F-15 differences

c.smith10

any chance they would be the same as you get in a revell F-15E??

No, the F-15E gear was beefed up for the higher weights of the attack version with wider tyres and redesigned hub/brakes.

The Modern Eagle guide states that the same hub/wheel was used on all fighter versions A/B/C & D.

Like what has been said above- the cockpit displays & antenna are the main changes between the A & C.

Later in the aircrafts life the C model went though a MSIP, which added a few small changes to the airframe. The AIM-120 was added with new Launch rails, Antenna where changed, a GPS dome was added and scab plates added to various areas of the aircraft.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

No, the F-15E gear was beefed up for the higher weights of the attack version with a wider tyres and redesigned hub/brakes.

The Modern Eagle guide states that the same hub/wheel was used on all fighter versions A/B/C & D.

Shaun.

cheers shaun, i thought had read somewhere that the revell E wheels were to narrow and needed to be shimmed to be truly representative

cheers shaun, i thought had read somewhere that the revell E wheels were to narrow and needed to be shimmed to be truly representative

That is correct, but the hub detail is incorrect for a fighter Eagle.

Shaun.

For modelling purposes, the above is true. In reality the C model is also heavier than an A model. Having worked on all models up to E, the A still is probably my favorite.

Edited by jynski

My copy is currently packed away, but I don't know why it would say that, since the main wheel hub was totally different on A/B vs. C/D Eagles. That's one of the main external visual differences between them.

WheelProtoypesTx1.jpg

F-15A/B:

F-15A_011.JPG

F-15C/D:

f-15c_80-0035_41_of_41.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

well i've managed to score a hasegawa F-15A from ebay for £13 posted so i'll see what turns up in the box and go from there, does the E use a diffent hub design from the A/B and C/D?

What's in the box is an F-15C. That's the only thing it's ever been, no matter what the box says.

Yes, the F-15E is pretty much different in just about every way from the A through D, including the wheels.

No, the F-15E gear was beefed up for the higher weights of the attack version with wider tyres and redesigned hub/brakes.

Yes, the F-15E wheels and gear are beefed up. The main and nose wheel assemblies are wider. The E main wheels are also slip ring, not tie bolt wheels. The Strike Eagle uses the same size wider NLG and MLG tires as the Raptor BTW.

Shaun.

True for to some degree, but the F-15As came production with the early spoke-like main wheels. Many flew on with these wheels (depicted in my photo linked earlier) into the earl 90s. Most F-15A/B were retrofitted with the C/D type wheels throughout the 80s and 90s.

The 48th Revell E wheels are not only too thin, but not all that accurate in the Hub detail. There’re in need of a accurate replacement. The Revell 32nd scale wheels are even worse and way under scaled.

Credit where it is due;

These are our new line of 32nd F-16 and F-15 wheels due out in the Fall; all new tool are designed from the real wheel details and cross sections. All of these wheels will also be available in 48th scale.

WheelProtoypesTx1.jpg

Mike Valdez

Sierra Hotel Models

Another small detail to look out for is tail hook cover fairing.

On early F-15's it extended between the exhausts to cover the the hook, but it was removed on the late aircraft exposing the last few inches of the hook.

The Hasegawa kit has the extended fairing, so needs removing for a later Eagle.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

The fairing behind the airbrake is also different from A and C Eagles. On the A, it looks generally Y-shaped, but the C has a roughly square-bottomed U-shape. There were also some earier configurations of the airbrake depending on how far back you want to go.

Jens

The fairing behind the airbrake is also different from A and C Eagles. On the A, it looks generally Y-shaped, but the C has a roughly square-bottomed U-shape. There were also some earier configurations of the airbrake depending on how far back you want to go.

Jens

if this is the area that you are taking about then this...

IMG_0260.jpg

is what hasegawa have moulded, but by your discription it should look like this...

F-15topview.jpg

?

if this is the area that you are taking about then this...

IMG_0260.jpg

is what hasegawa have moulded, but by your discription it should look like this...

F-15topview.jpg

?

Bugger, I switched them. Sorry about that - I was going on memory here. The Y-shape is for the C, wheras the U-shape is for the A. The differences are shown on page 20 in Detail & Scale Volume 14 on the F-15 by Bert Kinzey.

Jens

so i should be good with what hase has moulded for me? i've just been looking at the colours needed for a modern F-15C and i've come up with FS-36251 for the light grey and FS-36176 for the darker colour.

i have seen the colours here but they look darker that the LN coded aircraft i want to build.

as seen here........

EBFS060911_86-0156_F-15C_USAFE.jpg

i have seen the colours but they look darker that the LN coded aircraft i want to build.

The Mod Eagle scheme is probably more variable than almost any other camo scheme since the MASK 10A scheme on the A-10 in the 1970s. It looks different in every photo you see. I surely wouldn't go with straight FS matches, as it will look like a black hole (well, a very dark grey hole).