Lockheed Tristar in 72 scale

Nigel Bunker

Did anybody ever make (I am guessing) a vac form model of this plane. I have a fancy to build one in RAF markings, and would prefer to build a kit of some sort (even if it means converting it to a 500 series) rather than scratchbuilding it.

Funnily enough, the answer is "yes". Space Models made one that I'm pretty sure was as Dave suggests aimed at travel agents. I came across its existance on a tortuous web search and can't find the URL that mentioned it. However the bad news is that as far as I can establish, the company that bought Space Models is no longer in this market (I think they work on making prototypes for industry) and don't appear to still make it. I couldn't find contact details to ask them though.

A seemingly fairly basic wooden master of a 1:72 Tristar came up on ebay a couple of months back but the bidding got too rich for me (I think it went for around 80 quid and I'm tight) and it occured to me that this might have been the Space Models plug. There was no other tooling included in the listing and it would have needed quite some effort to use it to produce a vac form or resin model.

If you do discover one, please post. My retirement project (ha!) requires a model of ZD950, a Tristar C1K of 216 Sqn...

Cheers,

Kirk

PS/ at 1:72, the fuselage diameter is 83.33mm and the wingspan 695.7mm. Big. :D

PS/ at 1:72, the fuselage diameter is 83.33mm and the wingspan 695.7mm. Big. :D

I've got a 1/72 KC-10 in the stash, and they're about the same size as the Tristar but I wouldn't call them big myself. Not when you compare them to a 1/72 747 or C-5 that is :wicked:

And I've got two of the 747's and one C-5 in the stash too -- -_-

Although I'm surprised that Aircraft in Miniature haven't done a Tristar by now.

Edited by kitnut617

Keep in mind that the RAF's airplanes are Tristar 500s, which have a shorter fuselage, among many other changes....

J

You wouldn't feel like listing the major differences would you Jennings?

Obviously there's the refuelling connectors and markings but something tells me this wasn't what you had in mind.

Cheers,

Kirk

OOOhhhhh can o worms lol

K.1 ex British Airways used in tanker/transport role x2 aircraft.

KC.1 ex BA aircraft tanker/transport/cargo role x4 aircraft.

C.1 ex BA

C.2 ex Pan Am x2 aircraft

C.2A ex Pan Am different avionics to C.2

wing root fairings are different on -500's, shorter fuselage, longer wingspan, fairing under center engine intake. just a few I know of, others may know more.

Have a shufty over to airliners.net and you will get some good pics/info there.

Edited by smeds

wing root fairings are different on -500's, shorter fuselage, longer wingspan, fairing under center engine intake. just a few I know of, others may know more.

That's about it - different passenger/emergency door and cabin window arrangement as well IIRC The mk 1s and mk 2s have a different under floor baggage/access door arrangement - one reason why they couldn't make them tankers, ad they couldn't fit the HDU!

Interestingly, the BA 500s were delivered with the original L1011 wingspan then retrofitted with the extensions in service - if you look at the wing tips on RAF mk 1 aircraft, you can see the join!

• 3 weeks later...