!/48 Hurricane Fabric wings

Bo hermansen

Hallo

I am trying to bash a 1/48 Hasagawa Hurricane mk I together with MDC's Early Hurricane fabric wings

Are there anyone who has a usefull hint how to crack the 1 mm gab that will emerge in the transition area

between the Hasagawa kit part and the MDC wing, The fit is at best poorly

TIA

Bo

Edited by Bo hermansen

Are there anyone who has a usefull hint how to crack the 1 mm gab that will emerge in the transition area

between the Hasagawa kit åart and the MDC wing, The fit is at best poorly

Bo

I have not seen the set close up, but from the pics on the MDC site the wings are attched where the wings are attched on the real thing, just outboard of the gear legs. In this shot the are dark coloured. Adding these strips should cover up the gap. they are slightly proud of the wing on the real thing, not flush the Hase kit.

Also a great shot to show the oil staining and the distictive marks left on the UC doors....look at a load of hurri pics and you see this stain on the gear doors.

This also well shows the early aluminiun doped undersides. it's a Yugoslav plane on a test flight in the UK. Often reproduced but a very useful reference pic.

hurr1-10.jpg

Note also early Hurricanes had 5 spoke wheels. (the hase wheel are wrong anyway, hubs too small) Ultracast do a good set.

There are also a load of small changes that occurred from the initial production variants.

Mostly of these were option in the Classic Airframes kit, what plane were you looking at doing?

this drawing shows an initail production version, with unarmoured windscreen, lack of ventral stake and shallower rudder, 'kidney' exhausts, and lack of small rectangular access panel on starboard side. hasegawa screwed up the fabric covered panels behind the cockpit unfortunately, and this is really hard to correct.

Early Hurricanes, as shown by pics of the unrestored Finnish plane, were mostly aluminium dope inside, see here for some useful pics from Kari.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...20&start=20

hurr1-1.gif

Finally, here's a link to a walkround of the only surviving fabric wing Hurricane.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hay...cane_mk1_l1592/

Got a bit carried away, you may know all this Bo, but maybe of use to others looking in.

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Hi Troy

Thanks for the exelent info

My intend was to build a 46 Sqn Hurricane from the Norway campaign

I am doing a Hasagawa Mk I, but at the moment I am close to binning this model, the MDC wings will not fit the Hasagawa kit

without major reconstruction, plastic stripes and loads of filler, the fit is horrible, I am very close to changing this kit to a

Early BOB Mk I

The Yugo Hurricane Picture is great, It show the oil leaks on the underside, A friend of mine once said " show me a british engine that don't

leak oil, and I will show you an engine without oil" ;)

I have a great picture of a 46 Sqn Hurricane being lifted onto Glorius, and It show some of the same staining as your picture

I also have Ultracast Seat, wheel bay and 5 spoke wheels on hands

Bo

…A friend of mine once said " show me a british engine that don't

Totally OT: we once had a Seagull outboard on our rowing boat. It needed (it's true!) 12 per cent two-stroke oil in the petrol! On our excursions we left a huge cloud of blue smoke in our wake.

The Evinrude that eventually replaced it specified 2 per cent oil in the fuel…

/Joachim

• Like 1

My intend was to build a 46 Sqn Hurricane from the Norway campaign. I have a great picture of a 46 Sqn Hurricane being lifted onto Glorius, and It show some of the same staining as your picture

ah, this one.HurricaneN2543PO-Cheisesplekteren.jpg

a quick google turns up this, http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10988

Both metal- and ragwing Hurricanes were in use, but all had the DeHavilland propeller and spinner. Unfortunately a Serial/Code correlation has proved very difficult and only a few are known. We do have all the serials though.

I think this is fabric winged. the position of the landing lights is the best indicator, they are a bay further out on the metal wing compared to the fabric wing.

shurr-1.jpg

compared to

hurr1-10.jpg

I am doing a Hasagawa Mk I, but at the moment I am close to binning this model, the MDC wings will not fit the Hasagawa kit

without major reconstruction, plastic stripes and loads of filler, the fit is horrible, I am very close to changing this kit to a

Early BOB Mk I

If you don't want it, don't bin it, sell it too me!!!

bear in mind that the first 600 Hurricanes were fabric winged, but there was a lot attrition in 1940, IIRC the RAF lost 447 Hurricanes in France alone. They were also re-fitted with metal wings as they became available.

The Yugo Hurricane Picture is great, It show the oil leaks on the underside, A friend of mine once said " show me a british engine that don't

yep! The cause of the stains on the UC doors is not always understood.

I also have Ultracast Seat, wheel bay and 5 spoke wheels on hands

They help :)

cheers

T

Gee thanks Troy

Great pics, the one showing PO-C and PO-M at Bardufoss puts another nail

in the "46 Sqn Hurricanes repainted skygrey in Bardufoss" coffin

I have not decided what to do, my building philosofi is "Life's to short for crappy models"

The MDC kit come in that catagory, nice to know that I don't need to throw it out

I was also under the impression that all 46 sqn had "Rag" wings, PO-C had, thats pretty sure

Bo

ah, this one.HurricaneN2543PO-Cheisesplekteren.jpg

a quick google turns up this, http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10988

I think this is fabric winged. the position of the landing lights is the best indicator, they are a bay further out on the metal wing compared to the fabric wing.

shurr-1.jpg

compared to

hurr1-10.jpg

If you don't want it, don't bin it, sell it too me!!!

bear in mind that the first 600 Hurricanes were fabric winged, but there was a lot attrition in 1940, IIRC the RAF lost 447 Hurricanes in France alone. They were also re-fitted with metal wings as they became available.

yep! The cause of the stains on the UC doors is not always understood.

They help :)

cheers

T

Here is a picture of the one in the Science Museum, London, and I believe it is as was when operational - no restoration.

Hi David

I thought the same thing, but in one of those Polish monographs there is this picture.

L1592 on display in Horse Guards Parade, London, 1950.

HurricaneL1952in1950HorseGuardsparade-3.jpg

IIRC L1952 went to Training Command and then was earmarked for preservation.

I presume these are the traning command colours, note sky band, C-type roundels and what i presume is the Day Fighter Scheme, not the dark undersides compared to the sky band.

later restored to BoB standard by Hawkers at some point in the 1950's.

Probably worth a thread on it's own.

Cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Well I just got "Lucky", got my hand on a Classic airframe, all though I had to bleed

through my nose to get it

So the MDC wings is binned, the Hurricane will be a BOB version

Looking forward to the CA version, it get great reviews

Bo

Gee thanks Troy

Great pics, the one showing PO-C and PO-M at Bardufoss puts another nail

in the "46 Sqn Hurricanes repainted skygrey in Bardufoss" coffin

I have not decided what to do, my building philosofi is "Life's to short for crappy models"

The MDC kit come in that catagory, nice to know that I don't need to throw it out

I was also under the impression that all 46 sqn had "Rag" wings, PO-C had, thats pretty sure

Bo

Ahhhhhhh! 46 Sqn. Huuris from Bardufoss! One of my favorite subjects.

Done some research on this squadron and its operations from Bardufoss during May and June 1940. Wrote an article in the Norwegian quarterly Flyhistorie some years back.

And yes. There is no evidence suggesting that the "arctic scheme" was ever used on the Hurricanes, or the Gladiators belonging to 263 Squadron.

Three of the Hurricanes used by the squadron was in the P-serial range. P2632, P2633 and P2652. With a fairly degree of certainty metal wings. Ref. pic of P2652/PO-T (left at Bardufoss).

HawkerHurricaneMkIP2652PO-Tsmall.jpg

My colour profile of P2652.

Hurricane-Mk-I-P2652-PO-T.gif

The Hurricane being loaded on to the barge is N2543 (left at Bardufoss). This was the only aircraft in the sqaudron with a gun camera (Ref. squadron ORB). It was usual F/Lt. Pat Jamesons aircraft. Could the letter be J- for Jameson? Squadron Leader Cross had P2632 as his usual aircraft. In a letter to a friend of mine he wrote that his aircraft was coded X (Cross-X).

Standing on the barge is L1793/PO- (no letter).

It's my view that you can build a 46 Squadron Hurricane Mk. I using the Hasegawa kit. Only have to swap the propeller with a de Havilland unit and possibly change the whhels to five-spoke units.

Classics Mk. I with fabric wings needs the five spoke wheels and a wind shield of the early type. The one supplied in the kit has not the correct shape.

Have a peek at this very nice 46 Sqn. Hurricane built by one of the members of IPMS Norway in the link below.

http://www.ipmsnorge.org/forum/index.php?topic=11057.90

All the best,

Bengt

Bodo, Norway

• Like 1

Wow great pics Bengt

Very interresting, I was under the impression that all 46 Sqn Hurricanes had Fabric wings

I was doing a 1/48 Hasagawa Hurricane with MDC wings, but the fit is sooooooo poorly that I have binned them

I am now waiting for a Classic airframe kits I bought

Do you have a suggestion to where I can get the Squadron codes, I have the Montex set with codes for PO-N

How about radio antenna, the fabric wings had the early straight version and metal wings had the later version ??

Bo

Hi Bo.

I'm building both the Hasegawa and the Classic Airframes kits and I'm going to make masks for painting the codes . Havent found any decals with the proportions right.

I think you're right about the antenna mast. The fabric wing machines with the old, straight type. Metall winged machines with the later, tapered mast.

Bengt

Hi Bengt

Ok, I am planning on PO-C, I think I can re-use the "O" to make the "C"

Glad you agree with my antenna Guess work

Do you have a copy of the article you wrote from the IPMS Norway magazine "Limtuben" ?

Bo

Hi Bo.

I'm building both the Hasegawa and the Classic Airframes kits and I'm going to make masks for painting the codes . Havent found any decals with the proportions right.

I think you're right about the antenna mast. The fabric wing machines with the old, straight type. Metall winged machines with the later, tapered mast.

Bengt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi - this is my first post here. I've been modelling 1/16 tanks on and off for about 11 years but now it's time to return to aircraft. The reason being that a great uncle of mine was lost on the Glorious. I therefore want to model a 46 Squadron Hurricane. The particular one I want to model is that of Kenneth Cross, as I recently purchased a first day cover signed by him and Major Partridge. My plan is to model it landing back on board the Glorious. So I've had to take in a lot of information on a new subject. Am I right in thinking (after I'd read this thread) that to model his Hurricane, the code would be PO-X and the serial P2632? Am I also right in thinking that in all probability it had metal wings? In a way I hope so, as I live just a couple of hours from Vassincourt and also want to model a No 1 Squadron fabric winged two-blader and it would be nice not to have to build the same type twice. Next question, I had decided on the 1/48 Italeri kit as it seems a very nice kit for the money. It was mentioned here that the Hasgawa kit is a good start for a 46 Sqn Hurricane. I know about the strange thing Hasegawa did with the wing join and the ribbing on the access panel and I know there is a problem with the gun ports on the Italeri kit, but this seems an easier fix with after market parts. I'm open to advice on both kits. Also the MDC fabric wing kit didn't seem to get a good report here but I'll need something like it for the Vassincourt project later. Is it really awful, of fixable with filler etc.? Can you point me to any examples of finished kits fitted with this conversion? Lots of questions. Thanks for your time.

Hi - this is my first post here. I've been modelling 1/16 tanks on and off for about 11 years but now it's time to return to aircraft. The reason being that a great uncle of mine was lost on the Glorious. I therefore want to model a 46 Squadron Hurricane. The particular one I want to model is that of Kenneth Cross, as I recently purchased a first day cover signed by him and Major Partridge. My plan is to model it landing back on board the Glorious. So I've had to take in a lot of information on a new subject. Am I right in thinking (after I'd read this thread) that to model his Hurricane, the code would be PO-X and the serial P2632? Am I also right in thinking that in all probability it had metal wings? In a way I hope so, as I live just a couple of hours from Vassincourt and also want to model a No 1 Squadron fabric winged two-blader and it would be nice not to have to build the same type twice. Next question, I had decided on the 1/48 Italeri kit as it seems a very nice kit for the money. It was mentioned here that the Hasgawa kit is a good start for a 46 Sqn Hurricane. I know about the strange thing Hasegawa did with the wing join and the ribbing on the access panel and I know there is a problem with the gun ports on the Italeri kit, but this seems an easier fix with after market parts. I'm open to advice on both kits. Also the MDC fabric wing kit didn't seem to get a good report here but I'll need something like it for the Vassincourt project later. Is it really awful, of fixable with filler etc.? Can you point me to any examples of finished kits fitted with this conversion? Lots of questions. Thanks for your time.

Crikey S

Lots of questions.

Right, how picky are you about Hurricanes? The Italeri kit is full of silly errors, most easy to correct with a little modelling skill or replacement parts. Though for an early P series you are going to want a DeHavilland prop, and the Italeri one is essentially unfixable.

I can point you in the direction of a list, or is ignorance bliss?

As for fabric winged options in 1/48th

well, this thread should help

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234938125-hurricane-question/

note this link in post 6 as well

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934849-classic-airframes-hurricane-worth-getting/

If you are not set on 1/48th there is a new 1/72nd kit due from Airfix.

feeel free to refine questions and ask more, but the above shoud give you some pointers.

HTH

T

Just noticed this thread and one thing that hit me when reading it was the photo of the Hurricane in the hoist showing the under side colouring. The staining on the underside of the starboard wing at what appears to be the gun shell case ejection ports is quite incredible - its mucky! I wonder if you weathered a model that much if it would be criticised for being over the top?

Hi Troy - thanks for the reply. In truth, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as you and the other members on this site, so for instance I'm not able to notice at this stage whether the curve of a Hurricane nose is slightly wrong or it scales up to an inch short etc. I would never have realised that the Hasegawa fuselage panel ribs were wrong. So from that point of view I'm not picky. But I'm after a good quality model with plenty of detail. I've done so much scratch building over the years that I've got a bit lazy and wouldn't mind an easy build this time around. Of course I'm happy filling, filing etc and fettling any aftermarket parts but I'm not looking to scribe panels etc. I'd prefer to stick with 1/48 as it seems a nice scale to work in and I haven't got a huge house! Also there will be an 1/48 Tamiya Swordfish from the Glorious some time in the future so it will match nicely. It might be nice to know the faults with the Italeri kit if it isn't too time consuming, then I can decide if I can live with some of them. Thanks for all the links, I'll have a read through.

• 5 months later...

I was doing a 1/48 Hasagawa Hurricane with MDC wings, but the fit is sooooooo poorly that I have binned them

I am now waiting for a Classic airframe kits I bought

Ye Gods and little fish! I've just got the MDC wing for my Hasegawa Hurricane (Telford,last month). Looks like I have to retreat to the "last ditch" and reconsider this project!

Bo, can you let me know any details of the fit problem you encountered? TIA for any information!

Cheers,

Gary