Dedication Memorial Model Lancaster PA179

Hi chaps just finished my first commission a Memorial Dedication to the crew of PA179 AS-A Lancaster Mk1 of 166Sqn RAF Kirmington Lincolnshire (now Humberside Int Airport).

The Aircraft was shot down with the loss of all the crew on board on Feb21/22 1945 over Germany. I have been asked to produce this memorial as I am a Warrant Officer Instructor with 866(Immingham ) ATC Sqn, and we look after the Remembrance Parade and Memorial for 166Sqn.

We will be presenting the Model to the wife of the Navigator Flt Sgt CE Miller, who will then hand it over to the Museum for 166Sqn at the Marrowbone & Cleaver Pub in Kirmington Village this Saturday 03 Sept 2011.

Any comments gratefully accepted.

Colin Maclachlan

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1417.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

DSCF1403.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

Very cool tribute. Well done.

The thing that I found most striking about the whole bombing campaign over Germany was the age of the people flying the planes. I read a book once of a guy who flew Lancaster missions during the war and the details escape me but I think when his tour was over after about 25 missions he was only 23 or something like that. Tributes like this always remind me of that. The people on that plaque were kids basically and yet they risked and gave their lives over enemy territory for something they believed in. That just always gets me.

Nice

2180(Galashiels) Sq

Very nice and an excellent tribute to several of the 55,000.

Lest We Forget.

The Ford crew bus is a nice addition that isn't usually modelled either.

Could I just mention though that you could do with shortening the outboard exhaust stains

on the upper wings.

The port and stb'd outers,well,outer exhausts were below the centre of the wing's leading edge due

to the outer panel dihedral in flight and so tended to heavily stain the underside of the wing but only

produce short small stains above.

Other than that you've done one of 166's proud.

I've always wanted to do BIII ND635/AS*M,also known as "Fransden's Frolics".

Had a good chat to Derek Bailey,an ex-166 F/E a couple of years ago at Coningsby and strangely enough,

he remembered Fransden's.

Mark

Very nice kit and a fitting tribute.

Its quite shocking the age of these guys and the fact they were still dying in large numbers right up to the end of the war when for all the best intentions the value of the area bombing was questionable.

A good book to read on this is called Tail End Charlies.

Julien

A fine tribute....

The age issue is sometimes forgotten, my main interest's is 8th AAF stuff.

Taking John D. Landers as a example with his famous P-51 Big Beautiful Doll.

He ended the war as a full Colonel in command of a Fighter Group with 14.5 + 1 damaged in the air plus 20 ground kills.......yet by VE Day was still only 24 years old!.

Also was reading a story awhile back regarding a B-24 gunner who flew 6 missions over Germany before command found out he'd lied about his age....and promptly returned the 16 year old home to the United States.

Many heart felt thanks to you all for the kind comments hope it goes down as well with the 166Sqn Veterans. As for the scale it is 1/72 it is the old Airfix kit with a lot of scratch building in the cockpit and entrance area, the decals are from Aeroscale and the Austin K6 Crew bus is from BW Models of Turriff near Aberdeen it is a white metal kit. I have had quite a few of his kits over the last couple of years and can recommend them, he does British military vehicles from WWII to 90's, the aircrew figures are from the Revell range. The paints used are Xtracrylics.

Thank you all.

Colin Maclachlan.

ps if anyone is in the vicinity of Humberside Airport on Sat 03/09/11 at 13.50pm the BBMF Lancaster will be doing a flypast over our Memorial Parade in Kirmington Village.

Well done Colin. A very thoughtful and well produced tribute.

Is it 1/72 scale? If so, whose figures are they?

Sorry Colin, just ignore me.........I've just read your previous reply.

Update for you all the reunion and Memorial went great PA474 did 3 fly pasts the last at approx 400' very very low we also had a visit from the BBMF Dakota. Weather was great blue skies and sunshine what more could you ask for. The Lancaster diorama was very well received and the Late Navigators wife Mrs Pat Pearson was very touched by the accuracy and detail. Many of the veterans commented favorably and hopefully will get some more commissions from it. So overall a great day was had by all.

Many thanks.

Colin Maclachlan