USS Nicholas FFG-47 vs Somali Pirates

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't know this event took place!

Cracking story and the way you have captured it is superb.

The model is awesome sir, you should be justifiably proud of it.

Well done. :goodjob:

Only just seen this so thanks for boosting it to the top.Ā  Great model - I especially love the way you've done the wake on the ship's RIB.

Ā 

It reminded me very much of a night in the Malacca Straits in HMS GLASGOW in 1999.Ā  I was sat on the bridge while my OOW navigated her way down through all of the merchant shipping in the traffic separation scheme when we noticed a fast moving contact come off the Indonesian coast doing about 25-30 kts.Ā  No navigation lights were being shown and we tracked it as it approached the tanker about a mile ahead of us. where it slowed down and paralleled the tanker's course and speed.Ā  I instructed my OOW to increase speed and pull up alongside.Ā  We were fully darkened apart from nav lights although we did have upper deck floodlights rigged to show the 4.5 inch gun, Sea Dart missile and Phalanx.Ā  As we got closer we could see on the IR cameras it was quite a large go fast with about 6 people on board.Ā Ā Ā  They started to move across towards us and I then ordered the floodlights be turned on.Ā  You have never seen a boat move so quickly!Ā  They were clearly planning something and although unlike the NICHOLAS we weren't able to make any arrests, in my mind we certainly stopped an act of piracy.

• Like 6

Gidday Alan, I didn't know about this (incident and model) either, it was way before my time on Britmodeler. A real David and Goliath story, I'm glad Goliath won. And like Chewbacca I like the wake of the RIB also, along with the rest of the diorama. I thought the funny story of the surrender to three teenage pirates hilarious. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Only just seen this so thanks for boosting it to the top.Ā  Great model - I especially love the way you've done the wake on the ship's RIB.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

There are some real gems hidden away in the Britmodeller archives - a few more should get bumped I reckon! šŸ‘

Thanks for mentioning that - if I hadn't lost my entire Britmodeller archive to the Ph0t0bucket hostage crisis it probably would have remained buried forever šŸ˜‚

• Like 1