Thunderbolt Mk1

Afternoon all,

My entry will be based on the Academy kit with Rising Decals SEAC Fighters providing the markings. I won't be starting my build until the end of the month as I need to wait until I can afford to buy the kits in the first place!

Anyhoo, a couple of pics of my intended build for your delectation,

P9110165.jpg

P9110166.jpg

Until the end of the month then!

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime

You don't get many colourful RAF schemes, so to have chequerboards AND noseart was too good an opportunity to pass up! I'm looking forward to cutting plastic as soon as poss on this GB.

Which kit are you planning to use for this one Mark?

For this one I'll be using the Academy kit. I'll be adding some etch RAF type harness, might add a Quickboost engine if I'm feeling fruity.

Mark.

cant wait harry

Neither can I!

I was going to be using the Academy kit as the basis for a MkI, but now I've had a look into what other folk are using/recommending I'm going to spunk the cash on Tamiya's Razorback. Now I'm really looking forward to getting started!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Afternoon All,

Finally splashed the cash on my second entry for this GB and made a start today.

PB010059.jpg

The obligitory box shot.

PB010061.jpg

Tamiya's lovely kit in the box...

PB010066.jpg

...and after a quick coat of Zinc Chromate Primer. Should really enjoy this if all the reviews are to be believed!

Mark.

Afternoon All,

Finally splashed the cash on my second entry for this GB and made a start today.

...and after a quick coat of Zinc Chromate Primer. Should really enjoy this if all the reviews are to be believed!

Mark.

You really should. Did this one for my first entry and it's an effing dream to build. You should have no issues with correcting or scratching anything, just build it :D

You really should. Did this one for my first entry and it's an effing dream to build. You should have no issues with correcting or scratching anything, just build it :D

Now if that's not a recommendation, I don't know what is!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Just a quick update on this one. Cracked out the Airbrush last night and sprayed the cockpit components green. I'll be doing the detail painting over the next few days and get this one caught up with my Mk II build. Also got the detail painting of the wheel bays done, just need to dirty them up a wee bit and then it's time to build the wings.

PB150088.jpg

Some of the cockpit parts. The detail is fantastic, can't wait to see how it comes up after its all painted!

PB150089.jpg

PB150090.jpg

Some of the detail painting underway. The engine is the only weak point in this kit, but even then it beats most other kit supplied engines!

Mark.

Evening All,

Small update on this one. This is a real pleasure to build, so much so I'm now planning on using the bubbletop version on a build over the next few months! I've got the wings assembled, just need to tidy up my ham fisted insertion of the panels by the wheel wells. I've also finished the detail painting and weathering of the cockpit parts, so tonight I'll be building that up. The engine has also been done and will be assembled as well.

PB170099.jpg

The assembled wings. All I can say is that they went together easily and the detail in the wells is very nicely done, it is certainly a lot sharper than that in the Revell kit. But then you can buy 3 of them for the cost of one of these!

PB200103.jpg

The virtually perfect cockpit parts painted and ready for assembly. The only addition here will be a Sutton harness from Eduard.

I plan to have this assembled by midweek and in the paintshop by this time next week.

Mark.

Morning All,

Just a little bit of progress last night on the cockpit. Added an etch Sutton Harness from Eduard to the seat and then built up the cockpit ready to fit in the fuselage once I've painted the gunsight assembly. The cockpit is easily the match, indeed the better, of many aftermarket resin ones I have used over the years. Anyhoo, enough gushing, here's the pics,

PB210113.jpg

PB210118.jpg

I've also got the engine built up and ready for installation once painting is complete.

Mark.

Nice cockpit Mark

Thanks Mish

Well, for interior detail, this just blows the Academy and Revell kits away.

Looking good Mark.

Deacon

Deacon,

The Revell kit is pretty good, especially when you factor in the price, and is far superior to the Academy offering. But this Tamiya stuff is outstanding! All it needs is some decent etch belts to compliment the kit parts. This is the first Tamiya kit I've ever built in my model making life and I've got to say I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm now really looking forward to doing their P-51D in the Mustang STGB.

Mark.

I've not forgotten about my builds, just had a rather hectic week at work. However, I ordered a few wee treats from Hannants for this little puppy and they turned up today, so I'll be cracking on over the next few days and have this in the paintshop for the weekend.

PB290119.jpg

These'll be getting a bath shortly and then left overnight so I can do a little painting in the morning before work.

Mark.

Afternoon All,

A very quick update on this one. I haven't neglected it, just haven't made a whole lot of progress until now. The intercooler exhausts have been painted up and glued in place which allowed me to close up the fuselage last night. Since this kit just about builds itself, I also added the wings and the stabs at the same time.

PC070027.jpg

As if by magic, the Jug appeared!

PC070029.jpg

PC070030.jpg

These two shots show just how much of that cockpit you can see once it's installed. I'll definitely be doing this one with an open canopy.

In other news, the canopy parts have been dipped in Klear and will be masked up once they're dry. I've also started painting up the resin prop parts, so that'll be ready shortly too. Now, thanks to a bit of an upset stomach, I've had to take today off work. This means I've got a bit of time on my hands, so I might just be able to catch this one up for the GB deadline. It might not be completely finished, but it'll be damn close!

Mark.

Looks good Mark

Thanks Mish.

Just a little progress report for now. I've managed to get a little filling and sanding done (mostly around the wing inserts) and tidy up some of the details around the cockpit that will be visible ready for the installation of the windscreen. Canopy parts have been dipped in Klear and are being masked up ready for painting etc.

PC070033.jpg

Used some 5amp fuse wire as hydraulic lines on the gear legs before these got a quick coat of matt aluminium. These just need detail painting and a quick wash the dirty them up a bit now.

PC080036.jpg

Warmed up the wheels a little to put in the bulge and the flat spot. Unfortunately, one now looks like it's got a puncture! Oh well, at least the ground crew now have something to do...

PC080040.jpg

A detail view of the Quickboost intercooler exhausts in place. These really do add a little extra and I'd recommend them, I'll certainly be using them on my next P-47 build in the new year.

PC080043.jpg

The kit engine painted up, assembled and then given a wash to dirty it up. This certainly looks the part and when viewed in place in the cowling is more than adequate. If you're feeling flush you can get a Quickboost replacement, but in my opinion it is not an essential item.

That's all for now,

Mark.