HMS Hood 1/200th

Tomcat Alley

until the yamato explosion (later eclipsed by the a bomb) the hood was the largest man made explosion in history so id hazard a guess that quite alot of it did indeed fly and possibly quite a long way!

the more i think about it the more i want it is part 1 in news agents yet?

Looking on Google, the largest man made exposion was in Halifax, Nova Scotia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

Edited by kev67

So there is now a magazine and kit building set for HMS Hood from Hachette partworks. 1st edition as per normal is the bargain price of 50p, followed by edition 2 and 3 for £3.99 and then the next 137 editions for £5.99 each. a mere £825 in the end.

The magazine for edition 1 covers construction of the balsa parts supplied, 6 pages on the building of hood and then 4 pages on modern naval warfare. Edition 1 is certainly worth 50p!!

There is also an R/C option for this kit, where later in the series there will be an offer to buy an R/C pack, which is likely to reflect the cost of the Bismarck R/C option pack which cost £115, which was only a two prop drive and will likely be the same for the Hood.

So the overall cost if you go the R/C route (including materials) will be in excess of £1000, the best part of 3 years before it will be complete.

The 50p cost for mag 1 makes it worth a look, its certainly huge at over 1,300mm long, but justifying 1k is another matter, there also appears to be a sting in the tail with a discreet disclaimer noted: 'Parts may vary from those shown', which could give leave to discovering all sorts of nasties!

The Arizona is around 150 quid

Thing is with SOME of the partworks ( the Bismarck in particular) it is a lot for the kit (750 ish) but i have to say, its a superb kit, 90 %of the superstructure and detail parts are etched brass and really well thought out

There are plenty of model boats for sale as kits from varying suppliers ( Deansmarine, Mountfleet- both very very nice kits) that retail at around 750 and the Bismarck is easily in the same league.

The only downside is a plank on frame hull ( not a problem but puts people off like the word vacform) but thats a necessary of the style of selling.

My advise, if u can afford it ( fiver or so a week) give it a chance ,stick with it and save all building till u have all issues, you will, i think be pleasantly surprised at the quality

Mark

My concern with these partworks is how certain you can be that they will publish every issue. If sales of the first few aren't good then they may decide to ditch it, so you're left with some useless parts and an unfinished magazine.

There is also an R/C option for this kit, where later in the series there will be an offer to buy an R/C pack, which is likely to reflect the cost of the Bismarck R/C option pack which cost £115, which was only a two prop drive and will likely be the same for the Hood.

So the overall cost if you go the R/C route (including materials) will be in excess of £1000, the best part of 3 years before it will be complete.

The 50p cost for mag 1 makes it worth a look, its certainly huge at over 1,300mm long, but justifying 1k is another matter, there also appears to be a sting in the tail with a discreet disclaimer noted: 'Parts may vary from those shown', which could give leave to discovering all sorts of nasties!

The funny thing is, they had tis disclaimer on the Hood kit, and indeed some did differ from the original model that was used but in a superior way

the only issue ( sorry) with it is, as you said, justifying the cost, tho as i said they easily fall in the same quality bracket as equally priced 'buy it now' kits and having built 4, boats have never had an issue (sorry again !)with issues ending or not appearing

Edited by markjames68

Cost for the R/C version is as clear as mud, issue 1 does not actually state how much the R/C option kit will cost let alone its Spec, or when this info is likely to advised, and therefore the legality of them not providing this info at the outset has to be in question.

Otherwise, how do you know what the total cost of the R/C version will be, and where you could be a pile of mag's into the build before you are told the cost & spec!

Okay you can go your own R/C route, but for the novice R/C builder this will be unlikley, and will therefore either have to accept the cost, seek guidance or possibly dump the build because of the cost, where the latter means that the sum total of mags bought to date will be an out of pocket loss!

Edited by Who dares Wins

:lol:

I wouldn't take ANYTHING seriously if it appeared in either of these gutter trash rags! You can buy a similar type large scale model of HMS Victory for approx £500 as a complete kit. Given the size & complexity of the Victory model, I think the price is actually quite reasonable - especially when you factor in the time it will take to build. For those of you of a certain vintage, you may remember Heller's magnificent "Le Soleil Royale". With over 2000 parts AND full rigging, it took me nearly 2 years to complete the model. Even in 1978 prices it was expensive!!

As has been pointed out, it will cost you £1000+ to buy a full r/c ship model of this type so, I suggest the cost overall isn't necessarily excessive. I'd love this one but, my fear is that the sales might not be enough to keep the mag going & I'd be left with a partial model.

I wonder perhaps if the gutter press would be equally dismissive if, for example, the offer was for a (hypothetical) History of the Royal Navy in 137 weekly instalments at £5.99 with an introductory price of £0.50 on the first issue? (with FREE parts every week to build a 1/200 model of HMS Hood)?

Allan

Allan

I don't know where these 'comparison prices' come from, but they seem a crock of - whatever. I took a look at the Fleetscale website and their 3/32nd. in/ft (that's 1/128 scale) Hood doesn't cost anywhere near £1,500, and that's even taking into account the optional packs that many real modellers could work up themselves.

Comparison prices are fair for a kit of this quality, ( the Bismarck was good, a search of the net shows the level of detail)

Ive just paid 759 for a mountfleet kit

You could spend 1050 on a speedline Severn lifeboat

A Deans marine HMS Hannibal is 775

The big Fleetscale warships tend to be around the 700 mark for the semi kit, not forgetting they are SEMI kits and for the most part dont come with superstructure so a LOT of scratchbuilding is required

None of the above come with motors or and radio gear so conservativley add another 200 And they all require a lot more work to get to a good standard

So value wise i think it sits in the right place in the market, you get the magaazine with it every month as a bonus, ive built a few of these (Bounty, Bismark, etc and they are good models to build)

interstingly the Sun ran the same kind of article when the bismarck came out, it had the odd LITTLE problem here and there in terms of accuracy but what kit doesnt, and i bet everyone that built it would say they are glad they did

Out of interest the one i would really like is the Hachette 1/16 stuka, if you do a search on google , its incredible but only on sale in Germany, they also do a 1/16 Zero ( cant remember where that one is sold)

Edited by markjames68

Ah well, took the plunge and subscribed, way i see it it will be a nice centrepiece model since the rest of my ships tend to be 1/350 dio's this will be a nice 1/200 full hull :)

• 2 months later...

This really made me laugh.

I actually sat and worked out that 137 weeks of the Daily Mail including weekend editions will set you back £691.80 and all you get is a big pile of caustic gossipy puke. The Hood looks like the bargain of the century by comparison!

Al

• 1 month later...
Comparison prices are fair for a kit of this quality, ( the Bismarck was good, a search of the net shows the level of detail)

Ive just paid 759 for a mountfleet kit

You could spend 1050 on a speedline Severn lifeboat

A Deans marine HMS Hannibal is 775

The big Fleetscale warships tend to be around the 700 mark for the semi kit, not forgetting they are SEMI kits and for the most part dont come with superstructure so a LOT of scratchbuilding is required

None of the above come with motors or and radio gear so conservativley add another 200 And they all require a lot more work to get to a good standard

So value wise i think it sits in the right place in the market, you get the magaazine with it every month as a bonus, ive built a few of these (Bounty, Bismark, etc and they are good models to build)

interstingly the Sun ran the same kind of article when the bismarck came out, it had the odd LITTLE problem here and there in terms of accuracy but what kit doesnt, and i bet everyone that built it would say they are glad they did

Out of interest the one i would really like is the Hachette 1/16 stuka, if you do a search on google , its incredible but only on sale in Germany, they also do a 1/16 Zero ( cant remember where that one is sold)

I know Hachette very well.

It does get frustrating that all mag part works get lumped together with De-Agustini and others, as I know Hachette are quite a few cuts above the Spanish based firms. The Hood and Bismarck (and Stuka) are well worth it, and to buy a kit with that amount of parts and detail (a lot being PE - way above anything found even on the most expensive of plastic kits), it would cost thousands more. If built properly they are real 'museum standard' models, and I know first hand that Hachette insist on the highest quality - they use AMATI for most developments.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well my collecting grows.

Up to part 29 now. Again some weeksd have been a little sparce with parts to build/use.

Now how about saving it all up and cut and make a 2nd one from the masters? :rolleyes:

Won't be starting mine yet.

Adrian