Paraguayan Breda 44

Cool! The clarity's excellent, well worth a bit of fairing in.

... The only problem now is that I feel duty bound to add a bit of extra detailing to the cockpit! ...

Serves you right :tease: , that's what you get when you start wandering from the straight and narrow.

Can't wait for the interior.

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Thanks guys.

So here is the cockpit detailed up a bit. I could find no photos of the Breda's cockpit, so based things loosely on a Dragon Rapide (which in fact is pretty sparse).

The basic seat and the control column are from the kit. I've added the seat cushion, belts and other bits (including the bulkhead reinforcement), from my spares box. I wish now that I'd replaced that control column too!

P1080002.jpg

P1080003.jpg

P1080004.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that the passenger compartment is literally just a big black hole - no medical equipment, or anything else :(

Cheers

Cliff

Today's update.

The canopy is fixed in place and the first set of wings are on.

I've also started to mask the canopy - here's my first step, putting on thin strips of masking tape where the framework will be...

P1080009.jpg

Next up I'll fill in the gaps and then remove these original thin strips.

Fortunately, when operating as an air ambulance the Paraguayan Breda had some of its glazed panels (on top) painted over, which makes my life a bit easier.

Cheers

Cliff

Shaping up nicely, Cliff!

Thanks Gaz. I really want to get this finished by the GB deadline - it's a 50:50 bet at present!

Very well done, Cliff.

Good idea for the tape strips.

Is the canopy already glued at this stage?

A bit of thinning would have helped the seat's look

Easier said than done, and maybe it's because of your really close-up pics.

:)

Thanks Antoine. Yes, the canopy is fixed in place (Revell Contacta Clear) - I was very pleased when that was done without mishap!

You're right about the seat being too thick - I could easily have thinned it from the outside. Here's hoping that the impressive canopy framing distracts attention away from the seat! ;)

For the record, here's the canopy with the gaps filled..

P1080010.jpg

and here it is with the original strips removed..

P1080011.jpg

The whole thing took about 90 minutes.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Cliff

Cliff,

I'm very pleased to see the canopy for your Breda!

Cockpit got the touch of history, so to speak. But, shame on you for passenger compartment! :clap2:

Happy Christmas!

By the way, does this aircraft has something to do with DH Dragon Rapide???

Hi Antoine,

I read somewhere that the Breda was a licence built version of the DH.84 Dragon (the forerunner of the Dragon Rapide). If so, it was heavily modified by the Italians as there are a number of significant differences between the two.

Cliff,

I'm very pleased to see the canopy for your Breda!

Cockpit got the touch of history, so to speak. But, shame on you for passenger compartment!

Happy Christmas!

Thanks Splinter - time is running out for the Group Build and there was no way I that could detail the passenger compartment in time. The interior will be virtually invisible anyway, so it's not too much of a compromise! ;)

Here is the Breda with upper wings in place and everything primed.

P1080012.jpg

I've tacked the struts onto a bit of sprue to aid painting. The resin struts were OK, but several were slightly bowed - a few minutes on a flat baking tray in the oven at 110oC soon brought them back to shape. A pity that the model now smells of roast turkey though.

And here's were I am now - the first top coat is on. Tamiya Nato Black for the undersurfaces. To help with masking, I'm painting this one with darkest colours first - black, then silver, then white. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

P1080013.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

Looking good ! Maskng that cockpit must have been a nightmare !

Thanks Giorgio. The masking wasn't too much of a chore, but fitting the struts turned out to be the Devil's work!

But here it is finished, with around 6 hours to spare.

P1080014.jpg

P1080016.jpg

P1080017.jpg

P1080019.jpg

P1080018.jpg

'Thank you' to all of you who offered support (particularly with regard to the canopy)!

Cheers

Cliff

As I said above looks great, what do you use to do the rigging with between the devilish struts? I have a swordfish and some etch ones from Tamiya but have read mixed reviews about how good they are and am well impressed with how yours has turned out.

Cheers

Graham

Thank you both for the positive feedback :)

Graham, I used heat-stretched sprue for the rigging as I find this the quickest and easiest way to get a passable result. Generally no need to drill holes (and repair), and no need to worry about tensioning. Just fit it loose and pop it taught later using a smouldering cocktail stick tip. The downsides are that it can be difficult to get a consistent thickness and the little blobs of superglue would not get past a critical judge's eye - fortunately, I'm not that fussy!

Good luck with the Swordfish.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...