HMS Repulse - advice required

Tomcat Alley

I have just got hold of a Trumpeter HMS Repulse. The hull, deck and rear platform superstructure have been built. My issue is that there is glue over the deck and in places the glue has eaten at the plastic. The superstructure has large gaps in it, which even filled would look wrong.

My question is, can I use wood decking to cover the glue issues? Should I attempt to remove the superstructure or will that cause to much damage. Or am I scuppered and should just use it as a test build for trying different paint techniques.

I use Milliput brilliant stuff as you can shape it easily and it hardens so that it can be filed and shaped, scrape back the area where the glue is and use milliput to reshape it, as I cannot see how bad it is, so this would be my first thought

if u can post a few pictures it would give us a better idea of the damage and we'd be better able to advise :)

Well looking at that id say the model is salvage-able if your willing to spend a little money

first thing u wanna do is order up a Wood Deck (id advice the KA Wooden deck which i used on my Repule) and the Admiralty works rear superstructure (since the kit one is inaccurate anyway)

i wouldnt worry about the deck at all, you need to remove the superstructure as crefully as you can, then sane the deck back down to its smooth (where the glue has been laid, keep the kit deck detail) the wood decks will just sit over the damage and you'll never know what a mess it was below

also if you remove the superstructure you should be able to re-assemble it without the gaps ( i have no idea what the guy was doing to get a gap like that! mine went together pretty seemlessly)

hope that helps, if u have any questions just ask away :)

:hobbyhorse:

Well looking at that id say the model is salvage-able if your willing to spend a little money

first thing u wanna do is order up a Wood Deck (id advice the KA Wooden deck which i used on my Repule) and the Admiralty works rear superstructure (since the kit one is inaccurate anyway)

i wouldnt worry about the deck at all, you need to remove the superstructure as crefully as you can, then sane the deck back down to its smooth (where the glue has been laid, keep the kit deck detail) the wood decks will just sit over the damage and you'll never know what a mess it was below

also if you remove the superstructure you should be able to re-assemble it without the gaps ( i have no idea what the guy was doing to get a gap like that! mine went together pretty seemlessly)

hope that helps, if u have any questions just ask away :)

:hobbyhorse:

Many thanks for the reply, I will have a look at those detailing parts and let you know how it all goes. I wanted to save her as I didnt want to spend out again. Some bits of the superstructure will come off easy enough but others will be a bit tricky, but I can only give it a go.

Thanks again

Daryl

Thanks for your advice Andy, but have decided that it is beyond my skills to repair her, so have put her up for sale in the sale section. I will look to purchase a new one and start from scratch, looking at those detailing parts for that. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Daryl

Edited by Tomcat Alley