Calling John from Aeroclub>>>

yeehah1

12-12-07

Hey John...Liam from Ireland again.

I finally managed to get me a pair of those plastic calliphers like you recommended.

If you can cast your mind back to your demonstration of the Bi-Plane Jig...you said something about cutting one the pointy bits up top of hte callipers for something.

Can you re-iterate why you did this and can you please show me the piece you cut of, where and why?

Thanks in advance for both your patience and guidance

(that Gladiator is sneaking closer to build.....)

Liam

12-12-07

Hey John...Liam from Ireland again.

I finally managed to get me a pair of those plastic calliphers like you recommended.

If you can cast your mind back to your demonstration of the Bi-Plane Jig...you said something about cutting one the pointy bits up top of hte callipers for something.

Can you re-iterate why you did this and can you please show me the piece you cut of, where and why?

Thanks in advance for both your patience and guidance

(that Gladiator is sneaking closer to build.....)

Liam

Hello Liam

I trust that you bought a really cheap Vernier caliper if you are going to "modify" it. You don't actually have to cut it but as I have a number of these tools lying around the workshop, I removed 2mm off the moving point. The reason for this, is when the caliper is held inverted the tip of the point that is left will "sit" on the top edge of the base plate and the "blunt" (moving) tip will butt up to the top edge of the gap arm so that it is held properly vertical. I can't photograph it at this time as my new study looks like a bomb site as we have just moved house.

I hope that this helps.

John