1/32 Trumpeter F-8C Crusader (FMP conversion)

This was one of the most enjoyable builds I've done for a long time. The conversion kit was excellent, the decals by Zotz also (I think the stencils were a bit too heavy though, I still used 'em!)

Photos could be better, but i hope they give the impression of this colourful bird!

f-8e finished 001 f-8e finished 002 f-8e finished 003 f-8e finished 004 f-8e finished 007 f-8e finished 008 f-8e finished 009

Thanks for looking,
Al

Now that's a thing of beauty Al, great choice!!. One of my favourites and you've certainly done it justice...great stuff that man...

(It's difficult with stencils coz in reality you can't really see a lot of em from the scale distance of most models as we view them, (and if you did they would just be faint marks) but I feel they always add depth and interest to the finished model), I suppose the same could be said for most panel lines too...

:cheers:

VF-84 F-8C does not get much better than this.

looks a great build. I have seen the fisher conversion and its spot on.

A couple of points I hope you dont mind from a serious sader fan, off all the pics I have seen it looks like Vought Seats were fitted at this time. Not to say they had not fitted some MB's. Cant find a shot of 5559 showing the seat. Also for some reason the CAG bird seems to be the only one that did not have the Yellow & black stripes on the tail. Why?? never been able to find the answer.

I can only hope my attempt at this scheme in 1.48 looks as good when I finally get around to it.

Julien :thumbsup:

Nicely built! I especially like the bare-metal areas on the tail.

One tip (taught to me by an old school 1/32 modeler) - Often, decal companies print maintenance stencils far too large. The solution is to use decals that are the next scale down. For example, Superscale decals for 1/48 F/A-18s and F4Us from a particular time period were massive compared to the markings around them. The solution (for me) was to use maintenance stencils (ie "NO STEP", "NO PUSH", "NO KIDDING") that were 1/72 scale. The modeler who taught me this typically built 1/32 subjects, so he often used 1/48 maintenance stencils for the proper scale effect.

On the other hand - There was a timeframe when F-8s and F-4s seemed to be plastered with maintenance stencils. Short of painstakingly applying an endless number of decals, you've captured this effect very effectively.

Oh if only current jets were painted with half as much brightly-colored paint as your F-8....

Thanks for looking in on this one and the very nice comments folks!

Julien, I agree with everything you mentioned, the VF-84 C's had the Vought seat until the late 60s. But thereMB one in the FMP set was just so good...!

It is a fantastic conversion, get the cuts right and it is a drop fit. Having said that, the kit is not in three same bracket as the F-100D in terms of fit. But it is even more impressive!

John, thanks for that sage advice, and I completely agree with you about the colour schemes, perhaps that's why I am stuck in the Cold War era for subject matter!

Thanks again everyone for your comments, glad you like it too!

Al

On the other hand - There was a timeframe when F-8s and F-4s seemed to be plastered with maintenance stencils. Short of painstakingly applying an endless number of decals, you've captured this effect very effectively.

I have been told the F-8s came with shed loads of stencils even pannel numbers but the generally got rid of them after repaints etc. Only really the "NO STEP" walkway type ones were generally replaced, and the big one on top of the gear doors as people did try and stand there.

Good tip on using the next scle down, I will try that on my next 1.48

Julien