Nice find

dylan the rabbit

Well, the Imperial War Museum restored it, so I guess one of their sites.. Hendon probably?

Love this quote:

"It is thought that the DH9 will be far more successful as a museum exhibit than it was as a bomber. During the war many had to ditch behind enemy lines because of engine failure."

Champion..

What was the name of the book?

Cheers,

It was simply "Hurricane R4118" by Peter Vacher who was the chap that found it, now restored to flying condition. From the pics that I've seen it looks very authentic although I haven't seen in it in the "flesh" so-to-speak.

Amazing :D Imagine finding something like this under your floorboards :D

Purely out of interest, any reason why the government doesn't keep plans of aircraft? I thought they'd have a big filing cabinet in which all the plans for aircraft go...just incase.

Great find!

Purely out of interest, any reason why the government doesn't keep plans of aircraft? I thought they'd have a big filing cabinet in which all the plans for aircraft go...just incase.

That would involve foresight, something which successive governments have proven themselves incapable of... <_<

That would involve foresight, something which successive governments have proven themselves incapable of... <_<

Curiously not quite the case. The Maritime Museum in Greenwich has a Draught Room (actually a Building) containing plans of ships going back to the 17th Century to the present day (some classified still) - and some are simply beautiful - imagine however the 1:48 drawings of a battleship - yes 1:48 scale - stretxhed for miles-the draughtsman must have walked miles himself during preparing the same. Imagine the same thing however for aircraft.

I know because I worked there as a volunteer for a while - until sacked!!!

David.

I know because I worked there as a volunteer for a while - until sacked!!!

Ooooh, whatever it was you did, it must have been bad to warrant sacking a volunteer! :lol:

• 1 month later...

My sister has an amazing story, quite surreal actually, and it happened a few weeks ago...

She's a student at Princeton University. The university has an estate for married couples, which used to be an army camp, made up small wooden bungalows (I suspect it was officers quarters). Anyway, under my sisters house, which is slightly raised off the ground, was a locked area. As the university needed to carry out renovations, they broke into this area under the house. What they found there astouned them, and is quite surreal:

Two helicopter engines, from the 1940's, which the army, apparently, has been looking for, for the past 60 years! At first they were thought to be bombs, so the army disposal team were brought in. The engines are now at the Smithsonian.