Italeri C-47

I have just started an Italeri C-47 so might just post progress here.

It is a very nicely moulded model.

I'm not sure of the final livery as yet but it will be RAF.

I am a bit reluctant to go the super detail route but I do like to see detail where it is necessary and the interior of this does need something so here we go:

Putting some structure inside as it can be seen through the door.

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

Lets see how this goes.

Anyone got any suggestions as to livery? and pointers to decals to suit?

Ta

Mike

ah my own personaly taste, but if i were to do a dak would have to be in D-day scheme, with the invasion stypes, with some little blokes in mid jump...would look so cool. Just think you could have a line of them standing there on the inside, some trailing wire out of the door simulating previous jumpers, and a lil guy at the door about to jump, and one half way down the wire in mid jump...be ace.

• 3 weeks later...

That's going to look fantastic with a drop mof paint on it, Mike

My favourite for the C-47 would be the post-war RAF with the dk blue cheat line - beautiful

Why don't you enter this into the Group Build? Will be fun - you have plenty of time?

Andy

Edited by AndyC

Yeah looks great, you really should join the group build, I'd say you're eligible and as I'm running it I think that counts!

As for schemes, A Berlin Airlift one would be neat, maybe set up as a little diorama unloading supplies at Tempelhof. hehe.

But whatever you decide I'm sure it will be good, some great work on the interior so far.

You'll need to tell me what a group build is?

There are loads of excellent schemes for this aircraft but I think I would rather like something in the D-Day era but I need a real aircraft to work from if anyone knows of a specific serial number that took part I'd see if I can do it in that.

Mike

a group build is where people build subjects based on a theme (if you scroll down the main page you will see a Group Build section). The one the guys meant is specifically for Dakotas:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showforum=347

must say that interior detail is very neat and really adds something to the build... look forward to seeing the rest of it develop.

I think I have decided on 233 Sqn FZ692 which is the current sceme for the BBMF aircraft.

This aircraft when on 233 Sqn was based at RAF Blakehill Farm which was a stones throw from where I used to live.

It is (I think) the subject of the Haynes manual so there will be better detail images there to assist, just need to find decals for it.

Oh, and yes, both doors will be open.

Edited by Mike Howles

• 3 months later...

An update is now required!!

Due to other stuff going on I completely missed the group build deadline, thought I might. However the weather here in Wales has been rubbish so I have been able to spend a bit of time in my attic room.

Interior fitting complete for the structure:

IMG_4182.jpg

Engines being made up. I made some new oil coolers for them as well.

IMG_4501.jpg

Started on some rudimentary seating, not too much fuss but it would look well empty without something in there:

IMG_4505.jpg

Now a first coat of paint, however I did not like the Xtracrylix Interior Green, the Vallejo Air one is a much better colour.

IMG_4507.jpg

How to get the door hinges right, glue the door on by just the hinge:

IMG_4510.jpg

Then cut through the hinge:

IMG_4517.jpg

I did the landing lights at the same time:

IMG_4514.jpg

Components coming together:

IMG_4524.jpg

I also dod not like the way the astro dome was fitted so made up a tube for it to sit on:

IMG_4550.jpg

Ready to glue the interior fittings in:

IMG_4558.jpg

Fitted some straps from masking tape:

IMG_4562.jpg

All glued up ready for fuselage finishing:

IMG_4573.jpg

Edited by Mike Howles

Nice progress mate, I havent started any of my transports yet, got the 48th Italeri 130J in the stash though and that will be getting the full works inside. you settled on a colour scheme yet?

Nice progress mate, I havent started any of my transports yet, got the 48th Italeri 130J in the stash though and that will be getting the full works inside. you settled on a colour scheme yet?

Yes its going to be the BBMF aircraft when in 271 Sqn colours.

Very nice Mike. I know what you mean about Xtracrylix's Interior Green - I have stopped using it as it doesn't cut the mustard as far as I'm concerned - a nice Olive Green but not US Interior Green

Andy

A bit more work done here, mainly tidying up and getting the fuselage ready for wing fit:

Masked up and lower centre wing section fitted:

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

And upper wing sections fitted:

IMG_4723.jpg

Yeah, that looks ok!!

Just need to get the joins tidied up a bit, surprisingly they are rather good so will only need a bit of work.

IMG_4725.jpg

Nice choice of aircraft. Had the chance to do Arnhem a few years back when in RAuxAF and visited the exact spot where David Lord's aircraft went in. Also visited his grave and laid a wreath from our squadron.

weegie