1/72 Revell Douglas C-47

:tumble: Hello, is there anybody here?

I might as well kick things off. Goodness knows how many Airfix/Italeri/Revell kits we'll see, but here's a pic of mine:

DSC_0001.jpg

plus accessories:

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

I've had my fill of olive drab for a while, so I'll be doing the German based U.S. one at the bottom. Hopefully this'll be a nice quick build with minimal fiddling and as such, I will not be dropping the flaps.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Good to see that someone is doing a silver and white scheme! Always a challenge to depict accurately. Incidentally there is a C-47 on Wolfpack Decals Strategic Air Command sheet.

Hi guys. Thanks for the interest.

Good to see that someone is doing a silver and white scheme! Always a challenge to depict accurately. Incidentally there is a C-47 on Wolfpack Decals Strategic Air Command sheet.

I don't know about challenge :o - this was supposed to be a nice simple build :) .

So, I've decided to start with the ... engines :shrug:

PICT0644.jpg

On the plus side, there is no need to remove the pour stubs. On the minus - there are fourteen 4mm pushrod tubes to put on each one. Once more the poor kitchen brush donates some bristles for the cause!

More soon

Andy

OK, having said I'm going to do one from 1966, I realise that I have no idea what colour it should be on the inside.

Before I spray everything interior green, does anyone know different?

I would only hazard a guess that they wouldn't have bothered to change the interior colour from the original specs, so I'd say interior green is about as safe as you'll get. There's dark green padding material on the inside of some Daks too, not sure if this particular machine would be fitted with it though.

I have been making steady progress and now it's time to post some piccies. As I'm going to be leaving the passenger door open, I've added a little interior detail around that area. I've also used the etch details for the cockpit and I reckon if I leave the cockpit side windows open some of it might actually be visible when it's finished.

General shot:

PICT0647.jpg

Wall detail opposite the door:

PICT0649.jpg

View of the cockpit and lap belts

PICT0648.jpgPICT0650.jpgPICT0651.jpg

That should be good enough considering how difficult it is to see inside.

Andy

Looks great Andy, but I am afraid the cockpit and forward cabin detailing is all in vane. Your can't see any thing in there when it is all buttoned up :(

I need to get a move on with mine.....

Edited by TrojanThunder

Looks great Andy, but I am afraid the cockpit and forward cabin detailing is all in vane. Your can't see any thing in there when it is all buttoned up :(

I need to get a move on with mine.....

Oh well, it's not like it took very long to put in. Time to glue it all together.

Andy

I've had a go at the wheel wells. In my usual lazy way, I thought that I might as well do a pattern for one and then mould as many as I need.

Master and mouldings

PICT0659.jpg

Painted first

PICT0662.jpg

Then folded up into a box

PICT0663.jpg

And finally, in situ

PICT0664.jpgPICT0666.jpg

I'm pleased with them. Of course, they're not completely accurate, being a bit shallow and having a flat roof, but they are effective in place and stop you being able to look through to the back of the passenger benches :o .

PM me if you would like a pair.

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Wow, you make that sound so easy, '...I thought that I might as well do a pattern for one and then mould as many as I need...' :) I've tried moulding things and it isn't as easy as it first appeared ?

It's looking really good. It'll be nice to see a brightly coloured model when it's finished.

Gary

Wow, you make that sound so easy, '...I thought that I might as well do a pattern for one and then mould as many as I need...' :) I've tried moulding things and it isn't as easy as it first appeared ?

It's looking really good. It'll be nice to see a brightly coloured model when it's finished.

Thanks Gary. This was a nice flat block mould with no real undercuts, so about as easy as it gets. It really was bish, bash, bosh!

Looking through the other posts, I realize I'm going to have to get a move on or else everybody else will have finished, packed up, and bundled off down the pub before I've even got around to the decals! I have made progress and am in the process of detailing the undercarriage. Oh, and I've discovered that 3mm craft resin rhinestones make great landing light lenses at about 2p each (from eBay).

Pictures soon, I promise

Andy

Thanks Andy. As promised, I have a couple of pics to put up. First up is one of the rhinestone landing lights.

PICT0668.jpg

At this magnification you can make out the facets which is a bit off-putting, but when the cover is on it's nice and bright and looks just like a round headlamp.

We also have the undercarriage assemblies, which have been detailed with a bit of photo-etch, some wire and some plastic strip

PICT0669.jpg

I reckon that pretty much does it for construction, so it's into the booth for some primer.

More soon

Andy

James - let's not count our chickens; there's still plenty of time for me to get it all horribly wrong!

Priming finished, pre-shade soon.

Andy

Haha! Never a truer word spoken - can't wait to see the end product

Andy

Those undercarriage mods look good and that's a good idea for the lights.

I hope you don't mind if I copy some of your enhancements on to my build (that's the advantage of being behind everyone else ... I can get to see all those good ideas and use them myself :) ).

It's looking good so far.

Gary