Tupolev TU-16 K-10-26 Badger C

Wow. Bitchin Badger, Andy!!

Somehow you have a knack for generating great outdoor photography. Looking forward to the Blinder. And all the mods going into it. A lot like the B-58, but i think remembered less fondly, LOL

if you mastered the logistical challenges of the Bounder and the Blackjack, could a TU-95 be too far off? Or, do you just want to go for broke and launch headlong into an AModel Brabazon??

Cheers,

david

Edited by David H

Thanks guys,

Keefy old chap, pull up a deck chair, break open the sarnies, crack a bottle of Tiger Bay Tequila and we'll talk about things with red stars stuck all over em!!...sounds good to me!

Tim, it's a typical Soviet case of form following function, I personally think they look really purposeful and not a little menacing.

Cheers Dave, The summer like weather helps but the fact that I live in the middle of the Lincolnshire countryside helps even more...

Looking forward to the Blinder. And all the mods going into it. A lot like the B-58, but i think remembered less fondly, LOL

It's coming along nicely and as it's my favorite Soviet cold war warrior I've spent rather a lot of time getting it right.....as for it not being remembered as fondly as the mighty Hustler, well it was a Hell of a challenge to fly and even more to keep serviceable, (same could be said to a degree about the B-58 but the Blinder lasted three times longer in service than the Hustlers ten years), I'll go into all that when I post the finished build.

Funnily enough the Bear isn't one of my faves even though it's one impressive beast, (might be the props!!), but if I could get one for the right price I might be tempted...as for the Brabazon!!!!..I would have to buy up the entire UK stock of Alclad or kitchen foil... :o

Another astoundingly good build Melchie, well done, I've also got the metallic tonal differences to do on a "Moss" soon so I'll be using Alclad II as well.

Excellent model can't wait to see your masterpieces at Telford.

Regards

Ian S

Hi Melchie,

FWIW, there was a very nice TU-95 Conversion just posted in Plastic Pix over on Hyperscale. My friend Steve Bakke built the Trumpeter TU-95 in 1/144th scale for a friend it it looks just as impressive, believe it or not.

Ironic what you say about the propellers; its the one thing i think i'm really good at. So much so, i was going to write an article, just about painting Propellers.

"Totally Screwed"

No, i'm not making this up. IIRC Roy Sutherland did a set of aftermarket Resin propellers for the 72nd scale kit.

That being said, i'm glad you added a TU-16 to the mix. Sort of like the Russian B-47, but with a longer shelf life. As for the B-58, what i heard was crews loved it, everyone else hated it, and when things went bad, they went bad in a hurry. Not sure if its true, but i heard when the planes were first sent to Davis Monthan they were preserved in a 96-hour ready status and supposedly there was talk in either the Ford or Reagan administrations to re-activate the fleet but it was toooooo late.

And the Brabazon? i just KNOW the wheels are turning on THAT one.

Dirka Dirka! Muhammed Jihad!

d-infidel

Thanks guys, Ian, good luck with the mighty Moss, I've also got one in the stashski, one of the most impressive Soviet beasts ever flown , funny the Bear doesn't really do it for me and yet I love the Moss, I think it's the menacing look and comparative rarity of the real thing....gonna need a whole heap of Alclad!!! :yikes:

David al Hamid D-botim, have you been at the Sokol Blosser again !!! praps I could fly my Lancs props over to you to finish as I find them a pain. :wicked: .. As for the TU-16, yep it was contempary of the B47 and to a degree the Valiant but the Soviets had the lead on powerplant tech at the time and whereas the poor old strat had to stagger into the air after a 25 mile take off 'roll' on 6 smoke belching, overtaxed J-47's, and the Valiant on 4 old Avons, the Badger managed it with a mere 2 Mikulin RD3-Ms with a bit to spare too...(though bunging 4 into the massive M4/3M Bison didn't go so well)...mind you the fuel consumption was close to that of a Kiev class aircraft carrier !

I've also heard that the Hustlers were stored in 'ready' condition, they certainly hung around DM long enough before sadly being converted into very expensive beer cans. The early safety record of both the B-58 and Blinder was pretty abysmal, (both had horrendous low speed handling characteristics and associated sensitivity in pitch, as well as very high landing speeds), but then both were forays in to the unknown at the time....amazing fact about the Hustler was that it cost more than its own weight in gold!!...........(and the Blinder more than its weight in crates of Vladivar).......eyewatering!

I won't be doing a Brabazon...it just looks like a huge flying cross wrapped in acres of Baco foil!!

Melchamed el khazi....

Steady on !!! .... it isn't that bad....

Mind you, it would look great in Aeroflot markings!

More here

Ken

You most certainly aren't the Messiah General - You definitely are a naughty boy. As a boy in the Cotswolds (Gods country), I remember "The Brab" flying from Filton. Used to do circuits and bumps at Aston Down. I used to watch it with awe from the fence at the bottom of my Grandad's forty-acre. Unlike the B-47's and B-36's inbound to Brize, didn't even scare the horses.

And don't forget it was British, not very good British mind you, but still British all the same.

And we didn't have Baco foil in the 1940's, no lectrickery either for that matter.

Dennis

(going off-line tutting madly !!)

Now you've gone and done it !!

OK chaps, I feel suitable adminished, (bent over, trousers down and six of the best and all that), :deadhorse:

Ken that looks great!, the lecky motors are a nice touch...the finished beasty must be rather huge..,...just a shame they didn't do the other white elephant the SARO Princess instead..

Dennis, I thought the Cotswolds were the 'heart of England' and that east Humberside was 'Gods country'..(or was that Gods forsaken country..can't remember now).... you watched it drone in and out of Filton, must have been an impressive sight at that time, especially bearing in mind its vast size, my father recalls seeing it at Farnborough as it trundelled slowly down the runway towards Laffans plain...everyone held their breath as it disappeared into the dim distance and then broke into spontaneous cheering, screams of God save the King and a typically polite round of applause and breaking out of the sandwiches and bubbly, (mixed with unbridled relief) as it finally managed to stagger into the air many miles away narrowly missing trees and assorted obstacles before returning an hour later to complete its first circuit. He said it was a majestic sight and sound as its 8 centaurus engines worked overtime to keep the thing aloft.........golden days... :heart:

It certainly was British...but sadly like our weather nobody wanted it!!

And we didn't have Baco foil in the 1940's, no lectrickery either for that matter.

OK fair enough, but no electricity in the 40's!!..........................thought you said it was Gods country! :whistle:

Hi Melchie

Very nice model!

Im love this big Soviet bombers and its always a pleasure to see them reduced... in this case you show us a very very nice build!!

I have build one of this, and i have another one... but no decals... by the way what are you doing tho the rest of the decal sheet?????

Regards

Vitor Costa

Thanks guys, I'm glad you share my interest in these fascinating aircraft,

Vitor, I don't have the Badger C's decals any more, (to be honest it was a very small set, nothing special), but do have a spare set for the TU-16 K-26 Badger G. (The only things missing are the two 'excellent aircraft' motifs, circled, as I collect these for other Soviet builds).

trumpeter_tu16-decals-lg-1.jpg

If you want them just pm me your address,

Cheers,

Melchie...

General,

I've been re-reading this thread and the TU-22M build article in the magazine, the latter being very impressive particularly the use of pastels and oils on the seats. Just one question.

Why three coats of primer ?.

I ask because for decades I have only ever applied one coat of primer (following full size practice), a wet rub down with micromesh (1500 grade) followed by the top coat.

Dennis