never seen a 368th aircraft with the M10 rocket tubes, although approaching the end of the war some aircraft were fitted with HVAR rockets. These weren't popular as they sat underneath the cartridge ejection ports, and had to be fired before the .50cal Brownings as the spent cases tended to break the firing wires of the rockets.

Drop tank photos are common, with both 108 Gal and 150 Gal tanks being seen on the fusalage mounting points.

Looking forward to more progress photos :)

All the best,

Nige

Lampie,

Thanks for the info .....and I like the 56th site a lot ... :thumbsup:

I am enjoying the research as much as the build ....I have found a "Bud Hendricks" in the 65th FS ,P-47s..in Italy/Corsica..... .just need to find a "Hendrick/s " pilot for the P-51 GB now ...!

Edited by sunshine coast

Hi Trevor.

Glad you like the 56th site :)

Couple of avenues you may want to look down in further research projects.

Lt Howard Hendricks. 77th FS/20th FG. Damaged 2 Ju88's(ground) on 8th April 44 in a P-38.

May have still been with the group when they transitioned to P-51's a few months after.

There were 3 Hendricksons scored vistories with the 8th.

Edwin Hendrickson. 357thFS 355FG had a 109 confirmed on July 13th 44 in a P-51.

Lauri Hendrickson, 434thFS, 479thFG got a 190 on April 13th 45 in a P-51

Another P-38 pilot with ground kills is Robert Hendrickson of the same squadron, who again may have been with the group when the transitioned to P-51's

Stretching the spelling a little further but staying with the 434th FS 479thFG,

George Hendrix, 1-0-1 air and 2-3 ground damaged a 190 while flying a P-51 on Oct 6th 44, the rest of his score was achieved flying Lightnings.

P-38 Group Build anybody?

All the best

Nige