1/144th Airbus A340-600 conversion.

Tom. Just wondering. Have you had any sleep recently? :whistle:

Cracking job your doing.

Steve

Late to bed... early to rise!

Thanks for your kind comment Steve.

Ha ha! The joys of being a teacher - summer hols!!!

Thanks Chris...

Yours will come good I'm sure of that, just have plenty of filler at hand! How do you plan to paint yours? I can't wait to see that scheme it'll look stunning.

Spent the last 2 hours redoing the rear after my 8 month old pulled it of the table when he was sitting in his high chair :( broke the back in so thinking cap was on. Didn't want to use another kit so I cut the back end off my old A330 and started again!

4e6c7c8e.jpg

Paint job??? Thinking of spraying the front White then fade into the silver base coat in the middle then the same on to the black. Then spray the candy apple red on top of it all? Something along those lines anyway

That's looking great! Good idea re. the fuselage problem. I filled and sanded for three days to overcome mine!

I've just found an old thread of yours regarding this build... did you get her finished?

[quote name='tomprobert' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:57 PM' post='841773'

Next the wings were removed from their casting blocks and cleaned up. Again, the fit wasn't brilliant:

What kind of glue did you use? Did you pin them or use a spar?

Edited by living legend

[quote name='tomprobert' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:57 PM' post='841773'

Next the wings were removed from their casting blocks and cleaned up. Again, the fit wasn't brilliant:

What kind of glue did you use? Did you pin them or use a spar?

I relied on the kit's locatng tabs, but fillied the gaps with scrap plasticard and super glue. I then used P38 car body filler wich gives an incredibly strong join and helps re-inforce the area. The bonus is it dries in approx. 30 mins and is beautiful to sand!

After some last minute filling of blemishes, I've now got the A340-600 into primer. All looks good, and I think I'm good to go with the main painting stage now; I'm just hoping the weather improves!

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

Those eagled-eyed among you will have probably noticed the stabilisers are not level - fear not, these were only tacked on whilst I primed the model.

The engines are complete and I've begun paniting those, ready to be added at a later date.

Told you, you will finish before me lol. Looks good bud

Cheers, I'm just hoping the weather improves so I can get some paint on.

So much for being summer!!! :lol:

Ha ha! The joys of being a teacher - summer hols!!!

ok so you've given up work, love and romance, eating, sleeping and are dedicated to building models...

you are an oasis of sanity in a mad world

looks like a perfect military machine there :)...I'll check the finished model tomorrow......

In between torrential downpours over the last couple of days I've managed to get some paint on the A340-600...

Engines have been done. First the nacelles were primed and then sprayed Halford's Ford Cherry Red, then the plyons were given a coat of Dove Grey. Decals were then added, and when laquered I'll add the various metal shades seen on the pylons and exhaust cones:

IMG_0765.jpg

The fuselage had the tail sprayed Cherry Red first, then this was protected whilst the corruguard areas were painted Rover Steel Grey, and when dry were masked off for more Dove Grey:

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Next job is give the fuselage a final rub-down, before adding the fuselage colour. Halford's Citroen Pearl Grey is near enough an exact match for the silver of this scheme so fingers crossed for sunshine tomorrow!

.....Halford's Ford Cherry Red,

corruguard areas were painted Rover Steel Grey,

...Halford's Citroen Pearl Grey is near enough an exact match for the silver of this scheme

I'll remember this.......

I have completed the four Rolls-Royce Trent engines. After they were laquered I picked out the various shades of metals on the exhaust cones and pylons. I used Humbrol MetalCote colours burnt steel, steel and aluminium. The fans were painted metallic grey and the inside of the intakes was done in camoflage grey which is a pretty good match to the real thing:

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

The decals have also been added, which went on very well:

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

All decals were either from the BraZ conversion of the Revell A340 sheet. The black wing walkway outlines came from the spares box:

IMG_0775.jpg

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for fine weather to get some laquer on and the finishing touches added.

Very, very nice work.

I don't know how you guys build so fast :huh:

Thank you.

It's a case of super glue, quick drying filler and quick drying paints... all any modeller ever needs!