Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

Hi folks,

well after falling out with my PC i was able to get 'most' of the pics so far onto the old photobucket, after it threw a fit!

I will update the thread when i get home, but on tea break at work so can throw some up just now :)

Cockpit:

P8062542.jpg

P8062541.jpg

P8062538.jpg

wheel wells and tyres:

P8092553.jpg

P8112556.jpg

P8112558.jpg

P8112557.jpg

Engines (some missing, will put close ups on tonight):

P8092551.jpg

P8112554.jpg

Reference material (from a members source!):

P8132559.jpg

P8132560.jpg

Main Cannon:

P8142561.jpg

P8142562.jpg

That's all i have for now, will sort out rest tonight.

Hope build will carry on as much fun as it has been :)

• 4 months later...

Hi folks, been an age since i updated this, but got back into the swing, mainly as i can see now with glasses lol

Progress so far, engine and wheel wells glued to superstructure.

Fuel tanks and bomb bays glued in.

Doors and such sprayed interior green, i will hopefully be spraying the plane over the new year.

This will lead to a lot more progress as the painting is a fair job!!

PC282714.jpg

PC282715.jpg

PC282716.jpg

VERY GOOD WORK IVE JUST STARTED MINE AND HOPE TO SOURCE SOME RED LETTERS AS I WANT TO DO A BLACK BOTTOM AND GREY GREEN CAMO ONE WHAT COLOUR HAVE YOU USED FOR INTERIOR AS IT LOOKS VERY MODERN RUSSIAN I HAVE FOUND AN ALMOST EXACT MATCH FOR RAF INTERIOR GREEN IN AN HALFORDS SPRAY CAN CALLED VAUXHALL REED GREEN SO AM GOING TO BE USING THAT KEEP UP GOOD WORK

Edited by bob the lanc lover

The interior green is Vallejo Game Colour Foul Green, it looked very close to the humbrol colour, but in actual fact is too bright, but i was well on by the time this became apparent and i am not going to try and redo the lot, so i will take a bit of artistic licence with the shade.

Sprayed all interior surfaces last night on doors etc, so will begin tacking it together and masking for first primer, then pre shading and the applying the ridiculous amount of paint.

I am using humbrol enamels to colour it, been yonks since i used them but i felt enamels may give smoother coverage over larger surface area, but we will see.

I rememeber building this one as a kid for my stepdad since he flew those in the war....ok ,ok he did most of the small add-on details. On my list to do someday.

Nice work on yours.

Oliver

Even though I'm a ship guy and haven't completed a wingy thing kit in ages, I have to admit that this is one of two airplane kits that I simply have to have and build. I've always thought that the Mosquito was one of the most beautiful warbirds of World War 2. The other "must have" is the new Tamiya 1/32 Spit. Looking at your work on the Mosquito makes me even more certain that I have to build this kit - even though I know my work won't look nearly as good as yours. Congratulations on some great work so far.

Bob

Lots done last night,

Completed front guns, made up and smoothed the drop tanks, sanded all joins and masked surfaces.

Will take pics of progress so folk can see before I prime it this evening.

Hopeing .to have it painted before back to work

Well progress has been fast and furious.

So much so i haven't been able to transfer the pictures from my camera yet, there are many!

But basically its finished! Sprayed the bottom Tamiya Sky and top Dark sea grey. Then a coat of Klear, the decals went on with minimum of fuss, a real joy, oh and the fact ww2 planes dont have eleventy million teeny tiny "no Step" etc decals.

then second coat of Klear, this was followed by Dot Filtering with oil paints and enamel thinners, which really gave the plane a used look that was subtle and i was very pleased with.

This was allowed to dry then gave Klear coat again, followed by panel line was (again hardly any due to nature of aircraft) then sprayed Klear and Tamiya Flat Base 70/30% to seal it all in.

Ancillaries are all done just got to glue them all on, bombs, doors etc, and spray some smoke effect on the chin guns and out of the nacelles.

Full build report with pics will go up tonight :)

I am taking it to the model club tomorrow so any Aberdeen members can see it :)

Very pleased with this as its my first proper attempt at weathering and it came out really well, so looking forward to using the skills on my next build.

Great looking build so far. The work done so far looks great. I shall follow your build as im looking forward to how the Mosquito kit builds.

The kit is a bit out of my price range at the moment and its great to see one being built and finished.

"Full build report with pics will go up tonight."

I cant wait to see how it turns out. The photos you posted look great as it stands.

:)

Sorry for no pics as promised,

I had an unexpected task to perform and was away from house for 2 hours!

Anyway, plane is 99.9% finished, i have taken memory card to work so i can upload a couple of quick pics at lunchtime so you can see i have actually done it, not just writing about the phantom mossie lol.

Edit: Pics as promised.

mos1.jpg

mos2.jpg

Very happy with it, apart from 2 minor issues, most annoying is about 6 speckles of what i can assume is super glue on the wings, about 1-2mm big, they could be matt varnished and you wouldnt see them but its odd how they got there.

The other issue is the matt varnish has got the slightest white note to it in some places, its very off, almost streaky rather than blotches so no idea how it happened as i tested the varnish mix first and all was fine, but it almost looks like faded paint or weathered exterior so i am not too bothered, its just a little thing.

Very happy with her, looking forward to next build, finishing my 1/35th Tamiya King Tiger which is half built.

Edited by Rick_1138

Has anyone else used this Halfords colour for RAF Interior green??? - I got a can today on the basis of Bob the Lanc lovers post but haven't had the opportunity to give it a go yet....

lovely Mossie btw

VERY GOOD WORK IVE JUST STARTED MINE AND HOPE TO SOURCE SOME RED LETTERS AS I WANT TO DO A BLACK BOTTOM AND GREY GREEN CAMO ONE WHAT COLOUR HAVE YOU USED FOR INTERIOR AS IT LOOKS VERY MODERN RUSSIAN I HAVE FOUND AN ALMOST EXACT MATCH FOR RAF INTERIOR GREEN IN AN HALFORDS SPRAY CAN CALLED VAUXHALL REED GREEN SO AM GOING TO BE USING THAT KEEP UP GOOD WORK