RAF Mitchell II 226 Sqn

Modelling has taken a back seat for the past few months but I have finally finished a project I started in April. Any enjoyment associated with this build was short lived as I tried to overcome fit issues with a badly warped nose and a fuselage seam that kept re-appearing! There were various other fit issues including the engine cowlings which all contrived to see this kit almost going in the bin. It is finished as MQ-A/FW130 of 226 Squadron in June 1944 and this aircraft took part in the bombing of Panzer Group West headquarters at Chateau de la Caine on 10th June, which for me was quite relevant as I visited the site in 2008 as part of a Staff Ride with the RAuxAF.

Anyway enough of all that, onto the model. It was built OOB with the exception of an Eduard zoom set and paint masks and Quickboost gun barrels. The model was painted with Gunze/Mr. Colour neutral grey and olive drab after pre-shading. The OD was lightened and darkened to achieve the worn and patchy appearance this aircract had by that time. Messrs. Shores and Thomas's excellent series of books on 2nd Tactical Air Force were used as a reference, particularly the photos on page 148, (IWM CL106 and 107). National markings, codes and serials came from generic sets from Xtradecal and Modeldecal but the wing roundels were sprayed using my own masks as I wanted to replicate the faded and patchy appearance. And yes, they are supposed to be different sizes!

Look forward to your comments, all the best

Howard

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00491.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

DSC00485.jpg

• Like 13

What a lovely model, well done sir! Not a subject that you see every day and nice to see an RAF Mitchell for a change.

Re the `frame lines' on the turret mentioned earlier, it is correct not to paint them as they were perspex seam lines!

Cheers for sharing your model with us,

Tony O

What a lovely model, well done sir! Not a subject that you see every day and nice to see an RAF Mitchell for a change.

Re the `frame lines' on the turret mentioned earlier, it is correct not to paint them as they were perspex seam lines!

Cheers for sharing your model with us,

Tony O

My mistake,and apologies to Howard...

I was sure I had recently looked at photos of B-25s with some metal framing on the turret...must be the old grey cells getting muddled as usual!

Regards Trevor ... :D

What a Beauty

May I ask what paints brand you used?

Bo

Modelling has taken a back seat for the past few months but I have finally finished a project I started in April. Any enjoyment associated with this build was short lived as I tried to overcome fit issues with a badly warped nose and a fuselage seam that kept re-appearing! There were various other fit issues including the engine cowlings which all contrived to see this kit almost going in the bin. It is finished as MQ-A/FW130 of 226 Squadron in June 1944 and this aircraft took part in the bombing of Panzer Group West headquarters at Chateau de la Caine on 10th June, which for me was quite relevant as I visited the site in 2008 as part of a Staff Ride with the RAuxAF.

Anyway enough of all that, onto the model. It was built OOB with the exception of an Eduard zoom set and paint masks and Quickboost gun barrels. The model was painted with Gunze/Mr. Colour neutral grey and olive drab after pre-shading. The OD was lightened and darkened to achieve the worn and patchy appearance this aircract had by that time. Messrs. Shores and Thomas's excellent series of books on 2nd Tactical Air Force were used as a reference, particularly the photos on page 148, (IWM CL106 and 107). National markings, codes and serials came from generic sets from Xtradecal and Modeldecal but the wing roundels were sprayed using my own masks as I wanted to replicate the faded and patchy appearance. And yes, they are supposed to be different sizes!

Look forward to your comments, all the best

Howard

Edited by Greg B
Removing repeated photos

There were different types of turrets used on the B-25. Two types of Bendix turrets were used, one without metal frames and ones that had one central metal frame, the rest of the structural lines were perspex frame/join lines. There was also some variation on the use of metal plating and reinforcement. Difficult to say whether or not the frames on this very aircraft were metal or perspex. You'd have to see pictures or know detailed information on which type of turret was installed. If in doubt, I'd say, leave them unpainted as Howard did.

I understand that most restored B-25 feature Martin turrets which are different again.

But Howard - very very nice B-25 built!

J

Edited by JeffreyK

Well, I feel quite humbled. You have all been very generous with your comments, thankyou!

Bo, the paints were all Gunze Sangyo Mr Colour. I used their neutral Grey H053 and the Olive drab is H304. There is another Olive Drab in the range specified for vehicles, (H078) and I used this to create some slight variation in the overall finish.

In response to the turret question, the photo I have tends to suggest it was a Martin clearview turret. I am pretty sure it was the Bendix one fitted to B25-Js which had framing front to rear. Some also had an armour panel behind the gunner's head. There is a reference here:

http://browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/04_top.htm

Once again, many thanks for your comments

best regards

Howard

Its builds like this that have inspired me to have a go at aircraft modelling. I think some aircraft look better with a camo paint scheme over a NMF finish and this type is one of them. I'm glad it didn't end up in the bin as i'm sure you are now. You've made a mighty fine job of her.

.In response to the turret question, the photo I have tends to suggest it was a Martin clearview turret. I am pretty sure it was the Bendix one fitted to B25-Js which had framing front to rear. Some also had an armour panel behind the gunner's head. There is a reference here:

http://browningmgs.com/AirGunnery/04_top.htm

Once again, many thanks for your comments

best regards

Howard

Thanks for yours and JeffreyKs' responses on the turret...it looks like the B-25 I was looking at had the Bendix turret with some framing ...good to know the grey cells have not died completely ..must watch out for the details when I do a B-25 ....hopefully half as good as yours ..

Regards Trevor .. :D

this my friend is a awsome build in a wartime dio setting it would be a show stopper very very well presented kit you must be a proud man

Thanks mate, you are too kind. Funnily enough a dio had crossed my mind but for my own sanity I am leaving it well alone for now.

Very very nice, reminds me of Grumpy

Cheers, at times it certainly made me f*****g grumpy!! :D