HMS Hood 1/200th

Tomcat Alley

So there is now a magazine and kit building set for HMS Hood from Hachette partworks. 1st edition as per normal is the bargain price of 50p, followed by edition 2 and 3 for £3.99 and then the next 137 editions for £5.99 each. a mere £825 in the end.

The magazine for edition 1 covers construction of the balsa parts supplied, 6 pages on the building of hood and then 4 pages on modern naval warfare. Edition 1 is certainly worth 50p!!

I wonder if this will persuade Trumpeter to do a 200th scale Hood to go with their Arizona?? I`d be tempted if they did!

Phil

Now that would be nice. The Arizona is great so if they could do Hood as well, if not better then that would definitely be on my to buy list.

iv got the 200 scale bismark not actually finished it though lol

£825 is a HELL of alot of money but £5 per week isnt and you do get an absolute mass of imformation 5-6 folders full going off my (crap) memory

is it worth it??

maybe it is a mightily impressive model sat on the shelf and you do get lots with it

Out of curiousity, as a comparison, how much was the Arizona model?

The Arizona is around 150 quid

Thing is with SOME of the partworks ( the Bismarck in particular) it is a lot for the kit (750 ish) but i have to say, its a superb kit, 90 %of the superstructure and detail parts are etched brass and really well thought out

There are plenty of model boats for sale as kits from varying suppliers ( Deansmarine, Mountfleet- both very very nice kits) that retail at around 750 and the Bismarck is easily in the same league.

The only downside is a plank on frame hull ( not a problem but puts people off like the word vacform) but thats a necessary of the style of selling.

My advise, if u can afford it ( fiver or so a week) give it a chance ,stick with it and save all building till u have all issues, you will, i think be pleasantly surprised at the quality

Mark

didnt DeAgostini also do a HMS Hood in 1/200?

found the site but cant subscribe to it

in any event im gonna end up getting one of them hehe, will make a nice centerpiece model

What was the wing loading on HMS Hood btw? I've heard she never actually flew. :whistle:

until the yamato explosion (later eclipsed by the a bomb) the hood was the largest man made explosion in history so id hazard a guess that quite alot of it did indeed fly and possibly quite a long way!

the more i think about it the more i want it is part 1 in news agents yet?

nope i never have only 3 survivors!

I remember reading that after studying the wreck, the head of the search team said he no longer wondered why 1415 crew were lost, but instead was astounded that 3 survived.

Anyone interested in a partwork might find this forum useful. http://www.partworkmodels.co.uk/phpBB3/ind...10d69d5c15fc1d9

Will

At a fiver a week it doesn't sound all that much....better still if you have a poor memory.

At nearly 3 years to collect, it will test your memory.

For me I thought about taking it out but 3 years is a long time to wait and also, am I going to get any more information than what I already have from the Hood books, I have in the collection. Must admit Id join the call for a larger version from Trumpeter and as they shrunk it to 1/700, surely than can expand it to 1/200.

Jokes aside, don't forget the 1,415 crew that died with her.

Never have done and doubt I ever will....I've got two of the rare prints below (signed by Ted Briggs), one is still in the cardboard tube it came in and the other belonged to my late father and had been hung on a wall for a number of years.

http://www.military-art.com/mall/more.php?ProdID=16029

nope i never have only 3 survivors!

4, actually; a Hood crewman, living locally to me, was hospitalised just before she sailed. Until the day he died, he utterly refused to talk about the ship.

Edgar

got issue 1 from local shop

iv been through the bismark stuff and im some missing how do i sort that?

If you contact the publishers they may have some spare issues laying around, but don't bet on it! After a while they may have only a reference copy for themselves, and unfortunately no spares for punters like you to snaffle up!!