124 Ruslan to 225 Mriya?

jacksdad

I'm not sure if we have many cargo guys here, but I thought I might ask anyway.

How involved would it be to make an Antonov An-225 from an Antonov An-124?

Is it just a case of stretching the fuselage and wing's and scratching the tail planes?

Just wondering how feasible it would be.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Edited by jacksdad64

Thanks Andy. It was those photo's that got me thinking.

Unfortunately it does not have a WIP to show where the extensions are. Although the wing one is fairly obvious.

Then I would need to get markings..................

I know Amodel are supposed to be doing on, but that will be quite pricey.

Steve

Well.....I have been looking at this and

before the wing, aft of the wing needs extending, add a pair of engines and widen the wing span, alter the rear as the 225 doesnt have a ramp.

Is it do-able?

yes, but Im tinking you will need 2 kits to do it careful cutting will alow you the extra fuselage length, a pair of engines from the second kit, and the extra wing span can be made from the second set of wings. When I overlaid the 124 and 225 plans it looked like parts of the 124 can be modified to make the 225 parts (vertical tails, UC etc)

I will do it when i get a pair of 124s cheap, and I will possibly make the conversion available as a resin kit if I can find a caster.

Don't forget - you will also need 2 X extra sets of wheels.

The An-124 has 5 pairs, the An-225 has 7.

Some great downloadable drawings of the An-124 here and here

Not so detailed An-225 drawings here

Have fun !!!

I've got my 5 X 1:72 scale tanks to park in front of the An-225 - ready for when Amodel do one..... :pray:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Now that will be an excellent and interesting project. But I am not skilled enough to do that yet. But I ordered the Revell An-124 kit recently... Eagerly waiting and I will follow your threat if you decide teo take the plunge

Don't forget - you will also need 2 X extra sets of wheels.

The An-124 has 5 pairs, the An-225 has 7.

Some great downloadable drawings of the An-124 here and here

Not so detailed An-225 drawings here

Have fun !!!

I've got my 5 X 1:72 scale tanks to park in front of the An-225 - ready for when Amodel do one..... :pray:

Ken

Thanks Ken. I managed to find those drawings while doing a google.

I, also, thought of getting five T-80's as per THAT photo.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I am waiting for an An-124 to arrive from Ant Phillips, which I will be doing as a standard Ruslan with the front and back open.

I have also ordered two from my local Modelzone for the Mriya.

I have emailed Paul to see if he can do the decals for me and how much. However, I am also wondering if there is anywhere else that may do them.

Can anyone help?

I plan on starting these fairly soon and will be doing them side by side.

Any help will be most helpful.

Steve

p.s. Now where did I put that hacksaw?

At the moment I am waiting for an An-124 to arrive from Ant Phillips, which I will be doing as a standard Ruslan with the front and back open.

I have also ordered two from my local Modelzone for the Mriya.

I have emailed Paul to see if he can do the decals for me and how much. However, I am also wondering if there is anywhere else that may do them.

Can anyone help?

Steve

p.s. Now where did I put that hacksaw?

Steve - that's insane modelling! Can't wait to see your talents unleashed! :popcorn:

Andy

Steve,

Great project - I will follow it with interest...

I took a few 'walkround' photos of the An-225 at Gostomel, Kiev in 2006 - I can put them up on my website if you need???

As for the An-124 - remember to keep it well fed.....

day1_015.JPG

.... chomp, chomp, mmmm yummy these humans....

Ken

there you are then ^

so get on with it :) .....keeping us waiting like this.....honestly.....some people......

Alright, alright.

The first An-124 arrived today. This one will be build as the Ruslan, but it means I can start the planning proper, such as where the cuts are to be e.t.c. I can also get the proper measurements for Paul to do me some decals.

I think what I need to do is start a proper WIP to show this from the planning stage so that you can see how I go about it. I think I'll do the Ruslan in the background of the same WIP.

Anyhoo, off to watch the rest of the football. :footy: My team :pope::drink: is playing tonight and are getting beat at the moment (again) :raincloud:

And how on earth do you propose to get this one along to club nights?! Not my bag, but I'll be watching anyway coz this looks an immense project.

Mark.

Just checked the measurements of each and there is only a 15m increase in length and wingspan. That's only 10.4cm extra on a 1/144 kit.

Should be a hoot, though. :mental:

Steve

Hi,

This conversion was once done by a member of IPMS Netherlands. (for photos see www.ipms.nl /nats2008/report08-1.html).

In 2009 there was a 4 page article in the dutch IPMS magaine (in dutch) covering the conversion.

If you are interested I can sent you the magazine (if you cover the postage costs from the Netherlands). Drop me a pm if you are interested.

Regards,

Peter