Welcome to the Dakota Group Build

Welcome all to the Dakota Single Type Group Build!

Your host is for this group build is me, rowmk9. This is the place to chat about all things relating to the Gooney Bird. Announce your builds, ask questions and generally have a good time in this thread. The rules and gallery threads will be uploaded soon. I'm not a Dak expert but I'm sure between us we can clear up any issues regarding the C-47.

And remember to have fun!

Edited by rowmk9

:tumble:

Okay so there were 15-20 people interested in this GB in the thread for it, where are you all now? lol. C'mon, you know you want to build a Dakota, its an aviation classic!

I'm here :)

Been a bit frantic lately, finishing a tornado, still got two Harriers underway and a DC10 as well....

Room for a pair of Daks tho' :)

details anon

I'm here too - it's going to be the Revell/Monogram AC-47 in 1/48...though not yet! I've got some stuff to take care of first and anticipate putting first pics up at the end of Sept...but I WILL BE THERE!

Andy

1/48th sure will be be :0

I'll stick with a pair of Esci kits, 1/72, one in RAF, one in a civil c/s, was going to be TWA but I might change my mind....

ah good to see you guys! I was starting to worry! ooh a 1/48 AC-47, that'll be a big beastie. :D

Well...big-ish but I have got bigger stuff! This is just the excuse I have been waiting for, to pull it out of the stash, and having had such a good time building to a deadline on the Tornado STGB, I thought I'd give it a whirl with this baby!

Andy

my deadline for this is SMW...the airliner sig them is Douglas Aircraft so the DC3 and DC10 fir that.....I MUST finish them !!!!!!

ok...so....I changed my mind....

my go at this build will be

two Esci 1/72 scale kits - 1 US navy artic research aircraft and one Mohawk Gaslight Service civvvie - if the decals, which are a bit ancient, hold up and are usable. They look ok tho', but if they give in to age, I'll revert to TWA

Plus - just to get me in the mood, I'll add an American Airlines DC3 in 1/144 scale

Berlin Tempelhof - I'm slightly obsessed with THF, the airlift, postwar ops and right up to when Tegel opened....

do it in the scheme shown on the box :)

Amongst the esci 1/72 scale kits I have, one has 'Camel Caravan To Berlin' markings - I'm not planning on doing it for this GB but I will do it in that c/s at some point

Ok cool looks like a few more interested parties :) thats good to see and by all means, start your builds when you can. Yeah a bannaer would be nice, they aren't too hard to make as long as you get mike's permission to use the BM logo and of course make sure the DC-3 photo/painting that is used is sourced 'correctly'. I'm going to be busy the next few days though so I wont have time to make one.

Hi,

Can I join in please?

I've just received the Heritage Aviation Turbo Dak conversion set from Simon Platt here on BM (thanks Simon) and plan to convert the Revell 1/72 C-47 into a Turbo Dak.

I hope this falls into the 'Douglas Dakota variant' category as specified by the GB rules (briefly the turbo dak is a C-47 with an extended fuselage, turbo engines and a slightly different nose) ?

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Gajman

Hi,

Can I join in please?

I've just received the Heritage Aviation Turbo Dak conversion set from Simon Platt here on BM (thanks Simon) and plan to convert the Revell 1/72 C-47 into a Turbo Dak.

I hope this falls into the 'Douglas Dakota variant' category as specified by the GB rules (briefly the turbo dak is a C-47 with an extended fuselage, turbo engines and a slightly different nose) ?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary! you most certainly can join with that kit and conversion set. It makes a C-47T or Basler BT-67 I understand, which in my eyes is a Dakota, just with modifications.

I look forward to seeing it in the GB. :)

I better raise my ugly head here....

Hi Folks, sorry for abandoning you at the start, however could I think my impromptu mod team for stepping up to the plate in my absence.

I was away due to a death in the family, however I am returning now and should be back fully hyped up by Monday, at the moment I am clearing the decks of my models and trying to finish some before the man cave moves in the house.....

I'll hopefully get along to all your group builds at some stage and see how you all are doing,

Cheers,

James

Welcome all to the Dakota Single Type Group Build!

Your host is for this group build is me, rowmk9. This is the place to chat about all things relating to the Gooney Bird. Announce your builds, ask questions and generally have a good time in this thread. The rules and gallery threads will be uploaded soon. I'm not a Dak expert but I'm sure between us we can clear up any issues regarding the C-47.

And remember to have fun!

Although I am not doing anything for this group build or even have a Dakota to build, but I would like to know if anyone would put a guess to the markings and colourings of this Dakota my dad jumped from, I think it is around 1945-46, the front is the only markings I know of, and the front looks like it might be red or similar

3953576407_d84773905a_b-1.jpg

Edited by kev67

I better raise my ugly head here....

Hi Folks, sorry for abandoning you at the start, however could I think my impromptu mod team for stepping up to the plate in my absence.

I was away due to a death in the family, however I am returning now and should be back fully hyped up by Monday, at the moment I am clearing the decks of my models and trying to finish some before the man cave moves in the house.....

I'll hopefully get along to all your group builds at some stage and see how you all are doing,

Cheers,

James

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know the feeling all too well.

To business, good to have you back. But I notice the response so far is a bit lacklustre compared to the P-47 one which seems to be racing away. Whats happened to all those others who expressed a wish to enter?? I have finished one of my Daks with another to follow once I've got the next model show out the way. And then, I'll head into the jug build!

Firstly thank you for your comments,

Well what I am going to do this afternoon is pm everyone that stated they were interested and remind them that the GB is on, and is running. The problem that I am suffering and I know other modelers might be suffering is inundation of GB's.

Personally as I am in the process of redecorations, I wont be starting my Dak until I have moved the man cave to its new surroundings and cleared the deck of this B-29

I, too, am sorry for your loss; welcome back. As for GBitis: bring it on! There are far too many unbuilt models in the world.

As for this GB, it might be worth pointing out to people that the Airfix/Revell/Italeri kit goes together in a flash if you don't open the doors and can ignore the see through wheel wells - if I had the space I'd be building at least another one.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys finally got my order in for a minicraft 1/144 DC3 to enter in this build. Would like to do a metal finish BEA aircraft like this:

Piccy of DC3

Does anyone know of a decal set for BEA liveries for the DC3 in 1/144, had a quick look through Hannants and no joy. If no luck then I could also do the cargo livery as that I have seen on a kit before.

Thanks for your help and am waiting keenly for the kit to arrive.

Cheers

Graham

• 1 month later...

well......I'm crossing the threshold now with mine and taking a moment to look through some of the others here; there are some awesome daks on show....

In a bit, I'll see if I can safely put her on the runway....with a bit of luck I'll get it finished tonight so pics will be up either later or tomorrow