1/144th Airbus A340-600 conversion.

I have wanted to built the A340-600 for a while so yesterday I treated myself to a Revell 1/144th scale kit and BraZ Models resin A340-600 conversion kit in Virgin Atlantic colours.

Here is what you get:

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

The resin is cast beautifully and the the parts a lightly engraved with panel lines etc. Decals are stunning, and you get a simple instruction sheet on where to cut the Revell fuselage to add the BraZ parts.

From experience with BraZ's 777-300 conversion the fuselage plugs may be a slightly different diameter to the kit, but I have a cunning plan to over come this. I'm hoping to make a start later today so all will be revealed... hopefully!

Edited by tomprobert

Hang on a minute Tom.

I've recently done a 1/32 F/A-18F......so have you.

I am about to do an airliner in Virgin Atlanic decals..........

Are you my long lost twin? :cheers:

Steve

Well... may I be bold enough to say...

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!! :D

Hi yes it's is a nice kit u will get trouble with the braz parts to the revell kit what I did with mine was to cut of the lugs on the end of the braz parts and on the revell parts I cut down though the Sid along the windows so I could squeeze the lastic to fit the resin then. A lot of sanding and filling i hormone when they came out a few years a go and not yet finished it

I have wanted to built the A340-600 for a while so yesterday I treated myself to a Revell 1/144th scale kit and BraZ Models resin A340-600 conversion kit in Virgin Atlantic colours.

Here is what you get:

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

The resin is cast beautifully and the the parts a lightly engraved with panel lines etc. Decals are stunning, and you get a simple instruction sheet on where to cut the Revell fuselage to add the BraZ parts.

From experience with BraZ's 777-300 conversion the fuselage plugs may be a slightly different diameter to the kit, but I have a cunning plan to over come this. I'm hoping to make a start later today so all will be revealed... hopefully!

Hi yes it's is a nice kit u will get trouble with the braz parts to the revell kit what I did with mine was to cut of the lugs on the end of the braz parts and on the revell parts I cut down though the Sid along the windows so I could squeeze the lastic to fit the resin then. A lot of sanding and filling i hormone when they came out a few years a go and not yet finished it

Ah that's what I thought. It was the case with the last set of his I used. Ho hum, out with the hack-saw and filler then!

I have made plenty of progress today with the A340-600 conversion...

First I marked the cutting points for the fuselage plug and tail cone on the A340-300 fuselage:

IMG_0732.jpg

Next the fuselage was cut into sections:

IMG_0735.jpg

The next job was to test fit the BraZ fuselage plugs. As I feared the Revell fuselage had a larger diameter than the resin insert:

IMG_0734.jpg

To overcome this, I attached the nose and tail to one side of the plug first:

IMG_0736.jpg

Then I dry-fitted the other side of the resin plug, and trimmed the other Revell parts to fit, removing excess plastic fuselage by sanding and filing:

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Finally, I added some nose weight, attached the nose and centre gear bays, blanked the windows and stuck the fuselage together:

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

This has resulted in a flush join, with the fusealges the same diameter, and minimal filling and sanding being needed:

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

I'm going to let the glue cure overnight and then will add some filler. So far - so good!

That's looking great! Good idea re. the fuselage problem. I filled and sanded for three days to overcome mine!

Thank you! Thankfully(!) I had the same problem with the 777-300 conversion so had this idea in the back of my mind. Luckily it worked and will drastically reduce the filling and sanding needed, as well as keeping the fuselage one constant width!

Hang on a minute Tom.

I've recently done a 1/32 F/A-18F......so have you.

I am about to do an airliner in Virgin Atlanic decals..........

Are you my long lost twin? :cheers:

Steve

Watch out Steve. You have a stalker!!!!!!!!!!!

so fast he said it twice :):):):):)

I think there is an echo in here Kev.

That's a clever fix to the fuselage discrepancy Tom.

I think the 340-600 is the best looking of all the modern airliners as it reminds me of the long body DC-8. Classic lines indeed.

Chris.

Edited by stringbag

The fuselage is now filled and sanded. I am delighted with the outcome; there is virtually no change in the fusealge profile at all:

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

I'm currently working on the tail and wings so I'll post more pictures when these are done.

I think there is an echo in here Kev.

That's a clever fix to the fuselage discrepancy Tom.

Chris.

An echo cho ho o???

Really ally ly y ???

Agreed on the fuse fix - Maybe this should be pinned as a how-to topic....cool idea Tom, I'll keep it in mind ind nd....

ty for the tip ip p .....

:)

I have been very busy today...

First job was to get the tail fin attached. The A340-600 has a larger fin than the A340-300 so BraZ gives you a replacement. I added a tab from scrap resin at the bottom to fit into the whole on the top of the fuselage where the original fin was; this adds strength and helps keep everything straight:

IMG_0753.jpg

The fit wasn't great, but nothing a little filler can't deal with:

IMG_0754.jpg

Next the wings were removed from their casting blocks and cleaned up. Again, the fit wasn't brilliant:

IMG_0755.jpg

...but some car body filler was added and half an hour later she was ready for sanding:

IMG_0756.jpg

With the wings attached (plus the winglets) you get some idea of the size of this bird:

IMG_0757.jpg

Next up was the gear - BraZ's parts fitted perfectly and everything touches the ground!

IMG_0759.jpg

Finally, I added the SatCom aerials from Milliput. When dry these will be improved upon by sanding:

IMG_0761.jpg

Here is one of the engines... once sanded I can get a coat of primer on this girl. Not bad for two days worth of modelling!

IMG_0760.jpg

I'll add more picures as I progress with the painting...

have you done anything else recently/

work?

love and romance?

eaten?

crack on - looking forward to this :)

have you done anything else recently/

work?

love and romance?

eaten?

crack on - looking forward to this :)

Ha ha! The joys of being a teacher - summer hols!!!

Looking better than mine buddy. I'm still at work so not done nothing since last night. Looking fab tho bud

Thanks Chris...

Yours will come good I'm sure of that, just have plenty of filler at hand! How do you plan to paint yours? I can't wait to see that scheme it'll look stunning.