RAF Harrier Colours

Bobski

No, it's not a follow up to my Sea Harrier post - I think I've got that colour problem sorted.

I've got some recent photos of RAF GR.9 Harriers and they seem to be painted in a new all-over grey, rather than the two-tone grey they used to carry. Does anyone have any info on this, ie what shade it is and when the aircraft started wearing it? I've got two GR.7s in the works that are going to be started when I get the Lucy and Michelle decals and I want to make sure I get the colours right. Were these two in the old or the new colours when they were in Afghanistan?

I think the aircraft started wearing it when they began the Gr9/T12 upgrades, although I think the first Gr9 upgrades are still in the two-tone grey scheme.

Have a look at this T12 thread over on UKAR. I really don't like the look of the aircraft that colour!

I don't think the aircraft with the Lucy and Michelle artwork wore this all over lighter grey, although you'll want someone else to confirm or disprove that first!

Edited by J35 Draken

Right Then

Try this!

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A ZD404, ‘33A’, ‘Lucy’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

Lo-Viz Air Superiority scheme of BS381C:638 Satin Dark Sea Grey uppersurfaces over BS381C:629 Satin Dark Camouflage Gray undersides.

The ‘Lucy’ noseart was applied after a morale boosting visit by two ‘Page Three’ Glamour models, Lucy Pinder and Michelle Marsh.

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A, ZD404, ‘49A’, ‘Michelle’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

Lo-Viz Air Superiority scheme of BS381C:638 Satin Dark Sea Grey uppersurfaces over BS381C:629 Satin Dark Camouflage Gray undersides.

The ‘Michelle’ noseart was applied after a morale boosting visit by two ‘Page Three’ Glamour models, Lucy Pinder and Michelle Marsh.

Instruction Sheet before the decal set is out!

MA-7248158WaronTerrorInst2.jpg

Jon

Right Then

Try this!

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A ZD404, ‘33A’, ‘Lucy’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

The ‘Lucy’ noseart was applied after a morale boosting visit by two ‘Page Three’ Glamour models, Lucy Pinder and Michelle Marsh.

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A, ZD404, ‘49A’, ‘Michelle’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

The ‘Michelle’ noseart was applied after a morale boosting visit by two ‘Page Three’ Glamour models, Lucy Pinder and Michelle Marsh.

Jon

Have highlighted something to correct before it goes to print then! ;)

Don't get me wrong - I love model Alliance Decals (can produce a vast stack of instruction books if you don't believe me!) but at times the instruction sheets contain errors typical of a 'cut and paste' way of presenting duplicate information, such as that above, or erroneous colour call outs which could be corrected easily. Only think that lets the instructions down as otherwise they're great!

Right Then

Try this!

Jon

:redx:

Stephen

Have highlighted something to correct before it goes to print then! ;)

Don't get me wrong - I love model Alliance Decals (can produce a vast stack of instruction books if you don't believe me!) but at times the instruction sheets contain errors typical of a 'cut and paste' way of presenting duplicate information, such as that above, or erroneous colour call outs which could be corrected easily. Only think that lets the instructions down as otherwise they're great!

This is where Jon throws himself out the window :whistle:

Try this...Pt2

Luckily this sheet is still on my H-Drive so changes can be made, thanks for spotting!

MA-7248158WaronTerrorInst2-1.jpg

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A, ZD437, ‘49A’, ‘Michelle’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

Jon

Try this...Pt2

Luckily this sheet is still on my H-Drive so changes can be made, thanks for spotting!

MA-7248158WaronTerrorInst2-1.jpg

BAE Systems Harrier GR.7A, ZD437, ‘49A’, ‘Michelle’ of 1 Squadron, RAF based at RAF Cottesmore but detached to Har Det based at Kandahar, Afghanistan, 2007.

Jon

:redx:

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

It is beleived the new colour is Medium Sea Grey, so it is related to your Sea Harrier!!

Light Sea Grey ws mentioned in passing by one source, but that was empirical I beleive

I think the Light Sea Grey may have been a mis-reading of MSG, which is what I've been quoted from several sources at Cottismore, but I am hoping to get official gen in the new year regarding the updated Harrier schemes.

FWIW, the Nimrod R.1 fleet is apparently now changing over to overall Camouflage Grey as per the the MR.1 and 4 fleet.

I think the Light Sea Grey may have been a mis-reading of MSG, which is what I've been quoted from several sources at Cottismore, but I am hoping to get official gen in the new year regarding the updated Harrier schemes.

Well I dunno Jonathan - the more I look at the "new" overall scheme (and only in photo's I hasten to add!) the more I think it looks a differnt colour to both Camo/Barley and MSG...

Look forward to getting the official word on the matter - could be interesting......Oh and BTW, I'm still playing with my "Arctic Harrier GR7" can you re-send the camo drawings please - I downloaded it on my old computer! No rush I shan't be painting until after Christmas.

cheers!