1/72 Revell Douglas C-47

Those undercarriage mods look good and that's a good idea for the lights.

I hope you don't mind if I copy some of your enhancements on to my build (that's the advantage of being behind everyone else ... I can get to see all those good ideas and use them myself :) ).

It's looking good so far.

Gary

Hi Gary. Thanks for the compliments. As for sharing hints and tips and bits and bobs, that's one of the main reasons for running or participating in a GB IMO.

Might get some paint on soon, watch this space.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Been following your build - nice job!

Liked the engines - the CSU (small lump on top of the rounded front end) I would paint satin black if I were you. I used to work on Daks and without fail they were always black. That said you may have pics which prove otherwise? but all I was ever involved with were always supplied in black.

Really like the interior detail - as well as freighters and pax Daks I was involved with a Dak in the late 80s / early 90's that had its original para interior - youve got it spot on.

Watching with interest,

Jase.

Just to prove that I haven't been shirking my C-47 duties lately, here's (really quite poor) photo proof that the colours are going on

P5120004.jpgP5120005.jpg

White is on and masked, Lt Aircraft Grey (standing in for ADC Grey) is drying. Had to use Xtracolor for the grey; sprays really nicely but let's hope it doesn't take a week to dry!

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy.

Been a bit quiet around here lately, so I thought I'd put up a couple of progress pics. It's possible that I've been distracted by other builds lately :whistle: but I haven't taken my eye off this one.

P6030001.jpgP6030004.jpg

All the overall finishes are on, so the masking has at last come off. For a change, there isn't much touching up to do. I'm going to use black decal strip to do the windscreen framing and then the U/C can go on. After that it's just all the little fiddly bits to put on and then break off again :wacko: . I might actually get this one finished in time!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I thought I'd better post something to show that I'm still here. Work on this build has all but finished; the aerials are all on (I hope) which just leaves the last little bits of touching up to do.

Also, retraction jacks have been fitted

P6170001.jpg

Finished wheel well

P6260010.jpg

and a suitable figure (from the old Airfix USAAF set) ready to stand in the doorway

P6260006.jpg

Final pictures will be done tomorrow.

Andy

gorgeous Andy! Looks like a surprisingly complicated scheme with all the masking that would have been involved, like the leading edges of the props! I also like the shading around the panels, it breaks up the wing and gives it character :)

Thanks everybody. Although she's far from perfect, I'm very pleased with the result.

gorgeous Andy! Looks like a surprisingly complicated scheme with all the masking that would have been involved, like the leading edges of the props! I also like the shading around the panels, it breaks up the wing and gives it character :)

There was quite a lot of masking but I actually managed to get away without lifting any paint this time, so I must be getting better. As far as the shading goes, I would have liked more feathering but I'm still very much a learner with the airbrush. I do think the shading is justified as this is representing a painted aluminium surface not natural metal.

Andy