1/72 SAAF Turbo Dak

Gajman

Hi,

Finsihed with a day to spare!! There are some aerials missing but when the U shaped aerial thingie that I'd just spent 30 minutes scratchbuilding pinged out of the tweezers to be swallowed by the carper monster I just took it as a sign that the build was over.

tdf1-1.jpg

tdf2-1.jpg

tdf3-1.jpg

tdf4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Edited by Gajman

If this turns into a nightmare build I'm going to blame you for selling me the conversion set Simon :)

I've made a start. Lots of cutting right now to make way for the resin inserts.

dak100.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments/criticisms are welcome.

Gary

???? its two cuts....really very easy to do.

rgds ian

ha ha ha ... not! :)

Nothing like a little bit of pressure eh Gajman? Suddenly quite a lot of interest in this one!

I was having a quick browse through this STGB to see how other peoples builds were progressing and noticed the unexpected activity on my thread. Yes, I'm feeling a bit intimidated with all the attention :)

I hope your instructions give the correct amount of tail weight to put in to stop all that resin from turning it into a nose-sitter :winkgrin:

Andy

:D

I have done a bit more work on it. I'll take a pic and post an update when I get home tonight.

Thanks for all the interest everyone.

Gary

Edited by Gajman

I'd never heard of this up to now. It's a pretty aircraft:

Now - where would I find a conversion in 1:48? :hmmm:

I would love to know, What are the engines used for the conversion? Surely theres something out there you could adapt?

I would love to know, What are the engines used for the conversion? Surely theres something out there you could adapt?

According to the IPMS SA website : (Click here to view the original web page)

Central to the upgrade is the fitment of the new; light weight Pratt & Whitney PT-6A turbines. These engines replace the old Pratt & Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasps. The new turbines use less fuel, are very quiet in operation, while offering a significant increase in power output. The turbines are housed in new composite cowlings, which significantly reduce drag. Old props have been replaced by a new 5 blade Hartzell prop. The lighter powerplant causes a shift in the centre of gravity and to counter this effect the fuselage is extended by a 1.02m fuselage plug. The airframe also received a complete overhaul at the same time it was extended. Two additional fuselage windows are fitted which brings the windows to eight on the port side and nine on the starboard side. However, some TpDaks are fitted with a different arrangement. The front cockpit windows were replaced by a single pane window for improved forward visibility. Modifications were made to the elevators, ailerons and rudder. More power output and a longer fuselage, means a heavier payload, which necessitates a new strengthened cargo floor. The cockpit received modern instrumentation and communication equipment.

Gary

I've started gluing the resin to the plastic. The rods you see sticking out are because the Heritage Aviation plug is a few mm too narrow for the real plug which was 40 inches. So I put the rods in place to support the filling I will have to do.

ttdak111.jpg

Gary

Edited by Gajman

Looks very nice, and clean too, if that makes any sense. It just looks like you're being very careful with it. Now you've mentioned all the changes to a turbo dak, it's quite obvious that it is a good deal more than just an engine swap, it breathes new life into a classic airframe.

Hi,

The fuselage is now together. The plug was slightly short so I had to extend it by about 2 mm.

ttdc.jpg

In the background is my ongoing C-130 project, which also involves extending the fuselage except that this is scratchbuilding, no aftermarket sets (I guess I enjoy doing these things)

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...