HMS Warspite 1/350 Academy

JohnT

• 4 weeks later...
Right thats it,I`m taking up wine,women and song. :wacko: Check this out ,it was built in a very short time,with the minimum of AM stuff:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb...k/kk-index.html

off to the pub ,Phil

Kostas Warspite is really excellent, and shows that good weathering and a feel for where even small improvements has large impact.

I'm sure some people would say that it is overweathered, but it is close to perfect in my opinion.

Right thats it,I`m taking up wine,women and song. :wacko: Check this out ,it was built in a very short time,with the minimum of AM stuff:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb...k/kk-index.html

off to the pub ,Phil

Keep a seat for me too then - incredible work

what impressed me particularly was the sea effect where he has captured to colour of the ocean where you have an underwater air bubble and the sea turns that blue through green to white effect. Excellent attention to detail

• 3 weeks later...
Ever heard of this company " Pontos",anyway read on ,very interesting http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewt...f=2&t=83584 ,its started the PE is wow

FWIW, I ordered up the Pontos (got to love their knowledge of mythology!) set on the 28 October. It cost me £76.00 including postage and arrived yesterday (8 November). There's no way I can take any better pictures than those you see on their website, so all I will say is those pictures scarcely do the set justice. It is epic. A couple of other modellers and I spent an hour last night at one of our build nights just drooling and giggling over the parts like a bunch of schoolgirls over the latest vampire movie.

Only down side I can see is the etched parts are very fragile (I'd call it 'foil' rather than 'sheet') and I've immediately cut some planks of thin ply to sandwich them as they're used during construction, and I can't find any trace of the dual purpose 4in gun mountings other than replacement brass barrels. They would have been nice as the shields weren't much more than spray deflectors and they'll look a bit chunky next to all the rest of the kit. Oh, and a couple of years' supply of aspirin would be useful!

I saw their built up example at Telford yesterday and it was immense. I did decide that £75 was too much then went over to WEM and got their deal of ship + etch for £85. It does look very nice and comes with ships dog, cat and parrot! I kept on revisiting the Prontos stand and I think with hindsight I should have splashed the extra £25 for the etch, wood deck and turned brass. But hey ho I'm not unhappy with the WEM set and with what I saved went off and got a Roma :-)

Cheers now

Bob

• 2 weeks later...