P-47D-30 'Peggy Darlin'

I will make a start on this but my GB commitments are piling up, I need to find a good few days of free time to get stuck into them :)

As many others have chosen the Tamiya kit I thought I'd do something different and use the Tamiya kit....oh I see... ok well I'll be using this kit anyway!

p1080619.jpg

I have found some spare decals in the stash to depict a rather attractive P-47 called 'Peggy Darlin' from the 405th FG, flown by Major Richard C. Bender.

p1080620n.jpg

The only other 'extras' included in this build will be a Quickboost seat with seatbelts, basically because I'm too lazy to make some belts up myself.

p1080621u.jpg

Edited by rowmk9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok Moofles I will get on with it! :P

Here goes, I've made some progress, completing the cockpit and basically getting the airframe in a state close to the painting stage, but I'll walk through what I've done over the last week or so...

So, basic colours on the cockpit parts, then sprayed with varnish to help with the washes that are to be applied. The cockpit green of the P-47 appears to be much darker than standard interior green so maybe a product used by Republic rather than the more standard colour? I don't know. In any case I slavishly followed the Tamiya instructions and used Tamiya XF-5 Flat Green.

p1080924f.jpg

A few things have happened in this pic. The instrument panel decal has been applied, with the earlier varnish coat helping with the application over the raised IP detail. The wash has also been applied (MIG neutral I think, either that or MIG Dark!). Some scratches and wear 'n' tear has been added in the form of lightly drybrushing Citadel Mithril Silver onto the areas that will get worn, and then finally the parts have been flat varnished.

p1080930.jpg

A little closer to the resin seat (which looks cool and I'm glad I opted to replace the kit part) p1080931p.jpg

And the parts together. Tamiya fit is as usual, superb. For those that wish to, adding some wires to the back of the insturment panel where the gauges are present will really add to the model. However I was being quite lazy and passed on this.

p1080934e.jpg

Just another angle.

p1080935.jpg

The engine, with base colours applied.

p1080937j.jpg

Fuselage closed up and some other parts glued into place. Tamiya kits really are a joy to build aren't they? Quick and painless. Is it cheating or just sensible? I guess everyone has their opinion. :P

p1080941.jpg

Here the engine has been mounted onto the airframe. I've dirtied it up a bit using MIG oil and grease mixture which helps a bit. I think here some aftermarket wiring looms or extra detail wouldn't go amiss, but I'm happy enough with the kit part as I wanted to keep the cost from skyrocketing.

p1080943.jpg

And here's a bit of a jump, wings and cowling attached. The flaps are just held in place in this pic. Anyone know what was standard practice for parked P-47's, dropped or flush?

p1080945.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The group build ends inside a month so I decided it was high time that I pulled my finger out and made some progress on Peggy.

First off, the aircraft was painted overall in Mica Silver from Zero Paints.

p1090483v.jpg

Then I wanted to break up the silver a bit and add a bit of variation. So I masked off some panels and mixed some Tamiya Flat Aluminium and Gunmetal in different amounts, which was then sprayed on.

p1090484.jpg

It went a bit dark here, so I oversprayed the panel in the original mica silver to lessen the contrast.

p1090487.jpg

p1090491.jpg

And the distinctive red bands of this machine went on. Tamiya Red was used.

p1090496i.jpg

p1090506u.jpg

But after some fine polishing compound I was able to get 95% of it off. The remainder will not be noticeable once the panel washes have been used. I hope...

p1090509a.jpg

Good save on the overspray, which compound did you use?

Thanks! Tamiya Finish compound, the one that comes in the black box/tube. I didn't want to attack the silver underneath so went for the lightest one in my armoury. :)

Thanks for the kind comments!

I have made some more progress today by putting on a lot of the decals and getting the other parts like the landing gear and underwing stores ready, along with the canopy.

p1090521p.jpg

Hello, first off, what a great build! Its looking excellent right now! Second, I'm about to apply that red stripe and I'm curious on how you went about masking that off? Thanks in advance and its looking great!

Erik

Hello, first off, what a great build! Its looking excellent right now! Second, I'm about to apply that red stripe and I'm curious on how you went about masking that off? Thanks in advance and its looking great!

Erik

Hi Erik, Thank you, you are very kind.

Now, the red stripes were all done with masking tape. Do you mean the nose? If so that was done by eye with some masking tape wrapped around the cowling. I started with a thin piece of masking tape at first, no more than 2-3mm wide so it was easier to manipulate. After that its just a case of masking up the area behind as per usual.

If you mean the tail, then that was also with masking tape, but measured from a decal. 6mm wide fir the vertical stab and 7mm wide for the horizontal ones.

Hope that helps?

Hello,

I was asking about the cowling, thanks! I'm about to get to that part and just couldn't get the tape to cooperate because it was too thick, I think. I'll give a 2-4mm piece a try and see how that goes! Thanks again!

Erik

I hope it goes well for you Erik, use 2-3 pieces of the thin masking tape to get the line as straight as possible, best of luck!

Some more progress on my Jug, doing detail and other bits.

The prop

p1090543r.jpg

The 4.5in rocket launchers, just held in place for now, but they are cool :) Also the .50's have gone into the wing, I still need to drop a bit of black ink into the muzzle to give the effect of depth.

p1090551q.jpg

Other bits! The canopy, belly fuel tank, inner gear doors and wheels. I'm half way through finishing the bombs as well as I need to dirty them up a bit.

p1090549b.jpg

p1090553.jpg

Really does look lovely Rowan.

Did you use any setting solution for the decals?

Howard

Thanks Howard (and Mish)

Yes I did use setting solution, microsol to be exact. Of course before the decals was a coat of varnish (I use Zero Paints pre-thinned stuff). I still have some silvering in places, but a quick nick with a sharp modelling knife and a second application of microsol and the majority of it dissappeared.

Hi Guys,

I've finished Peggy Darlin' but before I show the completed model I'll just show the final construction pics (ooh I'm a tease).

The bombs were first painted Tamiya olive drab, then varnished, then decals were applied (as in previous construction pic). After this the bombs were dabbed with a sponge dipped in liquid masking solution to create a rough mask over the entire bomb body. Then the bomb was sprayed xtracrylix faded olive drab. The masking was removed and a rough two tone pattern was revealed. The contrast between the two layers was too stark however, so the bomb was given another light coat of regular xtracrylix olive drab. The result was this.

p1090684.jpg

After this pic was taken, the fuse was painted mithril silver from the citadel range.

Back to the main aicraft...

After decals was a quick spray of Zero paints varnish to seal them in. As with the bombs I was not happy with how dark the tamiya olive drab anti-glare panel was on the topside of the fuselage. So I remasked this area and gave it a thin coverage of xtracrylix faded olive drab. This was risky, and to my horror the masking tape did pull up a few decals, such as the national insignia and even part of the 'Peggy Darlin' nose art. After panicking a lot, I managed to tease most of the decals off the tape with a sharp knife and reapplied them with microsol. Lesson learnt!

p1090702r.jpg

After that heart stopping moment, I applied MIG dark was to the panel lines, removing it a few minutes later with some tissue dipped in MIG Thinners.

p1090710.jpg

Now after that, the final parts were glued or placed on (the drop tank and wheels just slotted on, no need for glue) and finally the aircraft panel lines were post-shaded using Tamiya X-19 Smoke. The trick with this part is to heavily thin the smoke and build the layers up slowly.

Next pics will show the completed model :)