747 Tankers

At Sea

Why has no airforce ever used a Boeing 747 as a tanker, surely this would make sense??

Loads of 2nd had ones about, huge endurance and a very big lift capacity, also they have the advantage of the upper deck hump allowing space for 2 crews and sleeping arrangments if necessary withoug comprimising the loading space.

Imagine, for long distance combat sorties using KC747's with 2 crews and using some internal fuel space for the aircraft and some for the refuelling? Surely a 24hr sortie would not be un-realistic, they could then be well outside the danger area and refuel the inbound and outbound fighter / bomber / recce aircraft as necessary.

Look at Libya, 1 or 2 KC747's flying a box over the Med with all the aircraft going to and from using them as an aerial petrol station, 5 could provide almost 24/7 coverage with one spare for technical issues.

Probe & Drogue on the wing and a flying boom centreline aft. A NATO refuelling service. I think I have inspired my own 'what if' build!

Why has no airforce ever used a Boeing 747 as a tanker, surely this would make sense??

Loads of 2nd had ones about, huge endurance and a very big lift capacity, also they have the advantage of the upper deck hump allowing space for 2 crews and sleeping arrangments if necessary withoug comprimising the loading space.

Imagine, for long distance combat sorties using KC747's with 2 crews and using some internal fuel space for the aircraft and some for the refuelling? Surely a 24hr sortie would not be un-realistic, they could then be well outside the danger area and refuel the inbound and outbound fighter / bomber / recce aircraft as necessary.

Look at Libya, 1 or 2 KC747's flying a box over the Med with all the aircraft going to and from using them as an aerial petrol station, 5 could provide almost 24/7 coverage with one spare for technical issues.

Probe & Drogue on the wing and a flying boom centreline aft. A NATO refuelling service. I think I have inspired my own 'what if' build!

The Iranian Airfoce had 747 tankers in the time of the Shah not sure if they are still operational

The Iranian Airfoce had 747 tankers in the time of the Shah not sure if they are still operational

The aircraft were B747-100 aircraft with a conversion kit for tanker operationsthey were used to support IIAF

F-4 operations.

The Iranian set-up is basically the same as the proposed 747 tanker for the USAF (the competition that the KC-10 won). So searching for 747 ATCA and similar ought to throw up some good results. Avoid 747 tanker as that will be all water-bombers.