Searching for a Britannia in 1/144th

Meatbox8

Does anyone know of a kit of the Bristol Britannia in 1/144 scale other than the Welshmodels version? I'm afraid I can't face vacform. I'm also looking for a kit of the HS748 in similar scale to compete my post war British airliner collection. The HS748 was built in fairly large numbers by UK standards and, I think, licence built in India so it seems strange there is no kit around.

Your hopefully, Meatbox 8

only one i know is the welsh models one

That's what I feared. Do you think they do a version where just the fuselage is vac? Might consider it in the face of no alternative.

Don't be frightened of vac form models they are quite easy, I have just acquired the vacform HS748 but in 1/72, Welsh model kits are quite easy to do as there plastic is quite thick once you are past the cutting out and sanding down, they just become like a normal model kit

yes they do i got this one SL 119 P P/Moulded Bristol Britannia 102 airline is Britannia Airways

Thanks for the info. I think I might have to bite the bullet. Thinking of a British Eagle scheme. I like BOAC colours but I don't think they liked their Britannias as they didn't seem to use them for long.

Interesting story vis the Britannia. I sat next to a retired stewardess on a Virgin flight to Barbados once and she told me that while working on a Britannia over the Alps, late 60s I think, the aircraft suddenly decided to drop 10,000 feet pretty much vertically without warning. She had to hang on to the drinks trolly to avoid being stuck to the ceiling! Change of trousers all round, I would imagine! :sick:

Don't be frightened of vac form models they are quite easy, I have just acquired the vacform HS748 but in 1/72, Welsh model kits are quite easy to do as there plastic is quite thick once you are past the cutting out and sanding down, they just become like a normal model kit

Perhaps you're right. I do plenty of vac form canopies (can't say I enjoy the experience though). Welshmodels do seem to fill some glaring gaps in the market for British airliners and military transports that I can't see anyone else doing. I've often wondered why Magna Models don't scale down some of their more recent releases like the Whistling Wheelbarrow. I'd love to have the room for a 1/72 BEA Cargo version but Lord knows where I'd put it.

The last time I attempted a vacform it was a Fairy Fulmar, can't remember who produced it, about 20 years ago when I first got back into modelling - there was no injection version available then. Made a right mess of it and had to scrap it. Still got the canopy in my spares box as I'm sure I'll need it one day! The main thing I remember was that the plastic was incredibly thin which led to its downfall so perhaps if the plastic on Welshmodels is a bit thicker I might not make such a pigs ear of it!

The last time I attempted a vacform it was a Fairy Fulmar, can't remember who produced it, about 20 years ago when I first got back into modelling - there was no injection version available then. Made a right mess of it and had to scrap it. Still got the canopy in my spares box as I'm sure I'll need it one day! The main thing I remember was that the plastic was incredibly thin which led to its downfall so perhaps if the plastic on Welshmodels is a bit thicker I might not make such a pigs ear of it!

The fairey Fulmer was made by Rareplanes, probably one of the best Vacform producers, sadly no longer around, Welshmodel kits are quite thick plastic and most of their kits have resin wings and engines

If , like me, you aren't keen on vac forms , you might like to try & get hold of the Eastern Express Bristol Brittania. It's the only injection moulded kit produced ( to my knowledge) It is however to 1/96 scale. By current standards, it's pretty basic but, a bit of T L C will get you a decent model. The last time I saw one, it was in Cubana markings. If I can get hold of another one, I'll build it as an RAF C1. Yes, even I know its the short fuselage series 100 version ( not used by the RAF!!) but, I don't care. Nobody that sees it will be any the wiser!! :lol:

I think the mere fact that it is relatively unknown ( outside the UK anyway) type, will ensure we never see a decent 1/72 mass produced kit.

The fairey Fulmer was made by Rareplanes, probably one of the best Vacform producers, sadly no longer around, Welshmodel kits are quite thick plastic and most of their kits have resin wings and engines

Yes, I think it was Rareplanes. Always a pity when a producer disappears. I bought and built the Merlin Models kit of the Fulmar after that. Horrid! That got scrapped too. Eventually Vista produced their nice kit of the type which I think Airfix has re-released. Good kit.

I wonder if S&M kits will consider a Britannia. They're Viscount isn't too bad. Bit pricey though.

If , like me, you aren't keen on vac forms , you might like to try & get hold of the Eastern Express Bristol Brittania. It's the only injection moulded kit produced ( to my knowledge) It is however to 1/96 scale. By current standards, it's pretty basic but, a bit of T L C will get you a decent model. The last time I saw one, it was in Cubana markings. If I can get hold of another one, I'll build it as an RAF C1. Yes, even I know its the short fuselage series 100 version ( not used by the RAF!!) but, I don't care. Nobody that sees it will be any the wiser!! :lol:

I think the mere fact that it is relatively unknown ( outside the UK anyway) type, will ensure we never see a decent 1/72 mass produced kit.

Yes, I've got it in my stash and I will also build it as a RAF C1 (not withstanding the inaccuracies) . No one will know, at least in my household. I think I'll take a deep breath and purchase the Welshmodels kit and see how I get on. As it's only the fuselage that's vacform I might manage it! I agree that it's unlikely any mainstream chaps are going to produce one but I live in hope that S&M or F-Rsin might. After all they did produce a resin HP Hermes.

Vacuforms, I've discovered, aren't as daunting as I first thought and I really enjoy building them now.

But this might help with your build, this is how it's explained in a book I have about building vacuforms.

vacuforms.jpg

Yes, I've got it in my stash and I will also build it as a RAF C1 (not withstanding the inaccuracies) . No one will know, at least in my household. I think I'll take a deep breath and purchase the Welshmodels kit and see how I get on. As it's only the fuselage that's vacform I might manage it! I agree that it's unlikely any mainstream chaps are going to produce one but I live in hope that S&M or F-Rsin might. After all they did produce a resin HP Hermes.

:D

Maybe we can compare efforts once they're done!!

second that ^

dont be afraid of vacs, and the welsh britannia is not the hardest so go get one, I'm sure they are still around, when you do, take your time and enjoy doing something different

And F-rsin just announced an injection moulded one in 1/144 for release in November.....

Happy modelling,

Ruben

www.lndecals.com

Being released in BOAC, CSA, and Aeronaves de Mexico schemes. Price 26 Euro.

Laurent will probably have them available at SMW.

Vacuforms, I've discovered, aren't as daunting as I first thought and I really enjoy building them now.

But this might help with your build, this is how it's explained in a book I have about building vacuforms.

vacuforms.jpg

That's one way, but I've found that it's difficult to ensure even sanding all round, with the part wearing more where your fingers are. Also, the excess plastic on the backing sheet means a lot more effort.

Method I use is slightly different, and is derived from the methods recommended by John Adams and the late Geoff Prentice amongst others.

For 'chunky' parts like fuselages, I draw a line round the part with a thick permanent marker pen, then carefully score round the junction between the part and the backing sheet, at a slight angle, with a new scalpel blade. You then remove the part from the sheet and have a part with the plastic to be removed clearly delineated as white against the dark of the marker. Then I use a sanding block to sand this back, moving the block round the part rather than the other way round. I find this gives me more control over the sanding process.

Wing leading edges are generally done this way (If two part wings) with the trailing edge being done in a similar way to your method, except again I move the sanding block rather than the part.

Single piece vac wings are another matter entirely!

Method I use is slightly different, and is derived from the methods recommended by John Adams and the late Geoff Prentice amongst others.

For 'chunky' parts like fuselages, I draw a line round the part with a thick permanent marker pen, then carefully score round the junction between the part and the backing sheet, at a slight angle, with a new scalpel blade. You then remove the part from the sheet and have a part with the plastic to be removed clearly delineated as white against the dark of the marker. Then I use a sanding block to sand this back, moving the block round the part rather than the other way round. I find this gives me more control over the sanding process.

Wing leading edges are generally done this way (If two part wings) with the trailing edge being done in a similar way to your method, except again I move the sanding block rather than the part.

The method I use too.

I'm sure the F-Rsin will be a good kit, but I venture the work quotient between this kit and Welsh one, there will be very little in it.

Marty...