Tupolev TU-16 K-10-26 Badger C

Thanks Dennis, Thats the total amount of times that I applied the primer. I either use Halford white or grey or Alclads excellent grey or gloss black and always decant into the airbrush so that I have a degree of control of it, (and to stop it flooding delicately detailed areas).On these larger kits I always prime over the whole thing first time then rub it all down until its almost all gone, which just leaves high spots and emphasises low areas, then reapply and using Micromesh, (generally 4000 wet) rub down again to ensure all the areas are corrected and then I thin the final coat and reapply befor eusing 13000 over the whole thing to get rid of any dustor blebs left by the sanding process to give a blemish free surface for the top coat to grab onto.

Nothing wrong with any other way of doing it, that's just my preferred way to get the best finish that I can achieve,

Melchie.

Thanks Dennis, Thats the total amount of times that I applied the primer. I either use Halford white or grey or Alclads excellent grey or gloss black and always decant into the airbrush so that I have a degree of control of it, (and to stop it flooding delicately detailed areas).On these larger kits I always prime over the whole thing first time then rub it all down until its almost all gone, which just leaves high spots and emphasises low areas, then reapply and using Micromesh, (generally 4000 wet) rub down again to ensure all the areas are corrected and then I thin the final coat and reapply befor eusing 13000 over the whole thing to get rid of any dustor blebs left by the sanding process to give a blemish free surface for the top coat to grab onto.

Nothing wrong with any other way of doing it, that's just my preferred way to get the best finish that I can achieve,

Melchie.

Thank you General, that all makes perfect sense to me although I do have a slight twinge about the 12000 grade Micromesh. But no matter.

Now thinning the final coat of primer is new and something I have not heard of before. I'll be giving all of the above a go on the Valiant and Bear currently on or very near to the bench. Your comments above only go to re-enforce an opinion I have had for some time that "priming" full sized aircraft and "priming" models, although carried out to meet the same ends, are two entirely different subjects and as the undercoat (primer) is so vital to the "look" of the final finish it is as important as the top coat itself.

Thanks again General - something to ponder on and try out..

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, :blush: sorry you're quite right I meant 8000 grade not 12000, that's more for the canopy glazing!!

The primer is indeed important as is rubbing it all down to show up the imperfections. It's amazing how many feel that it's a waste of effort and paint to take it all off again and reapply but it really does make a huge difference to the final finish.

Melchie..

I'm intrigued.

Tell me more bout this Lancaster gig. Is it just a sipmle matter of priming, cleaning up and painting the things? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Bill "Fearless" Dye has mailed me some paints. We shall see if they arrive. I might be in business. Time will tell.

Dirka Dirka! Mohammed Jihad!

d-bot

Thanks fellas,

D-Bot hamed al jihad el paso, mafi mushkila ........... it's not too bad for some reason I thought they were a little more complex than they actually were...just a case of aluminium, black and yella really... my mistake!

Paints...ah, what is 'fearless' sending you?...............super secret new formula product!...............hmmm.....interesting :wicked:

Melchadiam al flip-flop...

Thanks fellas,

D-Bot hamed al jihad el paso, mafi mushkila ........... it's not too bad for some reason I thought they were a little more complex than they actually were...just a case of aluminium, black and yella really... my mistake!

Paints...ah, what is 'fearless' sending you?...............super secret new formula product!...............hmmm.....interesting :wicked:

Melchadiam al flip-flop...

Hello Melchie,

"Fearless" has sent me some Tamiya Extra Thin Liquid Cement, Mr. Surfacer 1200, some Tamiya Gray surface primer, a lick of thinner, Interior Green, two shades of Flat Black, Flat White, Gloss Yellow, Yellow Zinc Chromate, Tamiya Flat Base and some Tamiya Thinner.

Today i learned the C10 UAV fuel can be used as paint thinner. i always suspected it could.

Have interior green drying on a Hellcat Propeller. Gonna find out today if there were any ill effects regarding adhesion, drying or crazing of the plastic. It seemed to spray all right.

Wow- a Hellcat. That's a Shock....

d-bot

I had to read that twice...you....a Hellcat, whatever next!! :jump_fire:

That's a fair package of goodies, do you have a problem of supply with Tamiya out there ?

I'm using more Tamiya paints on the TSR2 this time so it'll be interesting to see how it it pans out...

Uav fuel eh, I heard it's a pretty decent paint stripper and an effective post party 'pick me up' tonic too,

Edited by general melchett

Thanks chaps, sorry Vitor, it just keeps filling up!, I really must empty it more often......the decals should be with you soon :winkgrin: ,

Hi Andy

Thank you ;-)

A question about your model, what were the references that you used to choose the metalic "variants" (the different colors).

Do you have any good reference pic?

(as you know i will start building one reall soon :-)

Best regards

Vitor Costa

P.S. i dont know yet the marks im going to use... interelly NMF? NMF/White or Grey/White... because its hard to find good NMF photo references...

Vitor, I used these two books for reference, firstly the excellent Red Star one which covers every version going and has a great colour section and secondly the Aircraft In Action, (no108) .

2b34a3af316a3e865b29eca3dd958244image403x550.jpg

27737.jpg

Both are good for photographs and data. Otherwise have a look on Airliners.net there are usually some nice ones there. Most of the silver Badgers were in fact painted aluminium rather than left multi panelled though for some reason a lot of Badger C's and D's were nmf, (the same goes for the TU-22 Blinder).

Good luck with whichever finish you choose!,

Melchie...

Hi Andy

Thank you for the tips. I would like to build one in NMF but that is going to depend of the references that i will find. Otherwise i will build the Grey/White scheme.

Im finishing a Portuguese F-47 (P-47) that in Portugal was named of F-47, and then i will start looking for references (i have lots of walkarounds pictures, but only a few of the entire aircraft but always taken from the ground... it impossible to see the top of the aircraft.

But its a very beautiful aircraft i will have no problem choosing a good scheme for it.

Thank you once more.

Regards

Vitor Costa