Academy 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk.V (WIP)

Hey everyone, here are some photos of my latest build.

The model is a typical Academy kit, which has its pros and cons:
pros: cheap, well detailed
cons: crappy decals, some shape errors and over-simplified parts
*edit: I have erroneously stated that this kit was based on the Heller mold, but apparently it's not.

Here are the main inaccuracies:

Fuselage is 2mm shorter (compared to both 4+ and Warpaint plans). This is a bit tricky to correct, since the canopy is positioned correctly compared with vertical fin; while the nose section is positioned correctly compared with the wings.
Logical conclusion: cut somewhere between... of course, try not to ruin the interior detail (which is suficient for the scale and that small hole in the fuselage...)
th_IMG_0468.jpg

Wing chord too broad at the level of the ailerons (but this is really a subtle mistake)
th_IMG_0469.jpg

Other minor inaccuracies include:
- prop blades too wide
- wheel wells too shallow (for my taste)
- different canopies between Academy Typhoon and Tempest (Tempest one is a bit better shaped, but somewhat thick)

I am going to use Squadron canopy, Quickboost exhaust stacks and Extratech RAF seat belts (Q-type)
The rest will be "home-made" wink.png

My only condition - NOT to make Closterman's JF-E!!! Everyone has been doing that one, and I'm really bored with it...
With many help from fellow Britmodellers, it will be the other one in the box - 'Rosie 'Mackie's EDM, serial SN228
The only gripe are the victory markings: should be swastikas, not balkenkreuze. I guess I'll have to find a spare set somewhere...

Anyway, fuselage cut out and holes filled with 2mm styrene.
th_IMG_0470.jpg

Wheel well bottoms cut out and will be used for new ones. I have sanded the walls and extended the structure detail
th_IMG_0471.jpg th_IMG_0472.jpg

Regards,
Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

Why not try Sqn Ldr David "Foob" Fairbanks' Tempest?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll stick to Mackie's mount. Two basic reasons:

- I want a plain Tempest with no stripes (I will probably do a Typhoon with them, so I wanna avoid repetition)

- I don't want to mess around finding another set of decals, when I'm satisfied with the option in the box.

Academy 1/72 model is based on the Heller mould, which has its pros and cons:

pros: cheap, well detailed

cons: crappy decals, some shape errors and over-simplified parts

You'll have to excuse me but I've seen this said elsewhere and didn't understand it then, and still don't understand it now. The Heller/Airfix model shape is very accurate both in the fuse shape and wings. The Academy model, on the other hand, is short in the fuselage and has incorrectly shaped wings. It also has wrong panel lines in a number of places.

So how on earth can the Academy model be based on the Heller mould?! Don't misunderstand me, I'm not having a go at you warhawk because, as I said, I've seen this said elsewhere. I don't know where this has come from but it seems like utter rubbish to me. The Academy model is clearly a completely different mould.

I have the Academy, Heller/Airfix and the Matchbox kits. The Academy version, although quite finely detailed, is the worst of them all IMO. The pick of the bunch for accuracy is the Airfix/Heller kit which is a little gem. All it needs are the raised panel lines smoothing off and re-scribing to make a lovely Tempest. Similarly the Matchbox version is accurate in shape. Slightly let down by the 'soft' details typical of Matchbox, and the engine cowling of the Mk.II is a little blunt, but is otherwise it's very good.

Sorry for the mini-rant. Carry on. :winkgrin:

So how on earth can the Academy model be based on the Heller mould?!

To be honest, I have also stated this based on other reviews. I have never seen the Heller mold, but I assumed that the other reviewers DID...

All in all - EPIC FAIL for both me and those reviewers... :doh:

First post edited.

Edited by warhawk

I don't want to mess around finding another set of decals, when I'm satisfied with the option in the box.

Ahhh...fair enough. If the decals are already supplied and you're happy... I assume it will be this one:

http://www.hawkertempest.se/mackie.htm

Will be watching with interest.

Edited by J.D.

Some more pics of my progress. It's going on rather nicely, without too much hassle...

New wheel wells scratchbuilt. I used Tamiya tape in two layers for the vertical frames, fixed in place with superglue.
Unvelieavebly easy way to make frames...
th_IMG_0534.jpg th_IMG_0535.jpg

Wings thinned on the inside to make a snug fit with the new wells.....
th_IMG_0541.jpg

Interior is really nicely done, you only need to rework the seat (sides and cushion) and slap in some trinkets...
Anything more detailed than this would not be seen inside. Armored headrest plate thinned down
th_IMG_0542.jpg th_IMG_0543.jpg

This particular Tempy had a Rotol propeller (unlike standard DH), so i reshaped and thinned the prop plades
th_IMG_0545.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 1

some great work there - particularly like the wheel wells. Numpty question - the "vertical frames" you mention made out of tamiya tape, is that the white pieces round the edges or the internal strengthening?

I meant the yellow frames on the walls of wheel wells (the walls themselves are made out of styrene) and cockpit sides.

told ya - numpty question.... very neat anyway... looking forward to seeing more

Some more bits and trinkets...

Interior painted and drybrushed. Fuselage widened with 3 styrene inserts (upper cockpit and lower radiator area)

Added radiator "grill"

th_IMG_0631.jpg Ā th_IMG_0632.jpg th_IMG_0635.jpg

I tried to scratchbuild the tailwheel area, so that it will be supported by that resin chunk behind,

I'll see how that will work out... :hmmm:

th_IMG_0633.jpg

Scratchbuilt landing lights

th_IMG_0637.jpg

Fuselage assembled, filled and sanded...

th_IMG_0749.jpg

Reshaped ailerons and scratchbuilt position lights ("bulb" stamped with hot needle into clear block, glued in; sanded and polished)

th_IMG_0765.jpg th_IMG_0768.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

Great job so far! Why don't I have one of these in my stash? Must be wifey holding back my allowance again. Enjoying your build - keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Like it! You seem to have my approach to modeling! I'll be following this as I've got an Academy Tempest and knowing what the Academy tiffy is like, its nice to know the shortcomings in advance.

Like Rob says, the arrows are usefull!

Edited by Nobby

OK, these details on the real thing blew my mind!

Didn't think it was doable in 72nd, but I was wrong...

First, the tail position lights. Quite complicated shape (see walkaround photo).

It was made from a chunk of clear sprue and polished...

Also, I modidfied the tailplane/fuselage joining panel, to give it that "kinked" line.

th_IMG_0802.jpg th_2fd5146df22a4a8cb840d1f88d61485c.jpg

Second - transparent tank racks! I made a resin master and vacuformed them, then I made the inner frames on the tank

Quite tricky shape to vacuform, but I finally got it just right! The fit to the wing is spot-on!

th_IMG_0809.jpg th_IMG_0824.jpg

One question: Should there be some fuel lines in these brackets (between wing and tank), since there are none at the one photo I have...

EDIT:

I've also scratchbuilt a gunsight projector

th_IMG_0829.jpg

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I know, an older thread - but did this one ever get finished?

And two additional questions if I may - I used the Bentley and Caruana drawings to measure the Academy Tempest, and the fuselage is rather spot on with the Bentley plans (wing span seems to be to wide in comparison to both). Now I wonder which one of these plans is more correct?

Aleksandar, could you provide a photo of the Quickboost exhausts you will use for this project? On the photos offered by Quickboost they are modelled incorrectly, with a rim at the tip of every exhaust stack. Their 1/48 counterparts are correct, however. So perhaps they just posted wrong photos on their homepage?

Regards,

Christian

The project is currently on hold till I manage to find resin. I want to copy the ENTIRE nose (in one piece) for my Academy Typhoon somehow :banghead:

My method on using plans was following:

1. Calculate wingspan and length in scale and place markers accordingly in a blank A4 in Photoshop

2. find a good profile photo (with as least perspective deformation as possible, camera prependicular to the fuselage - not too close either) and fit it into PS markers

3. import a bunch of scanned plans (in my case Czech 4+ and Bentley's)

4. scale them into the markers and overlay the photo to see which ones are the best

5. ???

6. profit

(last two steps are only understood by South park fans)

To me 4+ and Bentley plans (of which I have only a low-res free version, buth enough for shape comparison) are very near in terms of outline.

The differences are about the thickness of the lines, so in 1/72 that is good enough for me.

Wingspan is not the problem with this kit, only the wing chord being too broad at the level of the ailerons (as I already stated above)

As for the exhausts, I'm using these (QB72063):

72063.jpg

They do have a rim, but somehow mine is not that prominent as in this photo...

I'll most probably keep them as they are already painted...

I wu

Edited by warhawk

The rim is far too prominent in the version photographed, so you are probably better off. It is hard to see the exact shape of the real exhausts from photos, but there was a stub sold on eBay a while back, and it looked exactly like these ones.

Edited by ben_m

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Aleksandar,

and sorry for my belated reply - got no e-mail notification! Nice to know the underpants gnomes manage your accuracy checks :winkgrin: The Academy kit is basically good - I built one when I was younger and now I can compare this still surviving example to photos of the real thing. I can't help it but there always seems to be something wrong with the general appearance, even though the scale plans tell otherwise. Perhaps it's my main gear adjustment? Anyway, I look forward to your build with the shortened fuselage; maybe you found the solution!

BTW: May I point you to the Rob Taurus canopy for the Tempest? -> http://www.rob-taurus.cz/ It's the best replacement canopy for the Tempest in 1/72 scale and can be used for your Typhoon also. Will improve the look a lot!

Regards,

Christian

• 6 months later...

BTW: May I point you to the Rob Taurus canopy for the Tempest? -> http://www.rob-taurus.cz/ It's the best replacement canopy for the Tempest in 1/72 scale and can be used for your Typhoon also. Will improve the look a lot!

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but I already have a Squadron vac and plan to use it, although it looks just a tad bigger than it needs to be (at least to my eyes).

Anyway, a serious problem arose. Just when I finished tidying up all the nasty glue spillages I managed to make, a nasty crack appeared right along the joint line!

It seems the kit just doesn't want to be assembled!

th_DSC03041_zps776eeb7e.jpg

I am going to stop using Revell's glue with the needle from now on, so I'm searching for a decent liquid glue.

What are your opinions on Model Master, Humbrol Liquid Poly and Tamiya extra thin (those are available in Serbia at the moment)

Which one of those is the strongest?

Edited by warhawk

• 2 months later...
This model seems to be cursed... As if it doesn't want to be assembled.
Seriously, it fell from the table, like, three times, so I had to do most puttying over and over (and over!!) again... :bangin:
But finally, new motivation for this build is found.
Ā 
Most work except puttying was concentrated on detailing the cockpit area, since the canopy will be posed open
That straight rail, which guides the sliding part is almost impossible to make in 1/72nd... ALMOST...
th_IMG_3231_zps8d056209.jpg th_IMG_3413_zps81acd694.jpg
Ā 
One fatal flaw for most kits in this scale (including this one) are the wings, which are too thin.
Since I just couldn't be bothered with more sanding, I tried to trick the eye to seeing some more thickness by adding couple layers of Mr. Surfacer...
th_IMG_3417_zps87dc47f0.jpg
Ā 
Lower cowl flap scratchbuilt from three pieces of soda can aluminum...
th_IMG_3419_zpsc6babce1.jpg
Ā 
As I found out, Rotol spinner was slightly different from the standard DH one. FINE.... :ike:
A pretty straughtforward fix, actually...
th_IMG_3423_zpscc01c800.jpg
Ā 
On 8/9/2012 at 11:43 AM, ben_m said:
The rim is far too prominent in the version photographed, so you are probably better off. It is hard to see the exact shape of the real exhausts from photos

Seems You were right all along, Ben.

Not a problem to fix

th_IMG_3424_zps7782bfde.jpg
Ā 
So, this is the final form before painting
th_IMG_3410_zps70e7ba3e.jpg th_IMG_3416_zps2d90c22c.jpg
Ā 
Soon... very soon...
Edited by warhawk
  • Like 1