YF-100

John R

North American YF-100 Super Sabre prototype

YF100.jpg

I had hoped to have this finished by now but somehow life got in the way!

It started life as a partially built ESCI F100D left at the club last month

Modifications include :

Re-profiled fin with a strange, and so far unidentified, thing on top

Removal of the inner wing extensions and flap lines and re-scribing ailerons

Removal of what looked like strengthening plates under the wing

Addition of the upper nose probe.

Reduction of the wingspan

The extreme rear end is also significantly different to production types and requires fabrication of a new exhaust ring.

The worst moment came quite late on when the forward undercarriage bay became loose and fell inside the fuselage. Fortunately the fuselage was sufficiently empty to enable it to be extracted via the hole for the afterburner ring. After cleaning up it was possible to re-insert via the gear bay hole but holding it in place whilst re-glueing provided some considerable amusement!

One interesting item is that this kit, by ESCI, is supposed to be one of the most accurate but the intake shape is wrong. It appears to be a perfect ellipse whereas the actual shape is not. I do not feel up to trying to correct it.

I am wondering what paint to use for the upper surface panels of the wing which are not polished metal. Any advice would be appreciated.

I wondered if the YF-100 logo appeared on both sides of the nose but all the photos I have seen show it on only the right side. Some photos show FW 754 on the left but a poor quality first flight photo appears to show neither.

Ah, the joys of research!

John Rieley

Edited by John R

John, nice choice of subject...I would use Alclads throughout as they provide the tones you require, as for the upper surfaces of the wing, slooking at this photo I would use Alclads semi matt aluminium which gives a nice grey/silver finish surrounded by their chrome or stainless steel , (undercoated in gloss black), or even kitchen fioil or if you can afford it Bare Metal foil which is what I tend to use for these areas. It seems that the prototype had several variants of the nose pitot fitted, one above, one below or as in this shot with one short above and long below....it all depends on what period of the aircrafts development you intend to model,

Hope this helps,

Cheers, :cheers:

Melchie...

yf100_01.jpg

Hi John

It would have been built at least 26 years ago (the original builder, my dad, died in '85) and was gathering dust in my mums loft. Glad to see you making good use of it, sure beats binning it

All the best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Progress - but slow and now I need more help - please

YF100painted.jpg

I was about to add the 'USAF' decals supplied with the kit but realised that they used a different font so it looks as if they will have to be home made.

Does anybody know what colour was used - black or dark blue (Insignia blue)? The same goes for the colours of all the other markings.

Also the top of the fin appears to be a lighter colour. Was it a different shade of metal or was it some kind of resin like they used on radomes?

John

Edited by John R

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good looking airplane!

I am looking to convert (revert?) an Italeri 1/72 F-100D into an F-100A so I too will need to alter the tail height and wings.

May be a silly question but how did you shorten the wingspan and tail and by how much? I am guessing that the A version had the same wings as the YF-100 but i hope some one here may know more details?

I love the look of your metal skinning!!

The wingspan for the YF 100 is given as 36ft 7in which translates to 6.1in at 1/72 so I shortened the wings to this.

The only data I could find about the fin was this photo from X-fighters by Steve Pace.

I also used it to make the YF 100 decal

Sideview.jpg

What I found was that all I needed to do was remove the rudder of the F100D and carve the fin to make it an aerodynamic section.

I think the height needed adjustment and the 'thing' ( fuel vent?) on top needed adding.

The length of the nose probe was estimated from another photo

The final result is here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78710

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more. Have fun!

John