vallejo panzer aces colours & dragon panther ausf d w/zim

Steve W!

Hi all,

I have just picked up a boxed set of Vallejo panzer aces model air paints. Some seem to be really strangely named and I was wondering if any body has come across a guide to using these in English.

I am planning to do a build of dragons panther d with zim. I have found an obscure reference to a ausf d with zim in a late war lozenge pattern that includes a really nice purple colour. The reference is an artists drawing in an old 1970s salamander publishing afv book - I was wondering if anybody has come across any photos or more modern references of this camo on this tank?.

I am thinking about a late war diorama of an old panther in the withdraw from France or even into Austria.

Cheers all

SW

Edited by Steve W!

I have just picked up a boxed set of Vallejo panzer aces model air paints.

The Model Air and Panzer Aces are two different colour ranges (unless these are a new range I've not come across yet). Panzer Aces are not pre-thinned for airbrush use, and should be treated/used as if they were standard Vallejo Model Colour paint. The amount of thinning is dependant on your own personal requirements really. I usually start round 50/50 and, personally, use their own Acrylic Thinners.

I was wondering if any body has come across a guide to using these in English.

There should be a leaflet in the back of the paint box (Under the Plastic tray), but as Jonathan says, their website covers just about everything.

Thanx guys :-)

I usually use lifecolor acrylics and thinner. I have never used Vallejo before. Could I still use the lifecolor thinner or is it drastically different from Vallejo's formula?

Thanx for your time

Steve

Noooooooooo! "Acrylic" is a bit of a misnomer as, unlike enamels, they can be all different types of "acrylic" an not all compatible with the same thinning agent.

I would suggest getting a bottle each of their thinners and cleaner, the latter some prefer as a thinning agent in itself. You can also use water to thin (but it weakens adherence) and also flush the airbrush prior to a deep clean with airbrush cleaner.

Any questions, do ask, I'm a total Vallejo convert and have the full range of everything!

12a89451.jpg

2019b2e6.jpg

da3be874.jpg

Hi JM,

OMG what an awesome setup - I need to remortgage the house :-D

Ok I have an excuse to go for it - it was my 40th last week an family have had a collection so I have credits :-)

Can u recomend a supplier and any other boxed sets and products that may save time/money or are essential.

Thanx SW

I'm a total Vallejo convert and have the full range of everything!

I am deeply envious. :jealous:

This is my goal, everytime I pop into the city I pick up a couple (or 6) new colours, "Just Coz" really.

I currently have just over half the Model Air range and about half of the Model Colour, with a few Game Colour and Panzer Aces thrown in.

I'm getting there. :lol:

I am tempted to get the model colour boxed set of 72 colours. It works out at about 2quid per colour. Pretty good value for high quality stuff. Beats the pants of citadel paints.

Really tempted to get the full set of model air from smnstuff.

Will last me for years hopefully. I take it that model air still adhere well from brush too??

Sw

Hi All,

just looking through my Panzer Aces boxed set and there is one labled 'Stencil'

I take it this is a masking liquin to help do splinter camo etc? If so is it any good? I have had problems before with some acrylics and manufactured liquid masks.

cheers

SW

ps smnstuff is great I so want everything right now :)

Edited by Steve W!

Just had a look at the Panzer Aces leaflet and it does indeed show 'Stencil' as the outline for numbers.

Jon

Thanx guys

There is another off white in there to do German camo too.

A lot of work and expertise has gone into creating this set.. I am very impressed. Not used it on any afv's yet but all shades of Green are great for doing undead. The kids got me painting the zombies for a boardgame :-D

Edited by Steve W!

• 3 months later...
Thanx guys

There is another off white in there to do German camo too.

A lot of work and expertise has gone into creating this set.. I am very impressed. Not used it on any afv's yet but all shades of Green are great for doing undead. The kids got me painting the zombies for a boardgame :-D

Back to your 1st post, If I were you I would discount some older camo profiles. You say you want to do a Panther D in a late war scenario. Well Im a bit of a Panther nut and I can tell you this, Panther D production run ended in late 43 both these and some of the early Ausf A's left the factory without zimmerit, so when you see a D with zimmerit it means it was field applied in widely differing patterns. Im aware that the dragon D with zim has a neat vertical pattern, fine. As you probably know the D's that were used at Kursk in july 43 had many defects, so many had to be overhauled and many were shipped back to Germany, and some served with training units, at the wars end many such vehicles were scraped together to patch up battered units or form new 'last ditch units' your Panther may well have features from later Panthers and upgrades, most early Panther road wheels with 16 bolts around the rims had them doubled or replaced with new wheels with 28 bolts. Some would have a mix of road wheel types. Ive seen an old 16 bolt wheel on a Ausf G along with the new wheels, Ive seen pics here and there of older Panthers inc D's in the last days. These would have been issued and back to repair several times to have lasted 2 years so they would have been repainted and re numbered several times, maybe to the extent that hardly any dark yellow would show, and this would have been done before the late 44 (and after) factory schemes. Maybe some fresh yellow wheels among dirty older ones with worn tyres. Also its main gun would have been changed at least once, Panthers were often returned to be completly rebuilt, and late war you see things like a D turret on a G hull, go mad and google as many Panther pics as possible, and when it comes to colour, just remember sprayed colours should be as official or lighter, but the paints were a paint to be diluted with petrol,if hardly diluted or not at all they could be darker. Just food for thought, I hope you build a good Panther, Ive built a Tamiya G,and a D with white camo, and Ive got an early A late A,a G with steel wheels, and a final G, all Dragon in my stash,

• 4 weeks later...

Vallejo stuff is very good, i have the Game Colour box case, an investment as i do a lot of GW figure painting looking at comp entry soon.

I have bought a few Model colours for a me 262 i have as i havent used them before and wanted too, as heard good things. I also bought a box of Model air "Extreme tank set" to try model air.

Going to spray my king tiger in hard edge camo with the yellow, red and green corresponding colours to tamiya xf colours.

Hopefully will turn out well :)

Might see about the model colour case in the summer.