Jackman said:
You & me both! Didn't realise the Revell Phantom could be converted to such a fine looking EJ-Kai. I've always felt that the Revell kit had an under-sized canopy/windshield as well as too thin a nose. But Navy Bird's one came out looking Fantastic! Good work! I've save this thread for future reference.

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. Regarding the undersized canopy/windshield, the Revell kit looks good compared with photos that I have of this actual aircraft in flight:

normal_07-8435_1_JASDF_Gravity1

I think that one of the things that can amplify the effect of an F-4 windscreen looking "squashed" is when folks paint framing along the bottom of the windscreen. On the real thing, the windscreen glass goes right into the front fuselage along the bottom, there is no visible "frame" like there is along the rear edge and around the flat front glass. You can see what I mean here:

F-4Ewindscreen

If you look back at my build thread, you'll notice that in the picture where I show the painted canopy pieces, I had originally painted the frame along the bottom. When I set this on the model prior to gluing, it did not look "right" to me. So I started researching real F-4 canopy photos and that's when I learned that there is no frame along the bottom. So I stripped the paint off, and re-painted without a frame along the bottom. Then I had another problem, when I put the windscreen on the model you could "see" the bottom edge of the clear plastic - it looked "bright." This would normally be hidden with a frame painted along the bottom. So I painted the bottom edge of the windscreen (the part where the glue is applied prior to setting on the model) flat black, and it then "blended" into the fuselage color, and it look quite good to me.

I hope I explained that well enough so you could understand what I mean!

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...