Academy 1/48 P-47N

My second entry for the GB is the Academy 1/48 P-47N special "Expected Goose". The only thing I may add will be a resin seat.

Hope you will like it.

Tony..

Great choice Tony, it's a great kit. Don't know how bothered you are about these things but the reduction housing/magneto drive/cover thingy on the front of the engine is the domed version rather than the correct later cylindrical version (much chunkier), you might want to investigate a late R-2800 too. The choice is yours of course!

Wez

The resin seat turned up today in the post that was the good thing and now the bad. Started to dry fit the fuselage and wings to get an idea of the size of the kit. Notice that the wings dont fit the fuselage. Erm what to do?

DSCF8095.jpg

DSCF8094.jpg

DSCF8093.jpg

May return the kit back to the shop.

:boom:

Having checked a few sites out that show the sprues laid out it does look like the wings are for another kit. So back to the shop tomorrow to swap it .

Tony..

You'd be right. The wings in the kit are for a D. They're not the increased span, square-cut tip wings of the N.

Joseph

Edited by JosephLalor

Took the kit back this morning and swapped it for another one (pics to follow). While there checked it with another of the same and it too had the wrong wings in it. Also the one from Modelzone turned up so I now have a few P-47s to work on.

DSCF8114.jpg

Well it doesnt have the wrong wings.

Tony..

The seats on the N's had arm rests - along with the autopilot they provided the pilot with a bit of comfort during those long transits to and from Japan!

Wez

Cheers for the info. Having checked on the net plus a few books I have looked at some did have standard seats. Also while researching I have found that yellow on the aircraft was replaced by blue. May be another option for me. Now checking the serial number as it may be wrong on the decals.

Tony..

Hi Tony.

I had a quick look through my albeit limited P.T.O records on P-47s.

There is some confusion regarding the serial number of 774. It's listed as both 44-88391 ( the kit option) and 44-88839. Both are N-5's though.

Regarding the cowl and empennage colours, you're right about the blue.

According to my references 414th FG used the following,

413thFS. Aircraft letters 650-699.

Yellow cowl and empennage.

437thFS. Aircraft letters 700-749

Yellow and black checkerboard on cowl and empennage.

456thFS Aircraft letters 750-799

Blue cowl and empennage

You can just see the blue of 456th FS aircraft on the far left and far right of this photo.

414thFG.jpg

Hope this helps,

Nige

http://p47.kitmaker.net/

http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/