Klear

steve4428

Until recently I would have suggested Quickshine, available from lakelands, BUT they have decided no longer to stock it! However all is not lost, I have had a few issues with Quickshine, mainly after spraying over decals I seem to get a milky discoloration around the decals. I though this was just me not cleaning properly but I thoroughly cleaned my last kit and got the same issues! With this in mind I've decided to try sone Alclad Aqua Gloss which appears to have similar properties to Klear. It has been reviewed on the site, my bottle arrived today so I'm hoping this is the answer!

Phil

Edit to spell my name right!

Edited by SaintsPhil

You didn't read my review properly then! :fight:

I did a small test, and it gave good results, even though it isn't designed as a brushable product... as with all gloss finishes though, your mileage may vary. :shrug:

Klear seems to have been re-branded as "Pledge multi surface wax" I've never used klear before so i'm hoping i've got the right stuff!

It's been reformulated too, and is a milky white colour, and AFAIK isn't as well loved as the old brand. Probably some bean counter thought they should cheapen the formula to improve profits :fraidnot:

Lots of people ar swearing by the Lakeland Quickshine and by the looks of their website it is still available - Lakeland Quickshine

Although after they have sold their current stocks that will be that :(

Tuco :winkgrin:

I purchased mine kast week at their shop at Handforth Dean. Lots of stock on the shelves. If I'm not mistaken it's also in their autumn brochure.

• 2 weeks later...

Quickshine - Tunbridge Wells Lakeland had lots of stock last week (just as well, that was the only reason I wanted to go there!)

Very pleased so far, seems to work like the original Klear I remember from 10+ years ago but with a different smell. Its cloudy in the bottle but dries very clear very quickly

Not cheap but it should last ages, I've decanted some to a small paint bottle so I don't spill or contaminate the big bottle accidently.

Edited by cjhm

Klear seems to have been re-branded as "Pledge multi surface wax" I've never used klear before so i'm hoping i've got the right stuff!

In spite of not being as good as Klear, "Pledge multi surface wax" remains perfectly usable for modelling purposes. The results obtained

are quite satisfactory. . .

In spite of not being as good as Klear, "Pledge multi surface wax" remains perfectly usable for modelling purposes. The results obtained

are quite satisfactory. . .

Agreed, I've used it too. Don't let droplets settle on important parts of clear view sections otherwise it behaves itself

Yep, have to agree with that. I've never used the old original Klear ( though I do have a bottle on my way to me as a friend is getting one in the US for me! ) but I've used the 'Pledge Multi-Surface Wax - New Formula Klear' for the last few months now without any problems. It works on my canopies and as a Gloss coat. Maybe it's not a patch on the old Klear, but as I haven't tried it yet I don't know any better! But the new Klear is definitely more than adequate. Have never used Quickshine as we've no Lakelands over here...

J.

As I understand it, the Klear / Future in the US / Canada is the same 'original' formula, though the label has been changed a few times. However, over here in Europe, the formula was changed. The main difference ( so I've heard ) is the US one is actually clear, while the European one is a bit cloudy ( in the bottle, it dries clear! ). And apparently the original formula is a lot better too!

J.

As I understand it, the Klear / Future in the US / Canada is the same 'original' formula, though the label has been changed a few times. However, over here in Europe, the formula was changed. The main difference ( so I've heard ) is the US one is actually clear, while the European one is a bit cloudy ( in the bottle, it dries clear! ). And apparently the original formula is a lot better too!

J.

OK good l was about to run out and get a bottle but when l read about issues l held back.

Klear is about $7 Cnd here or £5 across the pond so l was thinking. l wish at times to purchase some 1/72 kits or parts and if it is feasible sending it by post if is possible to do trades with some of you who need a bottle. Not sure but l think it comes in a one litre bottle here. I can not do too many requests at once but l would like to help some of you out getting the stuff.

What do you think?

Edited by hacker

• 2 weeks later...